Dwarf Cherry - yellow leaves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vuotto

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This will be the second summer I've had this dwarf Cherry tree. I put some grass clippings around the base to keep the weeds down and keep me from having to mow too close to the trunk. This year I've noticed some of the leaves are turning yellow and then dropping off and I'm not sure why. Am I not watering enough?

I attached a picture of it.

kinda hard to tell from the picture, but i would guess at a defeciency in the new soil. there does appear to be some spotting on the leaves but i cant make it out.

how often ARE you watering it?

youll get more of a response tonight. most of these guys are out working...

I water about 1 gallon every 2 days. I took the picture at night and it didn't come out that well.

To much water on young roots. You may be creating a situation called anoxia (lack of 02 in the soil). This will deplete the micro-organisms that aid in root development as they are all aerobic (02 breathing) fungi and bactetria. My BASIC recommendation is to water once a week in absence of natural rainfall.

The grass mulch is also not a favorite of mine. It can be hydrophobic, keeping water from passing through to the soil, or hold water in to the trunk if piled up too closely.

Before watering, actually physically check the soil. It is one thing to keep a young tree evenly moist and another to drown it.

As UF stated, roots and their necessary soil micro-organisms need oxygen. If we deplete that, deterioration and decaying organisms can take over.

A better picture taken during the day would be helpful.

Sylvia

Latest posts

Back