Early Spring?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thuffman7121

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I live here in the Midwest and seems like Spring is sure in a hurry to get here. (Supposed to be in mid 60's this week.) Some trees are already starting to bud out and the flowers and trying to bloom and it is only Mid-February! Not sure what to do because I have several trees that need some pretty good crown reductions and not sure if it will harm them at this time secondary to warm weather lately. Several diff. species including soft maple, walnut, and hickory. Any suggestions? I need to get this done for the home owners, but also don't want to risk hurting the trees if they are past their dormant stage. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but not used to Spring trying to spring this early.

It's the same out here in So. Calif. Granted we don't get a real winter, but we have had no winter at all yet. I was trimming some fruit trees a few days ago a three day job and before I was finished they flowered in full bloom. I have a few vines of grapes and their leafing out, and the California poppys in my yard are blooming.
I worried on the fruit trees because trees use up a lot of stored energy breaking bud and flowering, now if we get a few freezes it can set the trees back and they have to start over again, that could be stressful for older or less then healthy trees I would think.

... worried on the fruit trees because trees use up a lot of stored energy breaking bud and flowering, now if we get a few freezes it can set the trees back and they have to start over again, that could be stressful for older or less then healthy trees I would think.

I share your concern. Cab apples are blooming and Blackhaw and Mayhaw have already set fruit. Several Oaks in my yard have set their pollen catkins and are starting to leaf out. We very often have a freeze in early March, could be a bad year for all the fruit bearing trees if we get it this year. Could also be a lean year for the deer and pigs next year if the oaks dont set acorns.

80 degrees today. Had no winter at all. I still have 8 of ten cords of oak I usually burn to heat my house and I am splitting wood for next year. I was excited to score a good haul of water oak for next years fire wood, but it might rot before I get a chance to burn it. Sound like I am complaining? I do enjoy a nice cold winter when I have lots of fire wood. Guess early spring could be good for the folks that run Central Heat, Oil, or Propane though, saving some money.

Latest posts

Back