Echo carbs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saw Dr.

Junk Collector
Reaction score
OK, I am at my wits end with Echo. We are a Stihl dealer, and can get most common Stihl carburetors for around $30. Stihl owns Zama, so one would think that other VERY popular Zama carbs might be able to be found at a reasonable cost. Not the case. What are you other guys doing to get those infernal round barrel carbs at a decent price. I have found that often times, the ultrasonic makes them run WORSE than before. I suspect the plastic emulsion tube does not like the US.

So where can I get carbs for these at a decent price. $75+ is not fair to anyone. I am specifically interested in the ones for SRM 210-260, Mantis tiller, and Pole saws. Stens lists the Mantis tiller ones, but they're $$$.

Wish I could help you out on price but I must say that fuel stabilizer is a must with these. I've used stabilizer in my SRM-210 the whole time I've owned it, ~3 years, and it still runs like new.

Anyone? ........ Beuhler?

I know, stabilizer. I'm needing carbs to use on machines for customers who have gone LONG past the sta-bil window.

$30 for a Sthil carb? Ok I guess a BR550 aint that common then as I ordered one this week and it was $50.

Bad thing is this thing is a year old but ain't got 5 tanks of fuel run threw it. Run great one day and wouldn't start the next. Took it apart and cant find a thing wrong with it, got it to run but wont adjust.

Chi Com POS....

$30 for a Sthil carb? Ok I guess a BR550 aint that common then as I ordered one this week and it was $50.

Bad thing is this thing is a year old but ain't got 5 tanks of fuel run threw it. Run great one day and wouldn't start the next. Took it apart and cant find a thing wrong with it, got it to run but wont adjust.

Chi Com POS....

There has been a round of bad coils on those 4282 machines Mark. I replaced the coil on one TWICE on the first tank of gas. Stihl knows about it and has said they want to see some of our bad ones to dissect them. $50 retail is not far off on that carb. Also check the valves, and make sure you are on compression stroke when you set them. Be sure the valve cover is tight. Leaks in the valve cover gasket are air leaks, and will cause the same old fun. I have had a ton of bad carbs on the 4 stroke trimmers (mostly Welch plugs out), but very few on the blowers.

There has been a round of bad coils on those 4282 machines Mark. I replaced the coil on one TWICE on the first tank of gas. Stihl knows about it and has said they want to see some of our bad ones to dissect them. $50 retail is not far off on that carb. Also check the valves, and make sure you are on compression stroke when you set them. Be sure the valve cover is tight. Leaks in the valve cover gasket are air leaks, and will cause the same old fun. I have had a ton of bad carbs on the 4 stroke trimmers (mostly Welch plugs out), but very few on the blowers.

Thanks for the tips. I got this thing cheap or I wouldn't have got it but I'm already regretting it.

I'll see in a day or two when the carb gets here. Need a service manual for it, hint, hint...

I don't replace as many Echo carbs as I do Stihl but I've noticed their prices sneaking up also.
Husqvarna is a bit high too. I think a 455 Rancher carb is in the neighborhood of $60.
I'm not a big fan of the slide carbs that Echo uses in alot of their stuff. Can't adjust 'em.

Thanks for the tips. I got this thing cheap or I wouldn't have got it but I'm already regretting it.

I'll see in a day or two when the carb gets here. Need a service manual for it, hint, hint...

Hey Mark, let me get to a real computer. I'm working from the phone until later this evening. Also, could you pm me the serial #?

the echo carbs are tuneable. here's 3 different 'echo' carbs:
2pzbucz.jpg

2q0m1l1.jpg

6pm5b4.jpg

weather it's a plastic cap or plug, the adjustment is there.

don't forget the one down the center of 'barrel'. there is a plug that can be pulled with a screw, or carefully drilled. it adjusts the needle just like on a slide carb.

don't forget the one down the center of 'barrel'. there is a plug that can be pulled with a screw, or carefully drilled. it adjusts the needle just like on a slide carb.

if the carb is still set too lean, all your doing is giving the engine a lean mixture sooner. it may clean up a lean bog off idle, but it isn't richening the 'high' speed what so ever. i've found the throttle needle to be set pretty well dead on from whom ever sets them. it's the mixture needle that needs to be adjusted.

Aside from all that had been mentioned already, metering lever can also be used to tune in those carbs. I'm quite well aware of how to tune them, but about half of the time it is better off to replace.

I've tried adjusting some of the slide carbs but not much luck. I don't have as much experience with them.
Do you have a anything for Walbro WY series carbs and how to properly tune them?

wy oh wy

some wy info starting page 22 in this pdf-http://www.walbro.com/media/21936/SERVICEMANUAL.pdf

Thanks for the pdf. I read thru it, especially the section on WY's. I'll play with some carbs this week if I get a chance.

Latest posts

Back