Eastern Hophornbeam (Ironwood)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1project2many

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I posted a few pictures several months back regarding wood I thought might be some version of Elm. It had vaguely similar bark, serrated leaves, and seeds which looked very similar to seeds found on Elm. Lotsa guesses from AS but nothing definite. Even a local forester didn't have a good answer based on the pictures. I happened to find another tree from the same family with large sections of naturally peeling bark. That clue enabled me to ID the tree as Eastern Hophornbeam.

Ironwood.jpg

ironwood16.jpg

ironwood15.jpg

ironwood2a.jpg

Dec_Hornbeam_02.jpg

To confuse matters this tree is not the same as American Hornbeam although both trees share the common name Ironwood. American Hornbeam has a smoother gray bark with the appearance of muscles and sinews throughout. Eastern Hophornbeam has clumps of light yellow seeds which are present through the spring and darken through the end of the summer. More pictures can be found here:
Eastern Hophornbeam aka Ironwood pictures by misc_photos_01 - Photobucket

Last edited:
As you probably know, all the Ironwood varieties make excellent firewood. The wood density is impressive.

Cut as much as you can, that wood is awesome for heat. Just don't load the stove with it , you whould have to replace the grates afterwards.

Good write up with great pics.

Beefie

I have noticed at least around here that Hophornbeam is one of the most hard to ID tree for people. Maybe because the average joe calls anything harder than ash, Ironwood. Just the other day i went to look at a tree to take down for a guy. He said it was a ironwood and hard as a rock. It was a hackberry :laugh:

Its a great firewood though.

Though I've cut some hornbeam here in NH...... its never very big. I don't think I've ever seen one around here thats more than 6 or 8 inches across? Figure maybe its not the right climate for them to flourish ?

Part of the trouble identifying EHHB is that the bark gets rougher and more scaly at the tree ages, younger trees are almost smooth, and get more like the OP's pictures as they get older.

I'm gonna bring in some of my stash tomorrow, cold snap coming later this week.

the bottom pic looks like shag bark hickory to me

Yep. If you're in an area where this tree grows it might be worth it to recognize the differences. The leaves don't grow in the same 5 leaf pattern as the Hickory leaves and Hickory will grow a lot larger.

Shagbark Hickory
attachment.php

Ductape, from my reading, and from watching these trees on my property, they aren't fast growing. Websites say they get to maybe 12" max diameter and stay fairly short. They seem to be happy living in the shadows of other trees which also points to slow growth.

I'm not the only person to confuse this tree with Elm:
European farmers used relatives of the hop hornbeam to make yokes for oxen, from whence the name "hornbeam" arises. These trees were also referred to as "yoke-elms."
Other good info at Ostrya virginiana

We have both the American and Eastern hornbeams here.They don't get very large and tend to grow in creek bottoms as understory.
I don't cut them unless I absolutely have to.They are a slow growing tree that clearcutting has greatly reduced.More common names for the American hornbeam is Carolina beech and Blue beech.
I did have to cut a couple in a fence clearing job a couple of years ago.I cut them in roughly 4' sections and put them in the barn.I may find time to turn some wood some day and would like to try this one.

im currently working up three trees of this stuff thats 15-22 in diameter. grows strait and tall around here and there is tons of it cause nobody knows what the heck it is. awesome firewood and you definitely know what is its when you start splitting it, very stringy.

Yup, slow growing for sure, that's where they get the density I think. Around here, they don't get much over 8" before they tip over. I've cut stuff that was 4-6" and 50 years old.

I don't cut em down, but when they tip over, they're MINE! I need to get over into the corner of the woods I call Ironwood Alley and get some more on the stacks for next year and beyond. It dries slow, but it's not a very wet tree even green. I split most of it that's 4" or bigger just for better drying. It can be real stringy, as noted above, but some of it splits easy. Depends on the tree I guess. I've got some real big burls on some of mine out in the woods, when they go I'd love to see some bowls or whatnot made out of em.

In my opinion, best mixed with Maple in the stove.

Though I've cut some hornbeam here in NH...... its never very big. I don't think I've ever seen one around here thats more than 6 or 8 inches across? Figure maybe its not the right climate for them to flourish ?

Same thing here in Ohio. My guess would have been 6 to 8 inches also.

The first picture is definitely ironwood. The 2nd picture labeled 7" sure looks like elm to me. The bottom picture of the two trees is also Ironwood. We have a lot of it here in upstate NY, I try to save what little I cut for the real cold nights that are below zero. Didn't have nearly enough of it this year!

Around here it seems to die before it gets bigger than 10" in diameter. I found a bunch of it this winter in the back part of the woodlot, but I am afraid its too wet to ever get to it back there. EVen as cold as it has been, the ground was still wet.

Tim

Latest posts

Back