Durability MS260 v. MS261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got an O26 I have used for years and a new 261c, both great, haven’t ran 261 long enough to say yet, liking it a lot so far…

Both are excellent saws, there are differences in feel and shape. The older being rubber av, newer being spring. Different AF and choke setup.

The 260 has a tendency to pool fuel and release it when disturbed after idling for 10 or so seconds.

The 261 is a much loved saw and has many improvements, with the only downside of being a limited coil which can make it a bit more tricky to tune.

I’d take the 260 personally and do own one - they’re cheaper to buy, simpler, no limited coil, more affordable a/f, I prefer the rubber av, non stratocharged etc, but all of this is preference.

You’ll likely be recommended the newer 261 by most, if your budget will stretch. That is good advise for most people to take.

My preference is the 260, my recommendation is the 261.
T1

Have you noticed the flippy caps being more prone to leaking? I’ve noticed if there’s any debris between the tank and o-ring they leak, also they don’t seem to be as durable vs the threaded caps.
I don’t use that saw much honestly, and it’s the only one with flippy caps, it’s probably only had a max of 20 tanks through since the rebuild, no leaks yet though. I could see why it can occur, especially with slightly aged o-rings and an inability to tighten it more than the cam allows, but I’ve not experienced it.

I don’t mind the function of the flippy caps, I quite like it when they work, they can just be more prone to let debris into the tank when you remove them to refuel.
Regardless of which saw I'm running, I always keep a small chip brush with me and use it around the oil & fuel caps before I open them. It seems to help.

026 has a lot more get up and go, i have owned both, like 1/3rd more
Port timing numbers are better on the 026 vs 260

I prefer the old 026 over the new 261. 026 weight is less then the 261 but not sure I could tell if I held them both up the 026 just fells slimmer or more nibble to me. Also I'm just not a fan of any strato saws.

The stock ms261 does put out more power than the 026/260 but I would like to see how they compared fully ported.

First, I'd like the thread to be about the standard-carb 261. Not the 261CM.

I think, I understand the benefits of the 261. Airject, better air filter, choke somewhere other than in the air filter. Are there other benefits?

Now, how about the downsides? Does the control/choke assembly hold up? Does the stock choke have both H and L adjustments? Any problems which are more likely with the 261 than with the 260?

Thanks,

Roy
I had the early version of the 261, 2013 model, regular carb, that had H and L adjustments. Used it and dang near wore it out in a commercial firewood setting, which had saws running a ridiculous amount of hours. Did lots of removals and other jobs with it too.

To be honest, I came away a little disenchanted with the saw. It served me well but it was the fastest, hottest, and loudest saw I had at the time. It wasn’t the smoothest of the bunch either. Seems like they’ve improved, maybe? The saws I ran then were the 261, two 550xps, a 576xp, an Echo cs370, and an Echo cs 680.

The 261 pulled well for its displacement. Its top end showed more wear than the others after about 3 years, and I ended up selling it to someone. The controls were pretty durable and I never had problems with the clutch drum bearing. The air filter wasn’t anything to scream about.

No experience with the 260. Based on my experience, I wouldn’t pay “new 261 money” on a 261, ever.

Latest posts

Back