Echo 702vl won't stay running

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hokiehunter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been working on my uncle's 702vl and have it running but it won't stay running for more than a couple minutes.

It sat for years. Im not familiar with this era saw at all but went through and cleaned it up.

Piston looks great from exhaust side, I replaced fuel line, rebuilt carb and adjusted high and low per the manual. Running it on 40-1 Lucas mix. It fires right up and runs like a scalded dog for 2 maybe 3 minutes then dies. No amount of pulling on it will even get it to hit. Wait about 15 minutes and itll do it all over again.

Thoughts

I have had the same problem on many saws on first start up. I. Would pull the carb apart again and make sure no trash snack thrust the filter and got stuck in the inlet screen.

I'll pull the carb again and clean it out. I didnt even look at the points when I had it apart. I thought if they weren't set right then it wouldn't do anything at all. I'll set them and sand them and go from there. Thanks

Check the tank vent. If the tank isnt venting, the gas cant flow to the carb. You said you replaced the fuel lines, right? Was there a separate pulse line to the carb?

Chances are the old vent valve may be plugged up. I believe the vent is in the cap on this one, but look around for a hose or a duckbill just to be certain. Same with the oiler tank vent. Pry the cap apart with s a small blade. Here is a link to Echo's parts diagrams and owners manuals page. You can look through the pdf pics there. Make sure you enter the model exactly as cs-702vl, or the system will say it never heard of it.
http://www.echo-usa.com/Support-Help/Technical-Documents?s=cs-702vl&c=en-us

Could also be the condenser or the points. Im sure its many years since theyve been looked at. Flywheel has to come off to get at the points. There will be a keyway for alignment of the crank to the flywheel so dont lose it.

Because of its age, you might want to hang the unit by a rope and two small vice grips attached to the fins of the flywheel. Loosen the crank nut but dont remove it. Allow the weight to hang, and hit it with one sharp wrap of a brass hammer on the flange nut. Leave the nut on to protect the threads.

Dont let it fall when it separates.

Get a new set of points and condenser off Ebay because they are NLA anywhere else. I would wait to take it apart until I had the parts to fix it. I might have a coil here but would need to see a pic to be certain. Post a pic when you get that far.

Will do Bob, thanks. I can crack the gas cap and it dies so ill check the points. It'll be a few days but ill get those checked. Thanks for the info guys.

Back