Bailey's sprocket washer and E-clip for MS460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good sugestions. I do have snap ring plyers that I have been trying to use to help, but the clip is just so tight in the groove that it makes it impossible to get any spread on it. Yes the chain brake is off, I tried it both ways. The heat idea is a good one, it just might give me enough room to get it off!

Here is a pic looking down at the clip you can see how deeply it sits in the groove, and where I am having the issues getting it started for removal.

attachment.php

Here is a slightly side view of the way the bearing sits.

attachment.php

Take a pair of pliers and try to bend the washer down a little. You might be able to start the clip out on one of the ends. if you do cut it off I would use a dremel with a thin wheel for sure.

I have had trouble before on that setup, with the e-clip etc.

The aftermarket suppliers did not thnk thicknesses would be a problem.

Take a pair of pliers and try to bend the washer down a little. You might be able to start the clip out on one of the ends. if you do cut it off I would use a dremel with a thin wheel for sure.

I don't see a better way than the dremel with a thin cutting disc. Least likely to damage something

I don't see a better way than the dremel with a thin cutting disc. Least likely to damage something

Yea I would angle the wheel in at the top of the clip into the thin part, where the two prying holes are. Angle it just right and you won't come close to the crankshaft.

I have one silly question...

Why did you feel you had to grease the clutch bearing just because you were cutting bigger wood? I'm not sure I understand... :)

Gary

Not a silly question. I didn't grease the bearring because I was cutting bigger wood, it just happened that I hadn't greased the bearing in a while, and when getting my saw ready for the next morning (fresh gas, top up the oil, sharp chain, dress the bar) I thought it a good idea to grease the bearing. So it was done as regular maintenace, not because of the wood I would be cutting.

Thanks for the other sugestions, hopefully I will have some time this evening to work at it.

Howdy,
The one that mtngun received was a Taiwan aftermarket. Whether you to call them aftermarket or not, about a year ago we switched to using Oregon only. Just by size description, the bearing should be about .472" long. I pulled apart a new MS440 and measured the bearing, it was .459 just like mtngun's bearing. As close as I can figure, with everything installed, there is about .030" of free play. Keep in mind that it's a brand new saw so that clearance could grow a little with use. I will have our inventory checked and, I'll see if Oregon will tell me the exact specs. are. I can see where it would be way more difficult removing the clip without that clearance. As far as getting a clip off, I use 2 flat bladed screw drivers. I twist one to force the clip outward while I use the other to pry upward. I'm not sure if there will be any good method to get it off with out clearance. Sorry for the problems. We'll certainly replace whatever you need to get back running again. I'll post again as soon as I have some more info.
Regards
Gregg

Howdy,
The one that mtngun received was a Taiwan aftermarket. Whether you to call them aftermarket or not, about a year ago we switched to using Oregon only. Just by size description, the bearing should be about .472" long. I pulled apart a new MS440 and measured the bearing, it was .459 just like mtngun's bearing. As close as I can figure, with everything installed, there is about .030" of free play. Keep in mind that it's a brand new saw so that clearance could grow a little with use. I will have our inventory checked and, I'll see if Oregon will tell me the exact specs. are. I can see where it would be way more difficult removing the clip without that clearance. As far as getting a clip off, I use 2 flat bladed screw drivers. I twist one to force the clip outward while I use the other to pry upward. I'm not sure if there will be any good method to get it off with out clearance. Sorry for the problems. We'll certainly replace whatever you need to get back running again. I'll post again as soon as I have some more info.
Regards
Gregg

Thank you Gregg!
Like I said before, it's sure nice to deal with a company who stands behind their products, and does what's necessary to help their customers!

Thanks for all your help, I'll be looking forward to your answer

Adam

Good sugestions. I do have snap ring plyers that I have been trying to use to help, but the clip is just so tight in the groove that it makes it impossible to get any spread on it. Yes the chain brake is off, I tried it both ways. The heat idea is a good one, it just might give me enough room to get it off!

Here is a pic looking down at the clip you can see how deeply it sits in the groove, and where I am having the issues getting it started for removal.

attachment.php

Here is a slightly side view of the way the bearing sits.

attachment.php

Isn't that clip fun to mess with. Getting it off takes about 5 seconds. Take a thin flat screwdriver and drive it under the clip with a hammer and pop, off she'll come. You will ruin the clip, the force will bend it out of shape which is why it will pop off but the washer will be fine. I used to scratch my head dealing with them till I found that clip is no match for the hammer....

