Dump kit conversion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike PA

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I am looking at installing a dump kit on a mid-eighties super duty ford with basically a flatbed. Does anyone have any experience doing this? I am looking at the Pierce kit for 5 ton or 7.5 ton. Has anyone ever used these kits? Has anuone ever does this to a truck? I have a lot of wood to move and need to find a way to move it relatively quickly. Unloading by hand simply take stoo long. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have not done it to a truck but I just finished up building a dump trailer. If it's anything like my trailer, I will be glad to help you. A "hoist" is expensive, a cylinder and powerpack are not. From my understanding, a hoist will dump higher and quicker but not as much weight, if you can weld (and you probably will have to) I would put in a cross-member and install a cylinder, get yourself a powerpack , add some hinges and off ya go! I injured a finger on my right hand today and am having trouble typing acurately so I'll be watching this thread for you. I can take some pics of my dump setup. I can give you a website where you can buy the powerpack and cylinder reasonable.
Lemme know,
dave

A local independent bldg. supply has several one ton trucks with lifts under flat beds. I asked one of their delivery drivers about them. He said that all the drivers love them and that they seemed to be trouble free.

I have not done it to a truck but I just finished up building a dump trailer. If it's anything like my trailer, I will be glad to help you. A "hoist" is expensive, a cylinder and powerpack are not. From my understanding, a hoist will dump higher and quicker but not as much weight, if you can weld (and you probably will have to) I would put in a cross-member and install a cylinder, get yourself a powerpack , add some hinges and off ya go! I injured a finger on my right hand today and am having trouble typing acurately so I'll be watching this thread for you. I can take some pics of my dump setup. I can give you a website where you can buy the powerpack and cylinder reasonable.
Lemme know,
dave

If you wouldn't mind, let me know where you got your cylinder. I'm not a good welder, but can get some help from people who can. Anything you can provide would be a help. Thanks.

If you were closed Id offer my f-350 with the mason dump....can't promise that all the rounds would fall out though........hehehehehe

Thanks. I appreciate the offer. I would be using it too much to feel right about borrowing a truck from someone. I'm planning on dropping logs in the bed so there is less cutting on-site just to move things more quickly.

3 ton

i have done 3 dump bodies. 3 ton kit from northern is all you need for a 3500 type truck.and a 2 ton is what most get by with.k

did quite a few in the early 2000's,we used rugby kits,they were the subframe,the power unit,which was either power up,float down or power up and down,the hydraulics,and the body.done,8ft,10ft,12 ft and 14ft on 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.simple to install.

I picked up a 4" bore, 24" stroke and 2" rod at tractor supply, 229 plus the guvnah'
I lucked out and got a used powerpack off a friend who scrapped a big liftgate. (new units can be had from hydraulic surplus for between 250 and 350)
I am taking the trailer to work tomorrow, if the light is good I will take a couple of pics, the last ones were in the rain.

Thanks. Pics would help a lot. How much do you think it will lift?

I installed one of the rugby kits on my f-350. My truck has flat frame rails so it was pretty easy. It works great. If you are going to be loading the truck by hand watch out on using the rugby kit with the subframe. It raises the bed of the truck 4". That might not seem like much but 4" fior the subframe then another 5-6" for the flatbed rails and you now have a really high bed to lift blocks into. This really makes a difference when loading a lot of wood. Also figure out all your costs. You might be money ahead finding a truck that already has a dump and sell the one you have. There are a lot of good deals out there. But once you have a dump you will never have another truck without one.

Scott

I took a closer look at the truck last night. It does not have a straight frame. The bed is already lifted 3-4" on wood blocks to accomodate the frame. I've been looking for decent dump trucks, but most I'm finding are more $$ than I want to spend on a wood truck.

I am looking at installing a dump kit on a mid-eighties super duty ford with basically a flatbed. Does anyone have any experience doing this? I am looking at the Pierce kit for 5 ton or 7.5 ton. Has anyone ever used these kits? Has anuone ever does this to a truck? I have a lot of wood to move and need to find a way to move it relatively quickly. Unloading by hand simply take stoo long. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
there are a few cheap alternatives you can do. Depending on your transmission you can install a PTO(power take off), use an electric pump( snow plow, etc.), or run a pump on your engine.
As far as the dump components I would look for an old grain dump farm wagon. I found one for 5 bucks at an auction once. Anyhow you would have most of your components hinges, cylinder, lift, and extra steel to use for ?? You could also look for old one ton dumps on Craigslist, Ebay, local junk yards.
Depending on how your flatbed is mounted to your frame will make a difference too. You'll have to have a good welder to fabricate the hinges at the back of your frame and make your hinges where they won't bind while dumping. If you find the scissor type hoist like most grain wagons or grain trucks you'll have to "beef" up the lifting point of your bed and frame. You can be creative with your hydraulics as well for dumping and/or a crane/lift, or whatever.
If you have a manual transmission you should be able to find a PTO pretty easy for 50 to 100 bucks, a tank/reservoir for hydr. oil, a control valve, and hoses. When doing all of this I would find someone with hydraulics experience if you don't have any yourself.
I have seen used 1 ton dumps wrecked, blown engines, etc from 500 to ?? So I'd start shopping for the components and help with the installation and on the low you should be able to get it done for a thousand bucks. Around here you can find 1 ton dumps in decent shape for around 2500 and up.
Good luck.

wood unrollers

Have you looked at those relatively inexpensive unrollers that attach back at the tailgate? (Ya, I know you said you had a flatbed, just bringing it up, might work..) You stick a hand crank in there and it just slides your whatever you want out the back. I don't have one but looked at the videos and they look easy to use and work as advertised and are much cheaper than a dump conversion, plus don't weigh nuthin much at all..

Latest posts

Back