EAB - Is It Here?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WoodHeat,

If I remember correctly, I am just south of you. I spoke with the DCNR guys, they "officially" have not found the EAB in any of their purple detectors. However, they have found a few mature specimens. I have found a few ash trees that even the gov't boys have confirmed as being killed by EAB, but since there are no live specimens, it is not quarantined yet. My father lives in Western PA and has a few hundred acres, the EAB has killed over half of his ash trees already; so I have gotten a good look at it. It is here, just have to wait for the official signal. BTW, I have "seen" it in Berks County, not Montgomery yet.

Well that DCNR chart says it all. It will be throughout the East shortly. The mulch plant near my house has 3 mountains of product ready to ship wherever thats probably ful of all sorts of pests. Its right off of the Pa. turnpike so much of it will end up in the Philadelphia subburbs.

You can take those kinds of things to your Penn State county extension office.

WoodHeat,

If I remember correctly, I am just south of you. I spoke with the DCNR guys, they "officially" have not found the EAB in any of their purple detectors. However, they have found a few mature specimens. I have found a few ash trees that even the gov't boys have confirmed as being killed by EAB, but since there are no live specimens, it is not quarantined yet. My father lives in Western PA and has a few hundred acres, the EAB has killed over half of his ash trees already; so I have gotten a good look at it. It is here, just have to wait for the official signal. BTW, I have "seen" it in Berks County, not Montgomery yet.
Kinda like waiting for a big storm - you know it's going to be bad and nothing will stop it. :frown:

WoodHeat,

If I remember correctly, I am just south of you. I spoke with the DCNR guys, they "officially" have not found the EAB in any of their purple detectors. However, they have found a few mature specimens....

I have a relative who is an actual dendrologist. According to someone VERY high up in the U.S. Forest Service, they have NEVER, EVER, been able to verify that those purple traps do anything but spend taxpayer dollars. Guess its one of those cases where they want to appear like they're doing something and are not just completely helpless against this invasive. Kind of like trying to stop a winged insect with a firewood quarantine.

I'm midway between you and Philly and live in a wooded development that unfortunately is 3/4 large ash trees. My home's southern shade is provided by a beautiful large ash. I've thought about protecting it, but the DCNR's present 'plan' is to remove all ash in a half mile radius when an infested tree is found, so it would make no sense to spend money on this.

Latest posts

Back