Howdy Adam,
Just got a call back from our Oregon Distributor and they had 2 different bearings in the same bin. So I'm not sure if the wires got crossed at Oregon, or our distributor. We should have replacements on the shelf ready to go tomorrow. Please send me your order number, or customer number, and we'll get you fixed up.
From my best guesstimation, we had 11 of these get out there. So if anyone received one of these bearings, contact us and we'll make it right.
Regards
Gregg

I had trouble getting the E clip off of my 460 and it would not budge. I was over 45 minutes into it and rather "not happy". I released the brake and the E clip came right off.

Thanks everyone for all your help. I was finally able to remove the clip. I ended up using the suggestion of applying heat to melt the bearing cage to make enough clearance to get the clip off.

I just want to send a special thanks to Gregg at Bailey's. The service is second to none, and they have a customer for life.

Thank you
Adam

Just an update to this thread.

Gregg at Baileys sent me out a second set of bearings to replace the wrong ones. Unfortunately the replacement bearings were exactly the same as the first set of incorrect ones. He confirmed that there was some sort of distribution issue, and even suggested that I go to a Stihl dealer to get the correct bearing, and he would even eat that cost, as he wouldn't be able to get the correct ones for another week. I declined, as my local dealers didn't have them in stock, and I opted to be patient.

I was contacted again by Gregg and he let me know that this issue with the incorrect bearings was a VERY wide spread issue and he called around to distributors and was able to locate the correct bearings from a distributor in Kansas, and arranged for the bearings to be shipped directly from them. The bearings arrived in short order, and as I anxiously tore open the box with hopes of getting the large logs cut up and removed from my yard, my hopes were crushed as I realized that again I had been sent the incorrect bearings.

I found a Stihl dealer that was somewhat close that had the bearings in stock, so Friday after work I took a little trip and picked them up.

Here are a couple of pictures of the bearings. On the far left is the one that I had to melt to get the eclip removed, and on the far right is the Stihl OEM part.

attachment.php

With the bad cell phone pic it makes it look like some of the ones in the middle are larger/smaller but they are all the same size according to my calipers.

Here is a close up of one of the incorrect bearings, and the Stihl
attachment.php

You can see how even the bearing ends are different. The Bailey's ones are tapered where the Stihl one isn't

Finally here is the Stihl bearing in the calipers. If you remember from the other posts, the bearings from Baileys measured .499
attachment.php

The Stihl bearing is clearly smaller.

I would like to send my sincere thank you to Gregg at Bailey's. The customer service is second to none, and even though I wasn't able to get the correct parts, I feel good about the whole transaction. Bailey's has ensured they have a customer for life, and if you haven't ordered from them, I would encourage you to do so for your chainsaw needs. You just don't come across service like this anymore!

Just an update to this thread.

Gregg at Baileys sent me out a second set of bearings to replace the wrong ones. Unfortunately the replacement bearings were exactly the same as the first set of incorrect ones. He confirmed that there was some sort of distribution issue, and even suggested that I go to a Stihl dealer to get the correct bearing, and he would even eat that cost, as he wouldn't be able to get the correct ones for another week. I declined, as my local dealers didn't have them in stock, and I opted to be patient.

I was contacted again by Gregg and he let me know that this issue with the incorrect bearings was a VERY wide spread issue and he called around to distributors and was able to locate the correct bearings from a distributor in Kansas, and arranged for the bearings to be shipped directly from them. The bearings arrived in short order, and as I anxiously tore open the box with hopes of getting the large logs cut up and removed from my yard, my hopes were crushed as I realized that again I had been sent the incorrect bearings.

I found a Stihl dealer that was somewhat close that had the bearings in stock, so Friday after work I took a little trip and picked them up.

Here are a couple of pictures of the bearings. On the far left is the one that I had to melt to get the eclip removed, and on the far right is the Stihl OEM part.

attachment.php

With the bad cell phone pic it makes it look like some of the ones in the middle are larger/smaller but they are all the same size according to my calipers.

Here is a close up of one of the incorrect bearings, and the Stihl
attachment.php

You can see how even the bearing ends are different. The Bailey's ones are tapered where the Stihl one isn't

Finally here is the Stihl bearing in the calipers. If you remember from the other posts, the bearings from Baileys measured .499
attachment.php

The Stihl bearing is clearly smaller.

I would like to send my sincere thank you to Gregg at Bailey's. The customer service is second to none, and even though I wasn't able to get the correct parts, I feel good about the whole transaction. Bailey's has ensured they have a customer for life, and if you haven't ordered from them, I would encourage you to do so for your chainsaw needs. You just don't come across service like this anymore!

Thank goodness!!

Latest posts

Back