Echo Chainsaw CS-306 Starts and idles fine, but engine doesn’t rev up when I pull the trigger?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LondonMcKnight

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Echo CS-306 chainsaw, that just quit responding while I was using it. It starts and idles fine, but when I pull the trigger nothing happens. I do NOT have a chain break installed on either of my chainsaws. What I've done so far:
1.) I brought it into the shop, took the chain and bar off and used the air compressor to clean it of all gunk and debris.
2.) Cleaned air filter..
3.) Took apart the handle, again used air compressor to clean the area.
4.) Checked to see if the wire was moving when I pulled the trigger, and it is.
5.) Took apart the handle on my other Echo, (a CS-305), to compare the amount that the wire moves when the trigger is pulled, they're the same...
6.) Considered switching the throttle triggers, though thought it would be better for me to ask before I messed something up and ended up with no working chainsaws...
7.) Hoping someone has the answer and is willing to take the time to share it with me.

Thankful for any help.... ~London

Thanks Vint & Atp for responding. I can upload a video, though it will just be of the chainsaw idling. I have not checked the spark arrestor screen, though I will today. Though, I feel like I need to stress, that the engine gives absolutely no response when the throttle trigger is pulled. I had inspected and freshened her up about 3 weeks prior to her stopping. Meaning, fresh fuel, new bar and chain, clean air filter, and she was running like a champ, no bogging down, stalling out or anything like that, which is why my first thought was that the wire in the throttle trigger had broke.

You can remove the cover to the carb box and then the air filter. That should let you see if the throttle rod is connected to the throttle on the carb and if the butterfly moves when you pull the trigger. YouTube has several vids that will help if you're not comfy poking around like that. Try an "echo cs 306 carb replacement" in YT which will bring up a number of videos on how to remove and reinstall the carb if the throttle has become disconnected.

I have a Echo CS-306 chainsaw, that just quit responding while I was using it. It starts and idles fine, but when I pull the trigger nothing happens. I do NOT have a chain break installed on either of my chainsaws. What I've done so far:
1.) I brought it into the shop, took the chain and bar off and used the air compressor to clean it of all gunk and debris.
2.) Cleaned air filter..
3.) Took apart the handle, again used air compressor to clean the area.
4.) Checked to see if the wire was moving when I pulled the trigger, and it is.
5.) Took apart the handle on my other Echo, (a CS-305), to compare the amount that the wire moves when the trigger is pulled, they're the same...
6.) Considered switching the throttle triggers, though thought it would be better for me to ask before I messed something up and ended up with no working chainsaws...
7.) Hoping someone has the answer and is willing to take the time to share it with me.

Thankful for any help.... ~London
As stated it sounds like a plugged spark arrestor screen
They can fill with carbon over time
I toss them or you could burn it off with a torch.
Take the top cover off and start the saw
Move the throttle lever itself on the carb
To rev it up
You can easily see if it's that's the issue
Post pics if it's still not working.

Thanks Vint & Atp for responding. I can upload a video, though it will just be of the chainsaw idling. I have not checked the spark arrestor screen, though I will today. Though, I feel like I need to stress, that the engine gives absolutely no response when the throttle trigger is pulled. I had inspected and freshened her up about 3 weeks prior to her stopping. Meaning, fresh fuel, new bar and chain, clean air filter, and she was running like a champ, no bogging down, stalling out or anything like that, which is why my first thought was that the wire in the throttle trigger had broke.
If the spark screen is clean and the carb lever connected and moving you may have a carb with a main nozzle check valve that is stuck closed. Saw will idle all day but can't transfer to the main nozzle. Usually this starts out as an intermittent problem. I have seen this mostly with Zama's. Unfortunately it is a non-repairable carb defect.

If the spark screen is clean and the carb lever connected and moving you may have a carb with a main nozzle check valve that is stuck closed. Saw will idle all day but can't transfer to the main nozzle. Usually this starts out as an intermittent problem. I have seen this mostly with Zama's. Unfortunately it is a non-repairable carb defect.
You can put new ones in, just tap them out. They may just have stale fuel keeping them stuck closed. A shot of carb cleaner has saved me a few times.

The chainsaw was before and after I cleaned it with compressed air.
I took a look at the arrestor screen, (see pictures), I cleaned of the debris, (see picture) and put it back together with the one good screen, and then I took a video of the saw running, which I have tried to uploaded, I'm not sure if it did? The site wouldn't accept it as a MP4, so I tried a ZIP file...

Attachments

• 20231030_060527.jpg
    20231030_060527.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 20231030_060540.jpg
    20231030_060540.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231030_061238.jpg
    20231030_061238.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • Chainsaw Zip Clip.zip
    9.1 MB · Views: 0
I'm about to break down and purchase an Echo X-series CS-2511P (rear handle)... Which I'd love to have, however I'd hate to spend the $500...

Okay with the air filter off I pulled the trigger and the only I saw was this small piece of wire? or maybe it's a pin, (see attached picture), would move upwards and disappear, I let go of the trigger and the little thing came back down, but it didn't move anything else...

Attachments

• 20231102_173341.jpg
    20231102_173341.jpg
    545.6 KB · Views: 1
Okay with the air filter off I pulled the trigger and the only I saw was this small piece of wire? or maybe it's a pin, (see attached picture), would move upwards and disappear, I let go of the trigger and the little thing came back down, but it didn't move anything else...
this linkage should move when you pull the trigger (yellow arrow). the cable is at a weird angle. either broken or hung up on something.
808923-386597ed74bc8fd6d2fee03c9446da11.jpg

It looks like someone jury rigged the throttle cable and it came loose. Are new ones NLA from Echo? That thingy (technical term) with the brass shaft should be turning when you pull the trigger. you can also try pushing on it with a screwdriver while it is idling and see if iti revs up.

those are very nice. look at the new 361p rear handle also.
Why? What is the difference? I know with the X-series there are a lot of new ease of use updates, and I am interest in the CS-2511P because it is the lightest weight gas chainsaw in the world....=)

Latest posts

Back