Echo CS590 question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Installing a piston on an Echo CS590 and noticed that, unlike most saws, this piston has a flat washer on both sides of the piston where the pin goes through. I was wondering if these are really necessary since most other brands leave them out. If the parts are made right I doubt if there's any side thrust on the piston.

Installing a piston on an Echo CS590 and noticed that, unlike most saws, this piston has a flat washer on both sides of the piston where the pin goes through. I was wondering if these are really necessary since most other brands leave them out. If the parts are made right I doubt if there's any side thrust on the piston.
Come on, admit it…you had extra parts left over from assembly and you’re trying to justify it. 🤣

I just did a piston replacement on an Echo 620 and had to deal with those washers. I put one snap ring in the piston ahead of assembly. I used grease to hold the washers in place. I also put a small dial rod through to keep things in place as I installed the piston pin. It has a slight press fit

Okay, I went ahead and installed the washers. I used a little bit of Stihl assembly grease to hold them in place and it only took 2 or 3 times to finally get the pin in. I think Echo copied Stihl's circlips which I never was fond of. I like the old ones Echo had with the two little ears on them that made installation easy. Now all I have to do is wait for a cylinder gasket to get here. As always, thanks for the replies.

Well, I guess I told less than the truth when I said I installed the washers. As it turns out, I only installed one of the washers. I guess while I wasn't looking one of them slipped out and when I went to start the saw the washer ended up between the piston and the cylinder! It didn't hurt the cylinder but it messed the piston up real good. I just ordered a new piston from Lil Red Barn...The saw is all apart...again!

Well, I guess I told less than the truth when I said I installed the washers. As it turns out, I only installed one of the washers. I guess while I wasn't looking one of them slipped out and when I went to start the saw the washer ended up between the piston and the cylinder! It didn't hurt the cylinder but it messed the piston up real good. I just ordered a new piston from Lil Red Barn...The saw is all apart...again!
Might have been better going with an OEM piston. I haven't heard a whole lot of good things about Lil Red Barn. Pistons.

Might have been better going with an OEM piston. I haven't heard a whole lot of good things about Lil Red Barn. Pistons.
An OEM piston is what just got destroyed. Thought I'd try something different. Still using the OEM cylinder. I have so much money in this saw that I bought the cheapest piston. Maybe this piston won't require those washers.

An OEM piston is what just got destroyed. Thought I'd try something different. Still using the OEM cylinder. I have so much money in this saw that I bought the cheapest piston. Maybe this piston won't require those washers.
You will need the thrust washers. Just pay particular attention to the piston pin retaining clips. They are not known to hold well on the Lil Red pistons.

You will need the thrust washers. Just pay particular attention to the piston pin retaining clips. They are not known to hold well on the Lil Red pistons.
I doubt this saw is gonna see much use, maybe as a back up. If it was mine I would have already parted it out. Right now I'm just trying to get it going as cheap as possible since I already have too much money in it.

Since one of the washers got destroyed in the first build I decided to not use them on the new piston. There's quite a bit of side play but there's side play in some of the other saws I've rebuilt. Anyway, I have it back together and maybe tomorrow I'll slip out and try to fire it up.

Back