Stihl MS251 clutch drum stuck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kubik

Reaction score
Hi!

My Stihl MS251 won't pump chain oil anymore. I started to take the saw apart to check the oil pump, however, I don't manage to get the clutch drum off. I can lift it about 5 mm, but then it stops. I can turn the needle bearing with a thin screwdriver, and the drum spins freely when the brake is open. The e-ring and washer are removed, see attached picture.
Question - how do i get the thing off other than dragging it out? Have I forgotten something? Should i use brute force or is there a smart solution?
Also - the drum rotates for quite a while when i spin it, shouldn't the metal wire from the oil pump somehow be located in a groove and stop it?

Thanks for any advice!

Attachments

• drum.jpg
    drum.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 11
Thanks for encouragement! I got it off using locking pliers and a gear puller. There was a ring of rock hard dirt holding it in place over the clutch. Will clean the oiler tomorrow to get it from a black lump back to shiny.

Thanks for encouragement! I got it off using locking pliers and a gear puller. There was a ring of rock hard dirt holding it in place over the clutch. Will clean the oiler tomorrow to get it from a black lump back to shiny.
That will happens every time it’s just build up

Back