Durability MS260 v. MS261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irhunter

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
First, I'd like the thread to be about the standard-carb 261. Not the 261CM.

I think, I understand the benefits of the 261. Airject, better air filter, choke somewhere other than in the air filter. Are there other benefits?

Now, how about the downsides? Does the control/choke assembly hold up? Does the stock choke have both H and L adjustments? Any problems which are more likely with the 261 than with the 260?

Thanks,

Roy

Both are excellent saws, there are differences in feel and shape. The older being rubber av, newer being spring. Different AF and choke setup.

The 260 has a tendency to pool fuel and release it when disturbed after idling for 10 or so seconds.

The 261 is a much loved saw and has many improvements, with the only downside of being a limited coil which can make it a bit more tricky to tune.

I’d take the 260 personally and do own one - they’re cheaper to buy, simpler, no limited coil, more affordable a/f, I prefer the rubber av, non stratocharged etc, but all of this is preference.

You’ll likely be recommended the newer 261 by most, if your budget will stretch. That is good advise for most people to take.

My preference is the 260, my recommendation is the 261.

I never ran a 261. There are so many 026's and ms260's still being used around here and the price of 261's about the only place I see them is dealers shelves. I am sure they sell some, they must be reliable because I never come across any for sale or trashed in any condition.
If i were buying of the 2, I would base criteria on affordability, weight and power. 260 is lighter, less power. 261 is more weight, but added power. Resale value is greater if you can afford it to start with.

I seem to recall early 261cm having clutch drum or clutch bearing issues.

Anyone else remember that?

The 261 control/choke assembly holding up well?

In any case, I would only be buying a non-runner 261. I currently have a pair of 026 and a 260.

Haven't ran a 026/260, but I've ran quite a few 261's.

Dead Reliable, High mileage and ran hard (with regular maintenance), Never had an issue with one.

All the mechanicals and body parts have held up well, nothing broke or gets stuck (unless you're smashing them with a tree).

The annoying part are the limiter caps on the carb, but you just remove them.

Mad3400

The 261 is light-years ahead of the 026/260. Better av, way better filter, choke set up that doesn't suck and wear out over time, more power. I think it feels better in hand, less bulky. I liked my 026 and enjoy running it from time to time when I'm at dads, but I wouldn't take it back over a 261, carbed or mtronic version.

I am one of the few that actually like the flippy caps, but you have a good argument on the carb. The 260 carbs suck. I always replace them with a WT-194.
I don’t mind the function of the flippy caps, I quite like it when they work, they can just be more prone to let debris into the tank when you remove them to refuel.

I don’t mind the function of the flippy caps, I quite like it when they work, they can just be more prone to let debris into the tank when you remove them to refuel.
Just keep spares when you are at work I had plenty break or leak, maybe the helper is the cause of the broken ones.

Have you noticed the flippy caps being more prone to leaking? I’ve noticed if there’s any debris between the tank and o-ring they leak, also they don’t seem to be as durable vs the threaded caps.

I am not really a careful side-by-side comparison guy. That said, both my 026s and my 260 seem great. No complaints, no issues. Even with the original 260 carb and a Chinese carb on one of the 026s.

They all came to me as non-runners.

As far as caps: #1 Husky screw caps with the flip-up feature, #2 Stihl screw, #3 Stihl flip.

That said, the difference between all three is no-big-deal for me.

I did dump a whole tank of bar oil down between my pack and my shirt with flip cap once. User error!

I have had any number of Stihl screw caps leak (in addition to those needing new washers). And, my share of just worn-out Stihl flip caps.

Roy

Latest posts

Back