Ebay Saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asg13

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been searching around looking for a GOOD USED SAW..Leaning towards Stihl. Their are a few gusy that seem to refubish Stihls on Ebay and offer a 30 day warrenty!

Anyone ever buy from the bay?

Be aware that you could get burned by buying a used saw. Last winter I bought what appeared to be a good looking Stihl MS310 and when I got it fired up it ran ok until I put in wood and then it just died. Once I did a compression test and pulled the muffler, it was obvious that someone straight gassed it which caused scoring on the piston and cylinder. I had to rebuild the saw and for what I paid for a piston and the price of the saw, I could hve bought a brand new saw. Just my 2 cents.

It is rare to have a coil do that, but I have seen one or two. Don't you have a junk 029 laying around to swap coils? You will have to use the 034 lead, it is a tad longer.

It runs great other than that? Have you peeked in the carb? Checked the lever height and needle for leaking?

A while back I bought what was described as a poor running Husqvarna 371 as a "Buy it now" on Ebay. It sat there for some 3 wks before I bought it.

$5.97 fixed it. The air injector was broken and closing up at high speed. It came with a new piston and rings, air filter, spark plug, and was clean as it could be. I was lucky!

After using it some, I determined that it had a Poulan chain adjuster, The starter pulley and pauls were from a Husky 272 type saw, the fuel line is a piece of Tygon, and the cylinder is from a later Jonesred or Husky 372. But it was a nice runnuing chainsaw.

I changed the chain adjuster to a Husky 371 type and replaced the perfectly functional 272 starter pulley and pauls with 372 parts being as I am a little bit perfectionist. I also put new Husqvarna 371 decals on the covers.

It is now a period perfect 1998 Husqvarna 371 specimen. Few people would know or recognize that the cylinder was from a newer chainsaw as the only difference is the shape of the top fin on one corner.

I have a lot of saws that were crushed, straight gassed, or just worn out at one time.

When you are dealing with used chainsaws, there are often wrong screws or parts substitutions made on them.

The 250 is a plastic case -clamshell- home owner chainsaw. They run nice for 45.4 cc

The 038 Magnum is 72.2 cc and has a Magnesium case.

I have had good luck with ebay purchases but most of what I bought was for parts and not running. With the horror stories that I have heard I don't think I would buy one that is refurbished. One mans idea of refurbished means cleaned and shined while another mans idea is that it has been checked out and any repairs made.

eBay is a gamble, straight up. I've bought and sold, and have generally done fine.

All the saws I have sold have been accurately described and thoroughly photographed, but sold as-is without a return policy. I have always got at least what I aimed for, if not more, out of the sale. Don't necessarily discount the lack of a return policy, it's no guarantee of quality and the absence of one is no guarantee of BS either.

I have bought two saws off of ebay, one was exceptional and the other was a BOHICA. You never know. Having said that, If I dont get a really good price I dont buy. Craigs list is more reliable. At least you can start it up or handle it before laying out the cash.

(BOHICA= Bend Over, Here It Comes Again)

Check out the thread above about the 90psi saw advertized as no issues. If the thread hasn't been locked yet. Another Ebay success story...

Pretend any new saw on Ebay is a Chinese clone and any used one has a bad P&C and shot crank seals and you'll be in good shape.

I've only gotten one saw off of ebay, and my mindset was if it was cheap enough that I couldn't get too badly burned I'd go for it. Ended up working out well, little echo 3000 for $44, $74 shipped. It was rough looking and the fuel primer was cracked as noted in the ad, but a replacement was all of $6. Fired right up after a few pulls and after sharpening the chain I was suprised how well the little saw cuts. I had illusion about it being a good saw and was ready to get soaked for the $ I paid.

I would only bid on a saw that I was comfortable working on, spare parts are readily available, and the price was low enough that I could put in a new piston/ring, clutch bell or sprocket and crankshaft seals and not feel like I was ripped off. If after adding the price of those replacement parts the overall cost of the saw is 75% or higher than a new saw, I'd pass. There's a point at which a used saw just isn't a bargain. I'd say the possibility of getting a deal is greater on the 80cc and larger saws, where a new one is $1000 or more, and getting a used one for $300-400 plus possible replacement parts makes sense. Paying ~$250 for a used saw that can be had new for $500 doesn't make alot of sense where you can quickly need $150 worth of parts, and still have a used saw.

