Sprocket came off 462

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livemusic

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Was bucking a big oak log with 462R and after about three, I noticed the newly sharpened chain was cutting to the left and as I quit I heard something kind of rattling in the saw. Noted that the chain was super loose. Took saw to the work table and took clutch cover off and I found that the retaining clip and the silver washer looking thing under the retaining clip was gone. Found it on the ground back at the log. I took the sprocket and bearing out and they look ok. Why would this happen? I note that the silver washer looked rough, worn. I bought this saw used, have run it maybe a dozen hours. Has 25 inch bar/chain on it.

Rectangular section clips like that often have a side with nice square edges and one with rounded edges. Put it on so the square edge side is taking the force. It'd be to the outside in this case.

I would've never known that if you had not said. I am not sure why it matters, but I believe you!

Say, I cannot get the e-clip back on. Even before I tried, I noted that when I assemble the parts back in proper order, there appears to be not enough room to get the clip back into the groove. And sure enough, we tried and tried and didn't get it. I got it on, yes, but it is not down in the groove. Anyone have a clue why all of the parts are not going deep enough into the saw such that there is not enough groove to get the clip in?

BTW, is there a tool to get e-clips inserted?

TIA!

I would've never known that if you had not said. I am not sure why it matters, but I believe you!

Say, I cannot get the e-clip back on. Even before I tried, I noted that when I assemble the parts back in proper order, there appears to be not enough room to get the clip back into the groove. And sure enough, we tried and tried and didn't get it. I got it on, yes, but it is not down in the groove. Anyone have a clue why all of the parts are not going deep enough into the saw such that there is not enough groove to get the clip in?

TIA!
Did you have the clutch off? Is this a new saw that anyone else had apart before you? Only ask because this problem is usually associated with the components from the oil pump outward being stacked up incorrectly, from the pump drive outward there is a big cover washer that must be correctly orientated due to its shape, concave side inward, then the clutch properly tightened down, correct drum bearing in place then the outer concave washer that E clip fits in. If all components are not in the correct order then there is no room for the clip to slide down and into the groove in the crank. I have dealt with this problem on several saws others have dropped off after they worked on the oil pump. There is no special tool required to install the E clip.

Did you have the clutch off? Is this a new saw that anyone else had apart before you? Only ask because this problem is usually associated with the components from the oil pump outward being stacked up incorrectly, from the pump drive outward there is a big cover washer that must be correctly orientated due to its shape, concave side inward, then the clutch properly tightened down, correct drum bearing in place then the outer concave washer that E clip fits in. If all components are not in the correct order then there is no room for the clip to slide down and into the groove in the crank. I have dealt with this problem on several saws others have dropped off after they worked on the oil pump. There is no special tool required to install the E clip.

As I said in OP, I bought it used and it was in great shape, appeared to have low hours. I have sawed maybe a dozen hours. What you say sounds like my problem, there is def not enough room to get the clip into the groove. Maybe the former owner had it apart. I will have to look deeper, I have never messed with an oil pump at all, so, it's all new ground for me. Thanks for the info. (No, I have not removed the clutch.)

TIA!

Make sure the clutch and clutch drum are fully seated. The usual culprit is not getting the wire that drives the oil pump into the notch on the clutch drum. Sometimes I need a flashlight. If you removed the clutch itself you can also put the big washer that's between the clutch and oil pump on backwards. That may or may not keep the clutch from seating all the way.

If everything is assembled right there's just enough room for the circlip to go on with a light squeeze from a pair of pliers.

I hate the new style washer Stihl came up with and have replaced all on my newer saws with the old style. No more problems.
the newer ones are a bad design, imo. installing the C clip seems to weaken it due to the extreme tight fit and no give with the newer washer.
my .02

@livemusic I just use a t wrench to slide it on with a thumb over the end in case the e clip is a flyer.
What's up bud.
When in the woods I use the spark plug side of the scwrench. Put the clip on, then put the scwrench on over it, then push. If it doesn't go on it stays right there instead of flying to the next parcel :cry:. Then again, I typically have extras in the truck and it's not usually too far away.

I hate the new style washer Stihl came up with and have replaced all on my newer saws with the old style. No more problems.
the newer ones are a bad design, imo. installing the C clip seems to weaken it due to the extreme tight fit and no give with the newer washer.
my .02
I’d have to agree. PITA to deal with.

TIA!
Buy a new pk/10 e-clips?

my .02
Curious, what did you use to replace the oem washer? Just a regular flat washer?

Back