Dump find.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've found a bar and piston for $50. The saw was free, but I'm aiming on keeping the saw and selling my 55 rancher. And my Poulan 3400 so any proceeds will go to the saw and any profits will be to boot. The saw is really good condition only one small chip on the clutch cover. As for the time, I'm 17, no girl friend, no car, no real responsibilities, so time is free for me. Working on saws is fun for me, so if I can't make money well I'll keep it.

Well if you would quit digging through the trash and wash your truck you might get a girlfriend.

Just so you know they aren't impressed with any chainsaws or your ability to make one scream, so just keep it between us boys and hillbilly women on AS.

I think it was a nice find. I like to tinker, myself. My dad owned a chainsaw shop for a LONG time. After he passed away a few years ago, one of my brothers and I were cleaning out one of his storage buildings and we hauled A LOT of stuff to the dump for scrap. We did keep a bunch of stuff that looked like it might be worth keeping though. I grew up in my dad's shop more than he did and I remember working on the big yellow monsters since I was about five years old. I kept a BUNCH of them to tinker with (so many that I still don't have a complete inventory yet - it's a BIG pile in the corner of my shop). I have a bunch of complete saws and boxes and boxes of brand new parts, still in the packages.
I enjoy tinkering so much that I even enjoy working on the Mini-Mac's. Even if it isn't really worth it to flip the saw, the satisfaction of hearing that saw fire off after it started out as a pile of junk parts, is more than worth it to me. That being said, I do try and not get too many dollars into one if I can help it.

I would really Keep the 55.They are twice the saw a ms290 is.You'll have a time getting the rear bar stud out to pull the lower clamshell.those themselves are $8.00 to $10.00 to replace.

The 55 Rancher is a Closed port "Pro" model
the 3400 Poulan is a "Pro" Model
the 290 is a Consumer "Clamshell"
Out of all of the Consumer clamshells stihl made the ms270 and ms280 were the better ones.Worked on way too many of the Smaller 025/250 based ones and the 029/290 based ones.

The 55 rancher is not closed port. Some regular 55's were, but those with the rancher designation were open ports.

What? You can pull the studs with these? I just used two nuts locked up against eachother.

Sure can. I am a diesel truck mechanic for caterpillar and use them at work alot. They have worked so well at home on the saws and other applications i bought a set for home toi. Lifetime warranty on the snap on truck.

Forgive me for regurgitating what others have posted, but I agree with the following:

Don't sell the Husqvarna 55 Rancher, or the Poulan 3400, unless you have a serious need for the money.

If the 290 p&c are beyond repair, try to buy a 039/390 kit for a price that fits your budget. Two good thing about Bailey's are they're a site sponsor, & they have a great reputation for standing behind their products.

Try to figure out the expenses in advance so that you don't wind up with a very expensive 029/039 hybrid.

Good luck, & keep us posted on you decide to do. There are many folks on this forum who will gladly help you with the 290 project. The geezers here--myself included--love to help youngsters get infected with CAD :cool2:.

Forgive me for regurgitating what others have posted, but I agree with the following:

Don't sell the Husqvarna 55 Rancher, or the Poulan 3400, unless you have a serious need for the money.

If the 290 p&c are beyond repair, try to buy a 039/390 kit for a price that fits your budget. Two good thing about Bailey's are they're a site sponsor, & they have a great reputation for standing behind their products.

Try to figure out the expenses in advance so that you don't wind up with a very expensive 029/039 hybrid.

Good luck, & keep us posted on you decide to do. There are many folks on this forum who will gladly help you with the 290 project. The geezers here--myself included--love to help youngsters get infected with CAD :cool2:.

I'm such a geezer I started referring to your 029 as a 290 :msp_ohmy:.

Back