ECHO CS-520 Advice.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, me messing around again. Here's a new vid. She is tuned really nice right now. Again, this is with a 24" bar and 3/8th skip chain. The last time you saw it, it was a somewhat dullish square grind and a bit rich. I went ahead and reground the chain to round this morning by hand and took her out since i needed some wood from one of our Fir stands. I couldn't find my chaps until I left - they were hiding under the dog blanket I have in back of the truck. :( It obviously didn't stop be bucking, though. Here's the vid:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vtIw9GuT8DE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OK, me messing around again. Here's a new vid. She is tuned really nice right now. Again, this is with a 24" bar and 3/8th skip chain. The last time you saw it, it was a somewhat dullish square grind and a bit rich. I went ahead and reground the chain to round this morning by hand and took her out since i needed some wood from one of our Fir stands. I couldn't find my chaps until I left - they were hiding under the dog blanket I have in back of the truck. :( It obviously didn't stop be bucking, though. Here's the vid:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vtIw9GuT8DE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Get it in some real wood, like an Old live oak. I dont think it will like that 24" bar in some harder wood. Sounds sorta lean to me as well.

Did run good though....

Get it in some real wood, like an Old live oak. I dont think it will like that 24" bar in some harder wood. Sounds sorta lean to me as well.

Did run good though....

It did run well. It's 1/16th out from last night, which saw it 4-Stroking on occasion in wood. So I think she's tuned pretty good right now. This saw will not be running a 24" bar in use. It's only doing it in these vids to show it has the torque to easily pull one while buried in Fir while I wait for my 18" bar to arrive. In fact, it pulls it better than a buds 346xp, and 026 do it in the Fir here with 325 chain, and 16" bars. So, I am impressed with this little thing.

It did run well. It's 1/16th out from last night, which saw it 4-Stroking on occasion in wood. So I think she's tuned pretty good right now. This saw will not be running a 24" bar in use. It's only doing it in these vids to show it has the torque to easily pull one while buried in Fir while I wait for my 18" bar to arrive. In fact, it pulls it better than a buds 346xp, and 026 do it in the Fir here with 325 chain, and 16" bars. So, I am impressed with this little thing.
Its also got some cc's on the 346 and 026. Still an impressive saw imo.

Have any of you guys used this clutch tool on a 520?

Bailey's - Clutch Removal Tool for Echo 300 series

That's the 31116, which is for the newer 3-spring clutch. I believe that the 520 uses the older style, in which case you need the 16133:

Bailey's - Clutch Tool for Echo 3000 series saws

Bailey's seems to agree, since they list this other one as compatible with the 520. :msp_thumbsup:

I don't have a 520 so I can't confirm, but I think Bailey's has it right.

Doug Fir

I was able to get the clutch off my CS-4400 (same clutch) without the tool when I didn't have clutch tool or wanted to wait for it to arrive. Granted its no where near as nice as having the tool from Baileys. I think it was about a 12mm open end wrench fit over one of the 3 shoes real snug then I was able to put a larger crescent wrench on that one perpendicular to it so I could spin the clutch assembly loose. It throws the shoes out of concentric so the first start up wasn't easy but once the saw started the spinning forces balanced the shoes again.

+1

Did my 520 without a clutch tool. Fed a piece of nylon starter rope down the spark plug hole to lock-up the engine and it came right off.

A better fitting tool would have been a plus.

I sold the 520 and kept my 510, as it was a stronger runner, for whatever reason I don't know?

In any case, these are 50cc class saws, and have great power and chain speed. There are a "home-run" for Echo in their line-up.

I've tried 3/8" LP on them, and .325 up to 20". They are best suited to 18" .325 in hardwoods, IMHO.....Cliff

Latest posts

Back