Dump Kits

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazak

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a 05 2500 GMC 4x4 with a 8' bed either in blue or a tan. I want to put a dump kit in NOT a dump insert. If you guys know anything about them or know a good manufacturer please respond. Thanks Jared

Last edited:
I am putting a eletric kit into a F-250. My friend got his from northern; cost was around a grand shipped to your door. Not to hard to install either and works well. I am going for the single piston one, not the siccor type.

If you are using the stock bed as your dumping platform then it will not last real long. The stock beds are not designed or built to withstand the torsional stresses of a designated purpose built dump bed.

i have had dumps installed on many 3/4 and 1ton pick ups for years they work great and yes the beds take a beating but the work load you will be able to do,, will buy you a new dump truck by the time its shot,, get the strongest one u can mount R

dump kit

the dump kits work well but the pick up body is the weak point. A friend of mine had one on his Ford f-250. used it mostly around his house. One day he loaded it up with rock for his driveway [ probably over loaded]. He wanted to dump a few piles along the driveway. Raised the body for the first pile and then put it down fast a little bit, not all the way down to the chassis. Well the body now has a nice bend in it right in line with the pivot point. Kinda looks real funny now.

a proper installation should prevent that ,,, a support the length of the body has been the solution ,,, if you only have one truck for work and play this is a great option R

they're pick-up trucks, guys. try two cubic yards of topsoil on a 3/4 ton. dump or not. you may get it movin', but ya can't stop it. just sayin'...........

these trucks don't come this way for a reason.

ctkite may have had some dump kits, but he's got nice dumps for the real work.

don't be mislead. full bore downhill in a line a traffic, you want something designed for the task.

you're hauling yard waste and such, well, a dump kit is perfect.....

cord is right on , i now have the trucks i need for the work i do but i paid for them with a pickup and a dump kit,,,,, easy on overloading a 3/4 i had 1 ton's
ya gotta start somewhere R

My first truck was a 3/4 ton GMC heavy Duty pickup that had been rolled, got it really inexpensively. It had eight lug 17" wheels and 4 on the floor and a V8. I built a box on the back, welded up a 'sled' with a ring on the back, chipped into it and tied off to a tree on the farm and drove away to dump the chips. About a year later I was about ready to buy a dump kit for it, but a fellow who did heavy equipment repair had a better idea. We went to the local truck graveyard and found a Chevy 1 ton truck that had been hit in the front. Had them cut ithe frame off right behind the cab, hoist it up and drop it on the 3/4 ton, and chained and load-bindered it down and drove home. Jacks under cab of pickup, cut frame off about two feet behind cab, and slowly slid the frame of the 1 ton over the 3/4 ton frame (a perfect fit), and when the drive shaft lined up, welded it fast. Ended up halfway between a pickup and a longbed, sort of a medium wheelbased truck. Bought a closeout cylinder ( for $270 from Florig in Conshohoken, PA) that was rated at 15 ton! and it came with a huge pump in tank as big as a small frame-mount toolbox, and a friend helped weld up a dynamite bed, built a box on it and had a nifty dump. Was great for getting in and out of backyards with the short wheelbase. And that huge cylinder was fun, could get a load of logs on it and literally 'toss' them off by engaging the pto and gunnig the engine.
And now I have a small pickup again :(

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back