easy way to remove sheared dawg screw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a welder and I still wouldn't use it on this unless for an absolute last resort. It just is not needed at all. If we were talking about making it more work then it needs to be then I would say bust out the welder lol
I guess you've never tried it. Takes me under 5 minutes. The difference in thermal expansion between Mg and Fe frees it very quickly because of the intense heat the welder puts into the bolt.

I don't use a washer, I Tig a bead right to the bolt head. Two or three on top of it, then a vice grip.

One has to question why it broke in the first place. If the head snapped off when trying to remove it with a wrench, do you think a slot and screwdriver will get it out?

Dave, not sure what you've got as a welder, but if it's a mig, get a fender washer that just fits over the head of that. Clean and slightly sand the broken bolt head and the galve off the fender washer. Place over it and weld bolt to washer. Then put a nut on and weld nut through its center hole to the fender washer.

The fender washer will protect everything around it.

The thing that is awesome with extractors, what ever is broke broke full diameter. Now we are going to drill alittle hole in it and back it out with this file hard piece of kryptinite called an extractor.
What is more fun than getting a broken off easy out back out of a hole?;)

I guess you've never tried it. Takes me under 5 minutes. The difference in thermal expansion between Mg and Fe frees it very quickly because of the intense heat the welder puts into the bolt.

I don't use a washer, I Tig a bead right to the bolt head. Two or three on top of it, then a vice grip.

One has to question why it broke in the first place. If the head snapped off when trying to remove it with a wrench, do you think a slot and screwdriver will get it out?

Dave, not sure what you've got as a welder, but if it's a mig, get a fender washer that just fits over the head of that. Clean and slightly sand the broken bolt head and the galve off the fender washer. Place over it and weld bolt to washer. Then put a nut on and weld nut through its center hole to the fender washer.

The fender washer will protect everything around it.

Yes I have tried it and do it a lot as well on various projects that are much more heavy duty. I've just never had to on a saw. His post said sheared which is amazing cause the threads in the mag usually go long before a bolt shears. Very few I couldn't get out cutting a slot or drilling for an easy out. My welder is also not readily available. I mean it is but shops so small it gets put away after every use. It is there as a last resort if I need it. I could drill it and install a heli coil quicker then doing it with the welder.

I believe you mean 'sinker' EDM, not 'wire'. Either are out of reach for most. So, 1)weld something to the broken stud, or 2) drill it out carefully with sucessively lager drill bits until theres only the threads remaining, no easy outs needed. Use a drill press or milling machine for best results. JinNJ

Dropped it off at the local machine shop, he asked if I needed it back before tomorrow :)
Mom and Pop type shop, most of the shop looked clean enough to eat off of.
They do mostly performance automotive stuff from what I could tell.
Great folks and they thanked me for not half-ass buggering it up before bringing it in to get done right :)
Dave

cool glad to hear it dave i have one ill be working on soon but i think i can do it with a welder and a nut ive done some on lawn mower engine mufflers and some 4 wheeler exhaust bolts we will see

DD if you are not comfy with doing something it is smart to seek out someone with the abilities to fix your problem. Several years back we wanted to replace the drive gear on the combine unloading auger. We put a big puller on it and it wouldn't budge. Didn't want to heat it because of the gearbox. So we took it to Schmidt Machine in UpperSandusky. Two days later the gear was off and we were good to go.

Back