EAB in full swing in Ohio

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin in Ohio

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Last summer I went through my woods and paint ringed the dead ash trees that the EAB had killed. Had maybe 14 trees. Decided to cut and haul some now as I had some time between projects. I don't normally cut in warm weather but sometimes you do what you have time for.

Quite a shock as now there are several hundred dead up there. Sad to see as it was a nice stand but it will be put to use at least. Plus, it is on the homeplace so no road time. Cut some yesterday and loaded/unloaded 2 loads this morning. Hard to beat a nice piece of ash! ;)

Won't cut too much as about 5 more cord will fill the furnace house for next Winter.I already had about 9 cord in there I'll leave the rest in "standing storage" for next year. Never thought I'd see that whole woods wiped out like that.

MVC-001S_28.JPG

MVC-003S_14.JPG

MVC-002S_21.JPG

I wonder if you knock them down that will dry up the sap going to the cambium layer where the larvae are feeding? And thus kill them?

That is an amazing pickup load! More than half a cord? Have you stacked and measured it?

That will stack out at just over 1 cord. Hundreds of loads like that over the years with this 1/2 ton. At least this wood only gets hauled in the truck once! We normally store all our wood under roof once it is cut.

That will stack out at just over 1 cord.

Mercy! You know ash weighs about 4000#/cord. Even though it's been dead for a year I doubt those logs have lost much water weight.
That poor truck!

From what I understand with EAB, they enter from the tops of the trees, so by the time you find signs of them at the ground level, it's way too late. People around here that still had "living" ash trees a few years ago are now saying they're dying. They were good as dead a few years ago, unfortunately.

Nice haul, Kevin!

Damn that old Chevy is earning it's keep. That's a cord easy , maybe a cord and a quarter!

On my little three acre plot of woods I have around twenty dead standing Ash and atleast five more on their death bed. I've been storing them vertically as longs they're a good distance from my house and out buildings because my wood storage areas are jam packed with Ash trees from my neighbors. I burn around 5-6 cord a year and at that rate I've got five+ years of wood piled everywhere but the roof !

I'd be willing to bet you could slip a playing card under those front tires! LOL
Sorry about your trees. I have three big ashes in my front yard that are still going strong with no signs of infestation, but it's just a matter of time I guess.

We've had EAB here for a few years now and I thought to leave the dead trees standing for storage,but it's not working out.
The dead standing trees are really decaying,especially at the tops.The upper part of the trees are like cardboard,I think I could crumble it with my hands.If I had the room I should have cut them a long time ago and stored it under a roof.

That's like putting a full size car (from the 70's) in your box!!!
Truck's odometer started working half the time and now has quit. Shows 250,000 but probably around 350,000 miles. Strictly a wood hauler now and owes me nothing. Did replace the rear axle but that was before any overloads. Typical trans problems and blown head gaskets before the wood as well but since the hauling started 15 years ago, no issues. No tire blow outs either. I drive it with anticipating others and at a sensible speed. No highway stuff, just rural roads and such.

MVC-022F_1.JPG

MVC-005S.JPG

MVC-001S_5.JPG

MVC-001S_8.JPG

MVC-005S_2.JPG

Dad in the boiler building as we stacked it to the roof.

Very sad to see a species such as ash on its way out. At least people are taking advantage and putting the wood to use. I would have to say you got your money's worth out of that truck Kevin!!!!

No tire blow outs either. I drive it with anticipating others and at a sensible speed. No highway stuff, just rural roads and such.

I'm guessing you're running 10 ply LT's on that old girl? Makes a big difference on a 1/2 ton. Don't think "P" rated tires could handle a load like that!

I'm guessing you're running 10 ply LT's on that old girl? Makes a big difference on a 1/2 ton. Don't think "P" rated tires could handle a load like that!

4 ply tread, 2 ply sidewall Kumo's on the rear. What's interesting is where I used to work they bought 3 Cummins Dodge Diesels when they first came out. Had Michelins E rated from the factory and 7 out of 14 tires blew from belt shift within 2 years. Finally came down to me refusing to drive them until they were switched out. Went back to Non E rated tires and no more problems.

Had a Goodyear E rated blow on my daily driver too. It was never overloaded and was 4 years old with 75% tread left. Did a number on the bed as the belt did not come off and never lost air pressure. I was at 45 MPH with nothing in the bed when it let go.

MVC-019S_21.JPG

MVC-015S_1.JPG

MVC-018S_26.JPG

I have not been too impressed with E rated tires as you can see. I have G rated Dunlops on the 5500 so we'll see how they do.

Latest posts

Back