EAB in full swing in Ohio

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My company HQ is located between Dayton and Cincy. I noticed the dead/dying ash trees along I-75 this spring while visiting the office. It was shocking to see the difference in such a short period of time! Must be nice to have that amount of wood available for cutting/splitting, but it's so sad to see such a wonderful tree being devastated this way...

That is a lot of wood in that truck. You can stack like that with ash, no way you can do it with oak, hickory, etc. Good luck and hope it keeps you nice and cozy this winter!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is a lot of wood in that truck. You can stack like that with ash, no way you can do it with oak, hickory, etc. Good luck and hope it keeps you nice and cozy this winter!

Wet Bitternut hickory

MVC-005S.JPG

MVC-006S.JPG

That poor truck. Hickory is waaaayyyyy heavier than ash, too. Must have taken 60+ ash trees, cut into large rounds and moved every one by hand without issue. Got to the lot where it's all oak, hickory, etc - bought a tractor! Back can only take so much, so I can certainly feel for your truck :)

YUP!

that borer has left us with
gobs of dead Ash too.

Them bugs are long gone by the time the bark starts popping.

They seem to hold on pretty good in 'standing storage'.

Nice loads. My '96 Dodge H.D> 3/4 does not like much over 2 ton, 4000 on a 1/2 ton is pretty impressive.

Got a few projects caught up and got back to filling the boiler house for the Winter. Weather for July has been sweet as this is the first time I've cut much in the summer, normally a cool weather thing for us but I had time sooo...

MVC-001S_29.JPG

Forgot to take a pic of one load but here are the others. I allready had a good bit left in there from last Winter but wanted to stack it to the gills with all this dead ash. Going to clean out all the honeysuckle now in my spare time so it's nicer to deal with and just looks a lot better.

MVC-002S_22.JPG

MVC-001S_30.JPG

MVC-001S_32.JPG

MVC-001S_33.JPG

MVC-002S_24.JPG

Back view of above load.

MVC-001S_34.JPG

MVC-002S_25.JPG

Made a sloped walkway of wood as I went so I could stack it to the ceiling. Normally just stack it 8 1/2 ft high but wanted to get as much as possible while I was at it.

MVC-004S_12.JPG

Here you can see it going to the peak The Boiler is an old Stainless SCL5648 SB Central Boiler that is still going strong after 11 years.,

MVC-006S_7.JPG

When I measured it all out it ends up being 17.5 cord. Basically no room left in the 20 x 20 building with the boiler in there. I can walk around the near side here to get to the back but that is it. Nice to have wood that close to home as there is no travel/road time.

Oil man's nightmare! ;)

Got the furnace house all full and decided it was time to get ready for next year's cleanup. Wanted to make it easier to get to the standing dead ash so I'm going to clean out all the honeysuckle. I've let it go and it's time to get rid of it. Plan is to root them out with the Backhoe, cut the burnable size out, burn the stumps and chip the rest. This will leave the ground bare so the plan is to level it out to some degree and seed the ground with grass. I'm not going to plant any trees till all the ash is out as dropping them would take some new planting out. I'll do it in a few sections as I have cleared driveways first. Woods is about 6 acres so we aren't talking a forest here but there is still a lot of junk to get cleaned up.

MVC-001S_35.JPG

This gives you an idea how thick this stuff is. Ground is basically bare as it creates a canopy that light doesn't get through. Some of the honeysuckle is over 8 inches in diameter.

MVC-002S_26.JPG

Close one here is about 7 inches. It actually makes it easier when they are this mature as there are less small ones to deal with. Some of the chutes come close to 40 ft long.

MVC-003S_16.JPG

After cleaning out the 4 parallel driveways I worked up the section between them. Here is the first section all done ready for chipping.

MVC-004S_13.JPG

I lay all the brush in a row with the ends facing the same direction. That way I can back the chipper up the line and get it all out. Neighbors want the chips so either chip directly into their trucks or dump trailers. You can see the wood and stump piles along the line. Takes some time but the end result is worth it.

MVC-005S_10.JPG

After the ash is out there will only be a few junk locust and Mulberrys. I plan on getting the grass seed down and probably spraying it with brush kill to get the new honeysuckle chutes. Anyone got suggestions? I probably will plant the trees with enough space to bush hog between them. We'll see how it goes as I'd like to get half of it done this year.

MVC-007S_4.JPG

Got a load of rounds to split for Dad. This stuff was on the ground but non of it was doady. Mainly ash but had one Mulberry in there.

Got some time and Dad said he'd come down and help feed the chipper so we got another round knocked out.

