Dusty-Brown leaf discoloration

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfwoodvt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey All,

Been noticing a number of trees, mainly Quercus rubra, that have leaves exhibiting a "dusty brown" appearance. I've also seen it on Fagus grandifolia.

When looking at the whole tree, you get the impression that it needs a good feather dusting.

We've had a fairly good year for precipitation: consistent & sufficient. Temps have been regular and warm to hot for this region. Plenty of drying time after the rains, very few cold/cool damp days.

The brown coloration progresses from the vein outwards, appears evenly distributed and has no defined edges.

It almost looks like someone took the leaves and sprinkled very fine cinnamon over them with more covering the middle than the edges.

The green appears to be covered by the brown as opposed to replaced by the brown. However, the brown can't be rubbed off.

At first I thought it was scorch but the distribution of the brown seems too even and progressive across the whole leaf and it travels from the vein outward rather than the other way around.

I've gone through "Diseases of trees & shrubs" by sinclair and haven't found anything yet that approximates what I'm seeing.

Any thoughts?

I haven't had my camera available to take a shot but will try if anyone needs a photo to help.

Ok, I got my camera out. First I must apologize as the upclose leaf description I provided was second hand info from a client and not quite accurate.

The leaves are exhibiting chlorosis from the veins outward. The green is gone and the brown is more of a tan color. The Backs of the leaves generally are not showing any chlorosis.

:dizzy: Lets try again... front view of cluster of Quercus rubra leaves and back view of a single Quercus rubra leaf.

I also had a chance to look at the Fagus grandifolia sapling that looked similar from a distance the other day. I found that it was suffering from mechanical damage. I have to assume no relationship then with the Quercus issue.

Back