Echo CS330t--rebuild or not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carb settings were horrible stock. If caps are still on it take em out tune it fatter and se what you got. Don't know how old they are and what fuel been running, non oxy fuel works great, if you been using ethanol fuEl may try a simple carb kit should be 7 to 10 bucks

Definitely air leaks. I rebuilt the carb on one of them and it made no difference. Caps came off as soon as I got the carb out. Haven't worked on the other two yet, but I'm sure they are the same.

Only thing I can think of for anything to resemble air leak is ethanol fuEl was used and carb diaphragms are getting brittle, or intake boot to block got warped do to too hot from stock out the door tuning.

there have been some leaks in the intake boot reported, due to a problem with the throttle linkage. it rubs against the boot and damages it. this is a rare problem but i have heard about it. if i recall correctly, it mainly happens when the carb is installed incorrectly. i've never seen it myself.

Same as on any other saw. Erratic idle, racing, etc. Need to do a pressure/vac test, but haven't gotten around to making block off plates.

Same as on any other saw. Erratic idle, racing, etc. Need to do a pressure/vac test, but haven't gotten around to making block off plates.

how many hours do theses saws have on them? i've never seen seals go bad in them. i've been using them for 15 years. have you been leaving ehanol contaminated fuel in them during storage? have you had the carbs off?

You didn't plug the nipple on the bottom of the carb did you? Sometimes a fuel tank vent can cause those symptoms if it is creating a vacuum in the tank

The tank vent is in the flywheel cover. It is a filter with a check valve and filter can get plugged with oil dust and cause a fuel delivery issue.

The two 330's are of unknown history. I picked them up from a scrapyard for $5 or so each. The 360 is my uncle's saw, and he takes good care of his equipment. I have no idea what fuel he runs.

Didn't even think about the tank vent. I might drag them out of the shop today for another look. Need to measure for block off plates anyway.

Loosen ur fuel cap with maybe half tank of fuel in it and try it. If it seem better than retune it with cap loose and if it is stable then a few dollar part can fix it.

how many hours do theses saws have on them? i've never seen seals go bad in them. i've been using them for 15 years. have you been leaving ehanol contaminated fuel in them during storage? have you had the carbs off?
I always look forward to your echo post being your a long time owner operator of echo top handle saws. IL never get rid of my 360t

The two 330's are of unknown history. I picked them up from a scrapyard for $5 or so each. The 360 is my uncle's saw, and he takes good care of his equipment. I have no idea what fuel he runs.

Didn't even think about the tank vent. I might drag them out of the shop today for another look. Need to measure for block off plates anyway.

great price! you might want to inspect the intake boot before you start making up plates. also, the carbs could be mucked up with ethanol residue (my guess). or a metering lever might be out of adjustment. it would be great if you could find a known good carb (maybe $15 on ebay). I've gotten to the point where i usually replace the carb rather than rebuilding. the cost is about the same and you don't know who's wrenched on or otherwise abused the old ones. there are a lot of variables here. keep looking. you'll nail it down. good luck with these saws, keep us posted on how it goes.

I always look forward to your echo post being your a long time owner operator of echo top handle saws. IL never get rid of my 360t

thanks for the kudos. me and echo top handles go back a ways. i think i got my first 3400 17 years ago. my guess on the two scrap yard saws is that they belonged to a tree crew and got left on the shelf (or floor) for a long time during winter months and after that wouldn't run. visit your local saw dealer on the first warm day of spring. you can get in line behind all the hombres who can't get gasoline powered tools running right.

Oddly enough, the only real dealer we have left around here is for Echo. The Stihl places are JD dealerships, and the Husky place is a Kubota dealer. The Echo shop is the only place that actually carries much of anything.

I picked them up at different times, and both were so filthy that I doubt anyone did anything other than run them. I'm going out to the shop in a bit, so I'll take a look at one of them anyway. Not sure I can get over the pile to get to the other one. Have a ton of other saw projects/project saws in the way. Have a few other echo's, projects and a runner or two, that need new homes.

Oddly enough, the only real dealer we have left around here is for Echo. The Stihl places are JD dealerships, and the Husky place is a Kubota dealer. The Echo shop is the only place that actually carries much of anything.

I picked them up at different times, and both were so filthy that I doubt anyone did anything other than run them. I'm going out to the shop in a bit, so I'll take a look at one of them anyway. Not sure I can get over the pile to get to the other one. Have a ton of other saw projects/project saws in the way. Have a few other echo's, projects and a runner or two, that need new homes.

yeah, they sound like crew saws, abused everyday, rain or shine. no one cares about the boss's saws. my climbing saws aren't exactly sano either, but very sharp and well tuned. nothing has followed me home lately so i don't have any ongoing projects. maybe i'll go to town and ask the stihl dealer for a dead 029 out of his pile, just to help me make it until spring. they're really easy to sell after your done. there must be something in the water here that makes guys stupid.

It's strange..... I just went and pulled the orange 330 out. Put some mix in the tank and got it fired up. It idled at about 5000+ rpm. :dizzy: I took the recoil off..this has been taken off by one or more monkeys in it's past from looking at the screw heads. Pulled the tank vent, disassembled it and found everything to be good. Reassembled and reinstalled. Next I cleaned around the carb and blew all the crud off with some carb cleaner before pulling it. This one still had the limiters in it and appeared to have a fresh carb kit in it. I don't remember putting one in it, but I might have. Idle screw appeared to be turned much farther in than I would have expected, but I don't have much experience with these either. I backed it off and pulled the limiter caps. Low mix screw was out about 2.5 turns, which seemed about right. So I put everything back together and tried again.

Idle was still 5k+. Pulled the low speed screw and shot some carb cleaner through the hole. That seemed to help, but not much. Low speed screw is now probably close to 4 turns out and it idles correctly. Played with the high speed needle a bit and it seems to be running fine now. That low speed screw setting worries me a little. Seems like it's much farther out than it should be. Still needs a clutch cover and B/C.

It's strange..... I just went and pulled the orange 330 out. Put some mix in the tank and got it fired up. It idled at about 5000+ rpm. :dizzy: I took the recoil off..this has been taken off by one or more monkeys in it's past from looking at the screw heads. Pulled the tank vent, disassembled it and found everything to be good. Reassembled and reinstalled. Next I cleaned around the carb and blew all the crud off with some carb cleaner before pulling it. This one still had the limiters in it and appeared to have a fresh carb kit in it. I don't remember putting one in it, but I might have. Idle screw appeared to be turned much farther in than I would have expected, but I don't have much experience with these either. I backed it off and pulled the limiter caps. Low mix screw was out about 2.5 turns, which seemed about right. So I put everything back together and tried again.

Idle was still 5k+. Pulled the low speed screw and shot some carb cleaner through the hole. That seemed to help, but not much. Low speed screw is now probably close to 4 turns out and it idles correctly. Played with the high speed needle a bit and it seems to be running fine now. That low speed screw setting worries me a little. Seems like it's much farther out than it should be. Still needs a clutch cover and B/C.

right, that sounds like you may have some schmutz in the low speed circuit. you have to back out four turns when it shouldn't be much more that one. sometimes you can blow into the low speed jet in the venturi, with the needle all the way out and clear it. if its any comfort, a few politicians are starting to stand up to the mega-farmers in the mid-west and maybe 15 years from now we'll be able to buy real gasoline again.

Yeah....I'm leaning that way. There were some echo service tools for pressure/vac test on ebay a few days ago. I'm just going to make my own. Anyone got service manuals for these. Got them for lots of stihl and husky saws, almost none for echo.

Latest posts

Back