I've had good luck buying saws off eBay. I always contact the seller ahead of bidding to ask any questions I have. If I don't get an answer back from the seller, I don't bid.
I've yet to get burned but I've had issues that the seller was willing to make it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've only gotten one saw off of ebay, and my mindset was if it was cheap enough that I couldn't get too badly burned I'd go for it. Ended up working out well, little echo 3000 for $44, $74 shipped. It was rough looking and the fuel primer was cracked as noted in the ad, but a replacement was all of $6. Fired right up after a few pulls and after sharpening the chain I was suprised how well the little saw cuts. I had illusion about it being a good saw and was ready to get soaked for the $ I paid.

I would only bid on a saw that I was comfortable working on, spare parts are readily available, and the price was low enough that I could put in a new piston/ring, clutch bell or sprocket and crankshaft seals and not feel like I was ripped off. If after adding the price of those replacement parts the overall cost of the saw is 75% or higher than a new saw, I'd pass. There's a point at which a used saw just isn't a bargain. I'd say the possibility of getting a deal is greater on the 80cc and larger saws, where a new one is $1000 or more, and getting a used one for $300-400 plus possible replacement parts makes sense. Paying ~$250 for a used saw that can be had new for $500 doesn't make alot of sense where you can quickly need $150 worth of parts, and still have a used saw.

Hey Paul,
Im glad the little echo found a good home. I was thinking about fixing it up myself. Sorry about shipping it with fuel was in a bit of a rush. I was cursing up a storm when i seen what fedex wanted to ship it to alaska.Good ole USPS saved my butt though.See i enjoy selling saws on ebay because of people like you. Glad your enjoying it.

I can't help but see this thread though. Alot of the members are concerned about buying the saws off of ebay. I almost always try to fix something if there is a problem. Most of the saws are trade-ins. Heres what your not seeing . Sellers take as many hits as buyers. For example i sold a running 372xpw to a extremely well respected member on this site through ebay. I love the guys posts. He told me the saw wasn't a xpw top end that i had no way of knowing.He said the saw wasn't as described. I offered him a full refund and shipping both ways. He opened a dispute.It took two weeks to get the saw back. Made it so i couldn't get final value credit. Now on top of it i got the saw back. I open the box and the saw was neatly packed into pieces. Everything was wrapped separately carb, cylinder, bottom end, bolts and full wrap handle. Im thinking it was running. The worst part is im probably going to get negative feedback. Its stuff like this that makes you just not want to sell on ebay.

-Charlie

I have been searching around looking for a GOOD USED SAW..Leaning towards Stihl. Their are a few gusy that seem to refubish Stihls on Ebay and offer a 30 day warrenty!

Did you check the classifieds, the model or one close to it may be offered foe sale here!!

I've never had any problems on Ebay. Maybe I'm lucky. The one on Ebay who rebuilds Stihls........ Fixing seems to be good though their prices are a little high. Never bought from them.

Watch Craigslist in your area. Run it in some wood before you buy. Evilbay is a crapshoot, and, rigged at best.

It's really hard to trust anyone these days but the bay at least has a buyer protection plan that has allways worked well for me. Craigslist scares me and have had found many scams.

Hey Paul,
Im glad the little echo found a good home. I was thinking about fixing it up myself. Sorry about shipping it with fuel was in a bit of a rush. I was cursing up a storm when i seen what fedex wanted to ship it to alaska.Good ole USPS saved my butt though.See i enjoy selling saws on ebay because of people like you. Glad your enjoying it.

I can't help but see this thread though. Alot of the members are concerned about buying the saws off of ebay. I almost always try to fix something if there is a problem. Most of the saws are trade-ins. Heres what your not seeing . Sellers take as many hits as buyers. For example i sold a running 372xpw to a extremely well respected member on this site through ebay. I love the guys posts. He told me the saw wasn't a xpw top end that i had no way of knowing.He said the saw wasn't as described. I offered him a full refund and shipping both ways. He opened a dispute.It took two weeks to get the saw back. Made it so i couldn't get final value credit. Now on top of it i got the saw back. I open the box and the saw was neatly packed into pieces. Everything was wrapped separately carb, cylinder, bottom end, bolts and full wrap handle. Im thinking it was running. The worst part is im probably going to get negative feedback. Its stuff like this that makes you just not want to sell on ebay.

-Charlie

Charlie, yup I'm completely pleased with the saw. It fits perfectly in the storage rack on the back of my snowmobile which is the main reason I bought it, and the price was low enough that if it bounces out and I loose it, no tears. I was hoping you'd ship it parcel post because Fedex and UPS only ship 2nd day air to AK, didn't want you to loose your butt on the shipping charges. No problem with the fuel and oil in it, I was just a bit suprised.

I've bought and sold many items on ebay. Sometimes you win, sometimes you loose. On the long haul good business practices will also win out, but they do occasionally cause one to take it in the shorts on some deals. Such is life.

Back