Husky 335RX trimmer/cutter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjm

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been looking for a decent trimmer/cutter for some time. My preference would normally be a Stihl, but not for any good reason other than I've had them before, and they've been good. Prices for new kit are ridiculous here in New Zealand, so secondhand is the go.

My spec for the trimmer is something with 2hp or more, light enough to use for a couple of hours at a time, and sufficiently mainstream to not present issues if I need parts.

A Husqvarna 335RX has come up for sale. I understand it was replaced by the 535 (which retails here at $1600); the 335RX has an asking price of $450 so represents a decent deal on new. It's claimed to put out 2.2hp, so that's good, and is described as 'fairly lightweight'. It's ticking the boxes.

Does anyone have personal experience of the 335RX? I'd not be using it commercially, but we've moved to a 4-acre block and there's been little maintenance in the last few years, so it will get a workout.

In the interest of 'taking one for the community' I've bought the 335RX.

It's going to be at least 15 years old; the previous owner used it very intermittently before putting it under the bench in his then new garage... And it has sat there for 13 years.

Fresh fuel, a little tickling between the primer bulb and the choke, and it fired up. Initial big cloud of smoke, mostly cleared. Ran a bit rough to start with but after a minute or so really smoothed out very well. Revs cleanly.

At 25% the price of a new 535 it could be a good buy.

Latest posts

Back