Eastern Red Cedar _ This should keep me busy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brookpederson

Prairie Lumberjack
Reaction score
Had a customer bring in a couple big loads of nice cedar W/ one more load on the way. Good size logs too, some are 24"+ and for ERC that's good size. About half is going to be cut at 6/4 for some picnic tables, and the rest mostly 4/4. This should keep me busy cutting on our little manual 1220 timberking for awhile.

View attachment 232717

The crazy part of the story is that the guy that brought them in said he hired a tree guy to get them on the ground for him. The tree's were in a row running next to some primary power lines. They tried to pull them over with ropes and a truck pulling against the wind and away from the power lines. I bet you guys can guess how it went since I'm telling you all about it. Yup the rope snapped and
they took out the lines, ended up costing the tree guys ins 10,000 bucks to straighten everything out w/ the power CO :dizzy:

Nice trees, too bad he didn't just call the power company and AT LEAST get them topped beneath the lines...for free! At least you get the beautiful wood. Let's see some pics once ya have them opened up!

That is some big stuff...they hardly ever get that big here...

Nice trees, too bad he didn't just call the power company and AT LEAST get them topped beneath the lines...for free! At least you get the beautiful wood. Let's see some pics once ya have them opened up!

The only thing i get is the sawdust and slash out of them. We are cutting them up for him, either way it's sure gonna smell good around here tomorrow:cool2:

Yeah, they never get that big here in CT either... Last time I milled that stuff the smell of it which I normally like, became overpowering. I liked the purple color it had when it was first milled, but it rapidly changed to the more common rusty red color...

i love cedar,one of my most favorite woods. ive seen some big ones but they tend to be short. bases bigger than 24"s but only 8' to 10' max height. ive also noticed alot of those big ones when cut have hollow insides.

Latest posts

Back