Dumb Sharpening Question...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nch209

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Forgive me, this is going to sound dumb... either it is a novel idea and the tool I am looking for already exists, or folks are gonna laugh me right out of this forum.... here it goes.

Do they make a tool that fits into a vice that allows one to hand file chain that is off of the power head. I prefer to hand file, but when I am cutting I will touch up teeth as needed, but if its pretty far gone from hitting something, I will swap chains and sharpen later. Today for instance I tossed on a small bar and new chain for stumping, and then back to a big bar for felling, and have some used chains laying around that could be touched up.... would prefer to sharpen off the saw at my leisure without having to keep swapping bars and chains. This make sense--- anything like this exist, or am I going about this wrong?

I could always chuck an old bar in a vice, but its nice being able to lock the chain from moving to get a nice file job done...

Yes really dumb wow really dumb. I do not think there is any one here especially who has not done dumb and dumber. I sharpen chains on the saw way way faster than any thing else. I have a few vices that screw into a stump or log that is some what stable. There are a few threads that deal with vices. As long as the chain is not real sloppy loose the bar holds the chain quite well. Philbert and some others here are quite adept at what vices and chain holding devices work well. I often do not need to change chains or bars that might need access to a chain. Almost always mount up the bar and chain for any sharpening that needs extra. Wow did not seem all that dumb. Thanks

grab a old bar, chop saw the thing off to a manageable length (less than a foot) Use a die grinder to groove the end, weld a hunk of angle iron to one side so you can clamp the sucker in a vice and it will hang over the edge of the bench. I use one at the store all the time. Had to make another for the .063 stuff.

Now to ponder if I scab my own contraption together or grab one of Mr. Mikes clean/tried/proven ones. I, by nature, like to piddle around the shop, so this is a tough one! LOL!

I have some old bars and I keep considering making such a chain sharpening mount. Some day maybe. I find that I am mostly sharpening my own chains, so why take them off the saw? Only time I have to remove the bar is to do a good cleaning, and that is becoming a once a year thing anymore, just before the snow comes.

Back