Echo 590 vs Husky 560 Rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, I don't to tear into a brand new saw. I don't have the knowledge or experience for that. I could probably learn to tune my own carb, but I wouldn't trust myself with tearing into a motor.

Steer clear of the Holzfforma or any other Chinese knockoff and you'll be fine.

PS - If you know and/or trust the owner of the 460 Rancher, and it is indeed lightly used and in excellent condition, 350.00 would be a fairly good deal. They're somewhere around 500.00 new I believe.

You'll probably hear a lot of squawking about the clam shell case, yada, yada.
But that design has been around for quite some time and proven to be reliable, especially in a home owner environment.
Good luck with whatever you choose.

A little more money? I looked at those 555 and they are slightly over $700USD. That's double my budget, not just a "little" more.
You are talking to the wrong dealer. Purchased a 562 out the door with 20 inch bar for $580.

In the for sale section there is a really good deal on a new Maruyama MCV 51 for sale. It’s just a rebranded Dolmar 5105, Parts interchange. Very nice 50 cc saw. I had one, very nice saw, just didn’t fit me the way other saws did.
I kind of agree with that.

I have the 421 and it has a little different feel to it.
A super solid high quality saw. And there's a lot of people that love them. Some might say it'll outperform an Echo CS-490. But if one or the other had to go, I'd keep the 490 without a doubt.

I'm surprised nobody has said that what you REALLY need is 2 saws. At least to start with, then you may want to move up to a 3 or 4 saw plan. I use a ported Husky 350 and an Echo 590 for almost anything unless it is a real small job. For those I still like using an old Homelite Super 2.

I'm surprised nobody has said that what you REALLY need is 2 saws. At least to start with, then you may want to move up to a 3 or 4 saw plan. I use a ported Husky 350 and an Echo 590 for almost anything unless it is a real small job. For those I still like using an old Homelite Super 2.

I have 1 saw already, a 30cc MS 170 14” bar homeowner saw. Been using it for 7 years now.

I would go with the 590. It really can't be beat for the price.
For half the price you can get the Poulan Pro 5020. It is also a real decent saw for the price.

590 is where I’m leaning for sure. 60cc “pro-sumer” grade saw for $360. Cant beat that and makes a good addition to my 30cc homeowner Stihl.

590 is where I’m leaning for sure. 60cc “pro-sumer” grade saw for $360. Cant beat that and makes a good addition to my 30cc homeowner Stihl.
That's probably a smart move with 100 acres to play on.

It'll use a bit more gas. But will make a more fun toy with some guts to get through some bigger stuff pretty fast.

And the 590 has a stellar rep.

I'm fixing to sell off all my midsize saws myself (except the 490), and look for an old 65 to 80cc saw. Whatever I can find a deal on.

It'll use a bit more gas. But will make a more fun toy with some guts to get through some bigger stuff pretty fast.

I'm fixing to sell off all my midsize saws myself (except the 490), and look for an old 65 to 80cc saw. Whatever I can find a deal on.

Get the Echo and don't worry about the Warranty. Just remove the limiter caps, fine tune, and go cut wood. I've set up quite a few of them at this point and use one myself and can't kill it no matter how hard I try.

It only takes about 10-15 minutes to remove the carb, pull the limiter caps, modify them and back in service.

I inserted some pics below, just remove the limiters, grind off the stops and put them back in place. I doubt if any dealer would even notice they were removed anyhow if you had any issues that required Warranty work.

I also like to open up the deflector on the muffler as mentioned above but the muffler itself isn't too restrictive and really doesn't need any help..........Cliff

IMG_1679.JPG IMG_1681.JPG IMG_1683.JPG IMG_1684.JPG

OP, you already have a 30 cc saw. If you want a 2 saw plan, I would recommend putting a bit more space between your "small" and "large" saw - something in the 60-70cc range. If you plan to eventually expand into a 3 saw plan, get the 50cc saw.

I think a good 3 saw plan for a "the average Joe" is 30-50-70. I got that covered with my Echo CS-346 (33cc), Echo CS-490 (50cc), and Poulan 245 (74cc).
WARNING: Somewhere in the middle of filling out my 3 saw plan, I either lost count or contracted CAD and ended up with 7 saws. The same will happen to you if you're not careful.

