E-Classic from CB.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyG

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just ordered one yesterday, $8,550. Has anyone had any experience with, or do you know someone who has? There new, so I guess the feedback will be limited.

You are the first one that I have seen here that is getting one. Please let us know how you like it!

I'm looking forward to seeing you review.

rx,

it's three weeks out at this point. I thought I'd opt for a clean burning unit as my neighbor is about 150' from the place where the unit will be placed.
I'm planning on running it late fall to early spring, when the windows start to open, I'll shut it down.
This particular neighbor is trouble for the entire area, I'm expecting alot of phone calls to the township supervisors.

i see you're in PA.

i believe we had a thread here that there were some counties in PA that were initiating ordinances on OWB's. by all means, check first before spending all that money.

Just brought one home today myself. My local dealer got the 3rd stove off the line at end of January and got it sold and hooked up and had it running for the rest of winter. This stove needs dry seasoned wood to work to it's potential and had very minimal smoke with dry wood. I guess if a person plans to cut wood then burn it without seasoning it won't work very well as I have been told. Was also told another guy replaced his 6048 with a 2300 and wood consumption dropped by a third. Good thing you got yours because prices are skyrocketing because steel prices are increasing often. Was also told to fill the firebox full of wood and treat it differently from the regular central boiler.

jd,

initially I'll have a hard time getting seasoned wood. I guess I'll have to try harder to secure some of it, I don't want to annoy the #### out of the neighborhood.
Good luck with the new unit!

If I prepped some trees right now, would they be ready for say...November?

Last edited:
Just Curious, How big is your neighborhood, lot wise.
Are you an acre apiece?
I'd love to be able to get an awesome owb/gss

Yeah Tony,
If you split up the logs now, theyll be ready for Nov. unless they're red oak, which take longer.
If you can segregate out some maple, beech etc to start off the season, you can get your timng down

Great,

I'll get started this week.
Unfortunately, the lot size is a 1/4 acre on top of the mountain. There are two homes that might have an issue with this. If I us good wood, burn only during the cold months, I should be ok.

Red Oak? One year?

Boosh, this venture is running about $11,500, burner, insulated pipe, slab and a variety of fittings...stings for sure. However the alternative is 950 gallons at what...$4.00...$5.00 per, year after year.

Last edited:
1/4 acre?

1/4 acre and a owb? I hate to say it but you are going to have lots of problems unless that thing burns extremely clean. I live on 1.8 acres and wouldn't even think of putting one of those in. I really think you need more space, but good luck!

That sure is possible given the land we have,

I'll run this during the winter heating season. Also, this unit "must" be fed cured wood to really shine. Were living at the top of the hill and there's usually always a breeze.
I guess this CB 2300 will be put to the test!

Last edited:
i want to get one of those however i have crappy neighbors and dont want to start a war

War!

that's already started with the neighbor behind me. This unit could fart $100 bills into the air and she'd call and complain. I won't bore you with the details, and I've never had trouble with neighbors in the past...never. Were pretty easy going people, but this certifiable witch just can't leave the neighborhood alone, very vicious and calculating.
I have called the township, and they gave it there blessing. This however doesn't guarantee future compliance with the local and county government code.

I'm rolling the dice here Dusty :D

Be sure to let us know how it performs. My friend wants to get an OWB this year, and I have been suggesting this unit to him because I know he is too lazy to cut 12 cords of wood every year. If this unit could cut wood use in half it would be worth the extra cash. However he is so cheap I can see him getting a $6000 unit to save some money, and he is not hurting for cash, trust me

Husky,

I won't take possession of the burner for maybe three weeks. I will run a test to see what I have, and report the finding on stack opacity and odor with the standard 8' pipe. If I'm forced to go taller on the stack, I will, just not initially. That will run $1,500 more.
This unit is "suppose" to reduce wood consumption by 20-30%, I have nothing to measure this by. I'll assume that 15-20% is possible compared to a CB 6048, and leave it at that.
Maybe others here can shed some light on this subject with there own 2300 vs there older owb in the future. I hope to post some finding here around the end of June, early July.

One note: I think I can get away with 5-6 cords from November through March for a 3000sq' home.

Last edited:
I got my 2300 3 weeks ago and have pad ready for stove just a matter of getting it on there and hope to have all underground pipe in by first of July, but do not plan on firing till fall. It is a good thing you got yours because prices have went up 1500 dollars since beginning of the year.

jd, this dealer bought up alot...

of units once the price increase was announced. I caught it in time.
He's bring with him a pre-cast slab and three extra sections of pipe. The ditch for the Thermo-Plex and conduit is finishing Saturday.
Were going to run a test with this unit, however, we won't fired it up for the winter season until October sometime.

Can't wait...right now I'm raising my middle finger to fuel oil :censored:

Smoke on start-up

Don't know about the new CB furnaces but my dealer warned me that my CB6048 would smoke like crazy for the first few days due to the finish on the inside of the chamber. He wasn't kidding. The smoke was something else for at least the first week or so. At one point I called him to discuss adding two more sections of chimney to help get rid of the smoke. He talked me out of it and advised me to hang on. Have had it running non stop since Nov at 180and it hardly smokes at all. The only tme I see a lot of smoke it when I forget to add wood and the water temp drops below 140. Takes a lot energy to get the water temp back up. Good luck with your new boiler !

Back