E clip keeps popping off of sprocket on 066 !

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozarkjeep

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My newly aquired and repaired 066 from this thread

http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=79268&highlight=066+redeye

starts and runs fine, oiler works GREAT ( dang LOT of oil!)
cut for 30 seconds, or free rev it, and the E clip shoots off.

the groove LOOKS fine, measures 8.1xx MM inside the groove.
Both E clips were NEW, and installed correctly.

is there something I possibly assembled wrong on the clutch side that would put outward pressure on the clip?

what in the world is going on with this saw?!

are you sure it the right sized eclip? is it possible that stihl uses a specialally sized clip or a thicker clip or one with higher tension? get a clip from the dealer and try it. I would also check the roller bearing in the clutch and make sure the clutch isnt worn.

they were NEW from the local stihl dealer.

is there a different size clip for the old 066 ( smaller crank alum flywheel) versus the newer 066/660 ?

I said were, not are, because I was unable to find them!

one hit my shoe as it exited.
the other I assume bounced on the driveway and went on a lunar excursion.

If they are E-clips from a cheapo bulk pack they might not work. The opening on some of the cheapo ones is not deep enough and the clips themselves do not have enough spring to them.

Couple taps with a hammer to squeeze them a little tighter, they do take a bend without breaking.

they were NEW from the local stihl dealer.

is there a different size clip for the old 066 ( smaller crank alum flywheel) versus the newer 066/660 ?

I said were, not are, because I was unable to find them!

one hit my shoe as it exited.
the other I assume bounced on the driveway and went on a lunar excursion.

You beat me to it.

Do you have the correct washer with the dished area?

well... heck.

I have A washer there, with a dish depression in it.

it is easily possible that it got mixed up with another such washer in my pile of stihl parts.

Ill try and verify the part number.

Other wise, Ill try closing the gap some with a hammer, or a vice and trying that.

its unnerving as hell to have stuff spinning at 12K rpm flying off at any given time.

I thought it floated a little.

Ill just tear the clutch side apart again and go thru it and verify.

for the first time ever, I put the clutch on with a rope in the plug hole, and the scrench.

Maybe I should have used the impact like I normally would do.

:confused:

If you are running stock sprockets nevermind this post, but I did find that with oversized dansco sprockets the pin ends on the gear stick out on one side and would hold the sprocket off the clutch drum and cause the clip to pop. flipping the sprocket with pins out fixed the problem. I can't remember though if this was on 066 or 088 or both.

The clips have an inside and outside surface....subtle difference..one side has a slight taper to facilitate easy install. That side goes up.....
and there are two different washer styles......

Latest posts

Back