I realize that it is a little late in this continuing dialog to ask how large most of these hardwood trees are that you are encountering down across your trails, paths, roads etc., but it is rather important to gaining the best advice on what saws to use for your woodcutting pursuits. When it comes to bucking firewood, especially if I am cutting 20" or larger logs, and even sometimes ripping them, I prefer a larger 60 cc saw. But when I am walking with a chainsaw, fuel can and extra bar oil, I want the lightest set up I can get, short of going to a top saw. My location has plenty of nuisance woods sprouting up like white pine, aspen, stringy elm, iron wood, mixed in with cherry, hickory, basswood, and allot of sugar maple. I really don't have that much of use for a large saw in maintaining trails and shooting lanes. Even an Echo CS-400 is more saw than I usually need, but when it needs to step up I have the capacity to deal with an isolated larger dead fall. I am not talking about processing for firewood. I am talking about clearing the means to ingress and egress. The average Echo CS-400 with the older aluminum handle weighs in about 10.4 pounds on my scale (completely empty). The newer models are 10.3 pounds with the plastic handle. Because my advice is based upon value, I maintain that the CS-490 and the CS-590 are the two best value oriented saws produced by any manufacturer. When you consider that you can usually pick up a brand new Echo CS-490 delivered to your door via Ebay for less than $280, it is a better choice than the CS-400. It weighs in at around 10.66 pounds on my scale, and the first thing I do is swap out the 20" bar for an 18" NK bar like a Woodland Pro. The 18" bar is a better choice in terms of balance. Muffler modding is automatic in my book. While many prefer the standard .325 pitch chain in full chisel, I like the narrow kerf in semi-chisel. Where I am located, there seems to be sand in the soil and under the bark on everything. Sometimes I use a solid nose bar just to keep from burning out nose spindles. The narrow kerf is better in my opinion for slicing and dicing the smaller rounds (12" or under), yet has the ability to step up for a larger deadfall. The semi-chisel stays sharp twice as long and cuts fast enough for me. Sometimes I don't get through a full tank of fuel before a full chisel chain is dull as a butter knife, but yes they do cut faster when they are still sharp. One last thing on value, don't be afraid of purchasing a used saw in good condition. It is amazing how many people purchase a saw, use it twice and then it just sits. Provided the fuel lines haven't been eaten up by ethanol, a used saw offers the best value, as they last longer than most people can give them cutting time. As far as appearance, after a short time of heavy use your saw will probably look like a runner up in boat anchor contest anyway.

OP, you already have a 30 cc saw. If you want a 2 saw plan, I would recommend putting a bit more space between your "small" and "large" saw - something in the 60-70cc range. If you plan to eventually expand into a 3 saw plan, get the 50cc saw.

I think a good 3 saw plan for a "the average Joe" is 30-50-70. I got that covered with my Echo CS-346 (33cc), Echo CS-490 (50cc), and Poulan 245 (74cc).
WARNING: Somewhere in the middle of filling out my 3 saw plan, I either lost count or contracted CAD and ended up with 7 saws. The same will happen to you if you're not careful.

I honestly don’t think I’d have a need for a 3-saw plan. 2 should be plenty. Right now, the top contender seems to be the Echo 590 with the Husky 460 Rancher being second choice. Which kind of surprises me considering all the good things I’ve heard about the Husky brand and their Rancher saws over the years.

Either would likely be OK for what you want. It may come down to which one feels better in your hands if you think they have simular smoothness, power, parts availability & cost, and service life.

Fwiw, I looked at both recently and went with a used pro model husky. GL

For a little more than $100 cheaper and what people are saying is better construction, the Echo is definitely the top contender.

Even the used Husky 460 Ranchers are prices at $350 and up. That’s right at the new price for the Echo. I think I’m gonna pull the trigger on one.

They sells saws with the echo construction on ebay for 99 bucks. It's not a factor for many. Good Luck and happy cutting.

Back