Early 08S Clutch Carrier Removal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PogoInTheWoods

Don't forget about the alligators...
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Any solutions/suggestions for removing this? None of my several 08S IPL's are old enough to show this type of spider. It appears to be threaded, but is also clearly indexed somehow making me think it's a press fit like the carriers that are actually tapped for removal with a specialty tool made for the purpose. The backing 'washer' also seems to be part of the spider itself vs. a separate thrust washer and is flush with the case all the way around the bearing/seal seat which leaves no space/gap for using a jaw puller for removal..., almost like it may require a bearing separator to pop it loose. It's not budging trying to pull it straight off with vise grips.

As usual, TIA for any enlightenment.

08S Clutch Carrier.jpg

The service manuals all show a tapped carrier which you use the special removal tool. I am guessing this is the first time you have taken this saw apart and if so is it possible that the last person who put the saw together put the carrier on backwards with the tapped holes to the rear. Only my guess since I have not seen one without the tapped holes.

You beat me to it. And thanks, Harley.

I have that service manual, too. Something tells me someone along the line installed this spider back assward with the threaded holes for the puller facing the case.
All I really need to do is replace the springs, but the replacement springs are a tad shorter and I highly doubt I'd be able to assemble the shoes first and then spread em far enough apart to get em back on the spider with the springs already in place. May not have much choice, but I just found a part number discrepancy for the springs that looks like there actually are supposed to be longer springs on this particular clutch. Later IPL's show the relatively common 0000-997-5811 on the right with the one on the left being what I think is a 0000-997-5727 and came out of this clutch. That number comes from an older German S10 IPL and doesn't show up anywhere else I've been able to find.

08 Clutch Springs.jpg

Would still like to get the spider off if anyone has any suggestions. Think I'm probably looking at a bearing separator, tho. Tried the flywheel approach by smacking the nut on the crank and holding the saw in the air by the spider and vise grips but it ain't budgin'. Don't want to use heat for fear of trashing the seal.

Back