Eastern Hemlock lightning strike

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NP Hemlock

Reaction score
Unfortunately a very old large eastern hemlock near my house was struck by lightning. The tree is estimated at 250 to 300 yrs and is about 100+ feet.
It suffered a full length "centerish" split and top 15 feet or so of tree was blown off by strike.
Two tree companies (tree cutters) said it will not survive and should come down. Is there any information available on the survival of large old eastern hemlocks after a severe lightning strike?
Of course safety is a concern as well as tree is close to road and house and other very large old tree (maples)
Would like to evaluate maybe topping tree to reduce blow over risk and see if tree may recovery or die, then take down.
Really very upsetting to lose such a magnificent tree!
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bill

I doubt many will be able to give useful advice without seeing pictures - if you have access to a camera, grab some photos when you can.

The pictures tell me that thing needs to come down especially if it is near a house. I enjoy big trees as much as anyone, but if it comes between putting someone's life at risk and taking it down, I'm taking it down. I have seen plenty of storm trees that look perfectly healthy and the get a little ice, next thing you know they are laying through one side of your house. I wouldn't attempt to save this one. Just my opinion.

NP Hemlock,

Man that one took a hit!

You say you've called some treecutters.

Call an arborist who is qualified and prepared to give you a risk assesment.

From you photos alone, it looks like you might have to prepare to call that tree a total loss. However...

I've worked similar trees with similar damage, managed to preserve them with mechanical help, engineered solutions for heritage trees, but it took some deep pockets.

I encourage you to spend the small amount for a proper risk assesment by a qualified arborist, not treecutters, then decide.

RedlineIt

Last edited:
Damage to bark and wood looks terminal, though with careful and regular care it could remain in a shorter size. Attached from TCIA and below from the ISA site re repairing is fyi.

http://www.isa-arbor.com/publications/Lightning/Summaries/Meilleur7.2.07_LP_edit.pdf

http://www.isa-arbor.com/publications/Lightning/PdfPresentations/Meilleur_LightningMitigation.pdf

If you have any other tall valuable trees, consider lightning protection systems.

mite try tree bolts have an experienced worker install them wait till next year if it lives before cutting to balance out tree

Latest posts

Back