dumb quiz

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When is it ok to check chain tension on a running saw?

• When it is idling.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • When the chain break is on.

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • You dont put your F-ing hands near the F-ing chain when the F-ing saw is running!!!!

Votes: 26 72.2%
  • Huh?

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters
I take my 066 and reverse the chain so it runs backwards and I lash down the saw on the workbench with bungie cords. Then I take a block of wood and jamb the trigger to WOT. After it's running WOT, I take about a 12" flat bastard and lay it on the top of the running chain. In about 10 seconds the chain is "scary" sharp!!

It's somewhat hard on chains but I'm not into this one cutter at a time bullsh*t.

I believe the bastard got flat (tened) after the wife caught him in bed with the mailperson. But 12"????!!!! Not hardly............

Hey Dave,
Don't ya have a bench vise? Safer than the bungee cords. If one of those things snaps, it could put your eye out! :rolleyes: :D

Last edited:
that is along the same idea as the auto sharp saws that sears put out in the 60's-70's. if you got the right type of chain you would not even need to flip it around to sharpen it in that manner.

Hi Dennis, I cant really take claim for Dave's creative filing methods. I believe his methods were first used in the Mangrove Swamps of the South.
Here in Canada, we use a much safer method, whereby the saw is plunged into a standing pecker pole(usually an Ironwood) and with the saw dawged heavily into the bark and the tip of the saw extending from the other side of the sapling, and the saw on fast idle with the chain slowly rotating, a flat file is gently applied to the cutters, however the saw must be installed into the tree upsidedown to make this method effective.
This method can be dangerous though if the sawuser isnt prepared for the kickback that ensues while plunging.
Dennis, I was wondering how my chainsaw bicycle was coming along? I think the Stihl 08S powerhead should be fine. Could you get Ken to put an expansion chamber on the exhaust with silencer plates that can be installed while within City Limits?
I was thinking that a 48 T rear sprocket and 24T chain wheel would give the correct mechanical advantage for the torque required to reach the summit on the Cokahala Hwy.
Let us know how the Buffalo hunt goes and good luck.
John from Canada

John, I think I have the perfect bike picked out...but I was wondering if you wanted the arctic version with heated handle bars....we wont even have to use a generator system from the saw...we can just run the exhaust through the frame and into the handlebars, thereby creating an expansion chamber in itself...and it shouldnt be too difficult to install your noise regualtors using this system...I will have to get the exact measurements for the expansion chamber for that saw, so then we can chop the frame as needed...

We will discuss this more when you get here...

Happy Holidays all!! See you in the New Year!!

Buffalo Bill

You guys forgot to add the these methods where used by pro saw users in closed work shops and closed forest areas.

funny stuff

Every one have a happy and safe holiday
best wishes to you and your families for the new year

Latest posts

Back