Easy Trick to Make Trimmer Line Stronger

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karrl

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A lot of you probably know this but tried it the other day and it really works. Take your spool of trimmer line in a bucket of water for a couple of days. The nylon line will soak up the water and make itself more flexible. The ends don’t fray as much and the line lasts longer. It’s a pretty big difference especially If you have an old spool.

A lot of you probably know this but tried it the other day and it really works. Take your spool of trimmer line in a bucket of water for a couple of days. The nylon line will soak up the water and make itself more flexible. The ends don’t fray as much and the line lasts longer. It’s a pretty big difference especially If you have an old spool.
Interesting? Does it swell much? Never tried it, yet.......

How does one go about measuring "lasts longer", with trimmer string? This amounts to saving, supposedly, a dime with each full days use? This is almost as fascinating, as the old timer who wants to WELD up the teeth on a $6 spur sprocket......

How does one go about measuring "lasts longer", with trimmer string? This amounts to saving, supposedly, a dime with each full days use? This is almost as fascinating, as the old timer who wants to WELD up the teeth on a $6 spur sprocket......
You ever have to wack down a half acre of yard that’s 4ft tall before mowing it let me tell you it ain’t fun and you go through a lot of line . I won’t touch any line anymore unless it’s square or like the ugly line triangle at at minimum .095 I use a pre cut line head much faster then having to deal with a spool.

You ever have to wack down a half acre of yard that’s 4ft tall before mowing it let me tell you it ain’t fun and you go through a lot of line . I won’t touch any line anymore unless it’s square or like the ugly line triangle at at minimum .095 I use a pre cut line head much faster then having to deal with a spool.
I fire up the tractor with rotary cutter/brush hog

I fire up the tractor with rotary cutter/brush hog
Don’t have one and hard to get into a lot of fenced in yards anyway even if I did wouldn’t want to use it on some of them yards all kinds of junk hiding. In the process of building a walk behind sickle bar mower out of a free pile power washer that the pump was junk in some mower parts and the blade/gear box from a parts echo hedge clipper.

It doesn’t really swell at all but it does feel softer and more pliable. Kinda feels like fishing line. If you have a brand new roll it might not make a difference but a lot of times a spool will sit on a store shelf for a long time before it gets sold. Stihl even recommends it on their website.

https://www.stihlproline.ca/en/tech-corner/stihl-trimmer-heads-and-line

Don’t have one and hard to get into a lot of fenced in yards anyway even if I did wouldn’t want to use it on some of them yards all kinds of junk hiding. In the process of building a walk behind sickle bar mower out of a free pile power washer that the pump was junk in some mower parts and the blade/gear box from a parts echo hedge clipper.
Hidden junk is hard on sickle bars.

She touched on this at about 3:45.

The idea of storing your trimmer line in water is older than dirt.

It's pretty well known that nylon absorbs water which makes it more flexible and tougher. It does make it slightly weaker but the increase in toughness and flexibility is what really matters for a trimmer line.

Latest posts

Back