MVC-001S_36.JPG

Hauled out about 5 full size truck loads doing the driveways and put some on the ground as well. Buddy wanted some so we loaded up his dump trailer. Here we are just getting started.

MVC-002S_27.JPG

It's not as fast as a commercial unit but this has done all I have asked of it and it feeds plenty fast enough for me. With 2 guys it is just about perfect. The more you keep it constantly feed in the better. The hydraulic feed wheel never stalled once and fed the stuff in remarkably well.

Ended up being just over one completely heaping load in the center section.

MVC-003S_17.JPG

Looks a lot different now and also makes it look smaller.

MVC-004S_14.JPG

Just got done hauling a decent size load of all the limb wood size. I'll get the stumps out next then start on the next section with the Backhoe. Slow but sure ;)

Honey suckle is seemingly bullet proof. Looks good though. That $hit comes back quick

Wonder why everyone is moaning about the truck? I am moaning about your back if you load all of those with your hands!

Great pics btw!

Wonder why everyone is moaning about the truck? I am moaning about your back if you load all of those with your hands!

Great pics btw!

Yeah I get tired occasionally but then I go into work for 10 hours to rest! ;) Those were all loaded by myself by hand too. Doesn't take too long to get a load when they are of size as it's less walking trips per pound. Needless to say, I don't have a gym membership.

Very sad to see a species such as ash on its way out. At least people are taking advantage and putting the wood to use. I would have to say you got your money's worth out of that truck Kevin!!!!
The ash is growing back well around my area. I have several pencil thick trees growing through my garden fence. I hate to kill them but they have to go.

I recently removed 3 EAB damaged trees from my property and there are about 6 more in line for the same treatment. The trees were still alive when I cut them down and it made a real mess out of my bar and chain. There was a resin that gummed up the chain so bad it completely filled the area between the rivets on the chain. The only thing I could find that would dissolve the resin was castrol purple power at full strength. Has anyone else experienced this with green ash. I have cut plenty of dead and dry ash with no such problem.

I was in North Central Pa. this weekend past and much of the ash in that part of the state is well on its way to being killed off. I'm wondering if EAB will be like the gypsy moth and leaving them alone will be the only thing that will be effective in controlling them.

Same here in C Ohio. I thought mine were going to escape but this summer I have gone from no sign of EAB to every Ash tree on the farm is either dead or dying. With all the dead Ash around it is worthless at the mills so it's all going to firewood. Between the Ash and the Walnut tops from last years logging I am DEEP in wood to cut up.

38120- I have never run into saws getting gummed up from green ash. Green/wet has always cut faster for me with no issues. Dead stuff tends to dull the chains faster but NOTHING like dead osage will do.

Vibes- They will find those little ones too after all the bigger stuff is gone. They started on the bigger ones here first. Took longer for them to completely die off than the 10 inch and unders. I had a spot where there was a bunch of 1 inch and unders growing and they looked fine a year ago. Now they are mostly dead and shed leaves all through the summer. Toast.

Butch- I'm in your boat. I'm loaded up but wanted to get all the stuff I could off the ground first. Standing dead is in "air" storage till I have space. I refuse to stack outside in the weather and don't like tarps. 100 cord under roof now.

Had some other projects that got priority but still plugging along when I can.

MVC-003S_19.JPG

Here is our old IH backhoe. Kinda smaller but it gets the job done. It's a diesel as well so doesn't use much fuel. It's sadistically fun to root out these honeysuckle and throw them to the side.

MVC-002S_28.JPG

Worked my way down through this section. There are a few live trees in here so I worked around them. saving them if at all possible. Maple, walnut, Mulberry, hackberry and black locust.

MVC-003S_18.JPG

The honeysuckle were larger here and had a higher canopy. Made less digging as there were fewer smaller ones.

MVC-002S_29.JPG

Most of them averaged 5 - 8 inches in diameter. Here is a clump that had 12 inches solid at the wide point.

MVC-001S_37.JPG

Wood adds up quick with these and they are long, slinky and straight. I burn this stuff in my shop stove once dried out. Goes quick but makes quick heat and it's better than burning it in a pile, chipping or piling up an mess. Too big for any brush hog I have to chew up.

MVC-004S_15.JPG

This gives you an idea of the canopy. Put it along side the truck to give it some scale. Average is 16 - 20 ft and some get a lot bigger. COMPLETEY shades the ground out and nothing can grow there. Just keeps going up to get light, building on itself. I had just a few 3-5 inch trees that somehow made it through. They are so top heavy that now they have leaned over without the honeysuckle holding them up like a support system.

Back