Echo CS-300 chain oiler problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikev E

Reaction score
Hi, I have an Echo CS-300 chainsaw serial number: 03035805
The chain keeps getting loose and get's very hot . I don't think it is getting enough oil to the chain so, I took the oiler out and blew out the line going to the tank.I noticed that there is no vent to the oil tank, if I screw the cap on tight I can't blow through the line. Is there supposed to be a vent for the oil tank? If not won't this create a vacume and prevent the oil from flowing properly? Also, how can I tell if the oiler is pumping like it should?
Thanks very much, Mike

Heres what I would do first. Fill up the oil and replace the cap. Remove the bar, chain and cover. Start the saw and rev the engine a few times. you should see a small stream of oil start coming out the oil hole. Your saw should have an oil volume adjustment on the bottom, turning the screw should make a noticeable difference. if you are getting plenty of oil out the bar hole then the problem is with the bar or chain.

The saw needs some kind of a vent or the oil will become vacuum locked. I bought a Craftsman recently that was not oiling. Turns out the vent pipe was clogged with oily sawdust. have you checked the screen on the end of the oil line inside the tank? I'll look at my CS-3000 and see what kind of a vent it has.

Last edited:
Lets have a pic of your spur drive, to see if your chain problem is related to a worn drive.

I'm thinking his saw has a worm gear drive like my 3000. It's certainly the right age for a worn out oil pump.

Echo CS-300 oiler problem

Yes FergusonTO35, I blew out the oil line from the pump to the tank with compressed air so the filter is clear but, if I tighten the tank cap I can't blow or suck air through the line with my mouth so, there must not be a vent or it is clogged? I didn't know if there was a vent or not.
I did find the oil adjustment screw and opened it up all the way, it would spit some oil out after I did this but that was before I took the pump off and blew the line out..
It does have a worm/screw drive. This saw has only been used occasionally for mostly trimming, it still starts and runs great.
The spur drive seems to have a little wear but not too bad, I'll try to get a pic.

Latest posts

Back