Ear protection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Paul Sanborn

Above average climber
Reaction score
Now lets talk about htis.

I preffer muffs.

Hate the foam plugs, think they're an invitation to infection (been there personaly).

Tom, where do you get your plugs (Tigertails?)?

Due to heat and lazyness, I use the foam plugs that are on a stiff plastic band.

The down side to this is that the band pushes so tight that if you wear them for a day, you will confess to anything.

I have to agree that muff are the best.

Nate

Ear muffs are great and easy to put on/off.

Ear plugs are more effective but are inconvenient to use, especially the foam ones. The plastic ear plugs with ribs seem like the best of both worlds - easy to use and work well. If I could only find some....

JPS, since you're dying for someone to ask, I'll take the bait. What kind of infection?

Nick

I can't find them any more, but I used to get the rubber plugs on the stiff plastic band. The plugs were yellow and smooth, conical shaped. The band was blue. The plugs were easy to wipe off, as they had no ribbing.
I don't like the foam inserts, they are grody after a couple hours, you'd need 20 pr per week.
Too hot down here for the muffs, but the Peltor (or Stihl) muffs are nice in less than 90* weather.

Those yellow and blue ones don't seem to do much for me, but it could just be the shape of my head and ears and everything....

Nickrosis

Nick, you're not supposed to stretch'em over the point!!:eek: (sour-eye, couldn't resist!!!!)

i like the same ones TC (i think)that is why i buy em from our host (Caboflex #15709 $6). They are so light to wear i fergit to take them off when i'm not using'em. They have slick 'vynil' on the outside (doesn't pick up dirt etc. very easily), and are conical shape that slide pretty easily slides in the ear canal. If i'm climbing, after cutting i might take one side out to listen etc.; that as replacing plug in the ear takes 1 finger lightly, maybe slight push in after.

Very cool, comfortable and light to me. i think the NRR is lower than some other options, but if ya wear 'em more..... anyway they werk for me, with brain bucket too. Can go on after most models, unlike my bugz goggles, that cut down light, and don't fog up. They're very good for scaring lil'innocent kidz too, a real plus!

Sorry about the aural inflection JP, what percentage of cranial danmd-age was that again? How much longer on the (miss)-treatmeants?

those are the ones, Ken

Thanks for mentioning Sherrill. I hadn't thought of looking there (major brain fart). Page 45, 2002 catalogue. Gotta get some my next trip down to Vermeer.

Good, try this pic again though........

i put the numbers by the produx sometimes because the URL trick doesn't work; so Sean asked that we not do that. So you can go to Sherrill site through the link above and copy/paste the number in the search window and voila! (#15709)

I don't like muffs.-They are hot and don't seem to seal well over the earpieces of my glasses. I prefer the foam plugs. Many brands(not all) are washable/reusable. Different strokes...

Beware there is a fungus among us.;)

I use the banded plugs too, and have three different brands-Bishop, Sherril, and Wesspur each have a different model. They all work. Whichever store offers replacement buds is the favorite...
the Caboflex are the least comfortable, it seems....but they're just fine...

Ive been using Tiger Tails since early summer. They're nice because they are always close. they do get dirty but are easy to clean. I put a pair on my safety glasses in my home shop too. When I use loud power tools like the cut off saw, table saw, sanders ans grinders I put in the plugs.

http://216.120.94.37/cgi-bin/WebObjects/HLSite.woa/wa/product?key=tigertails

Most safety supply houses should handle the Tails.

The coiled retainer is a slip fit on the plug and the tube that goes on the glasses bow. this is nice in case a branch snags the coil. All I do is lick the end to lubricate and put the coil back in the ear plug.

Tom

Originally posted by John Paul Sanborn
Some sort of fungal thing that was loving my ear canal. Itched like an SOB. Took a week to get rid of it.

Probably a combo of moisture and some little critter that decided to move in. The worst infection I ever had was after a week to SCUBA diving on the west coast some years ago. Could hardly stand up!

It was a saprophitic & soil born that came from rolling up those foam plugs with dirty fingers. Pull them out to have a conversation or durring a break....

Back