Echo CS590 Timberwolf, CS600, CS600P, CS620, CS620pw differences

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may look at a 600SX just for the sake of difference... still enjoy the echo 60cc saws with their wide powerband. Ment to look up the price for a 620PW wrap at work but got busy so I’ll look next week but the pricing on the 620/600 is hard to beat for the value...

The 590 has a domed piston also. A stock 590 will be happy around 11.8 to 12.5k. There not high strung saws at all. You won't get close to the 13.5k limiter with a stock 590. The extra timing advance built into a 620 coil may help even a stock 590 but the fact its unlimited makes no difference.
The 620 coil is the same part number as the 590...just sayin'

Hey all. New to the site.

No, no it's not. I looked up the 590 and 620 coils yesterday and they have different part numbers. I also looked up p & c numbers and they are different as well. I found a YouTube video of an Echo dealer in Canada explaining the differences of a bunch of different saws, and said specifically that the main differences between the 590 and 620 were: port timing, ignition timing, and a 2 ring piston. He didn't mention anything about the carbs, but I've seen in earlier posts that the carbs are different. I'd post the video, but not sure how to.

Hey all. New to the site.

No, no it's not. I looked up the 590 and 620 coils yesterday and they have different part numbers. I also looked up p & c numbers and they are different as well. I found a YouTube video of an Echo dealer in Canada explaining the differences of a bunch of different saws, and said specifically that the main differences between the 590 and 620 were: port timing, ignition timing, and a 2 ring piston. He didn't mention anything about the carbs or coils, but I've seen in earlier posts that both are different. I'd post the video, but not sure how to.

I have put just the 620 coil on a 590 and just the 620 carb on for testing. I can say both are a improvement by them selves. But when used together with a muffler mod. it really makes a difference. Mine will pull a 32" bar now like it did the 24" before.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I'm left wondering how the 620 carb can help a 590 when the 590's OEM carb (without modification) seems so rich you couldn't lean too much if you wanted to, wouldn't this kinda imply the carb is more-than adequate?
I wish youtuber 'Tinman's Saws' compared a stock 590, to a muff-modded 590-- he does a comparison only between a stock 590, then the same 590 with muff-mod and the 620's carb&coil....really curious what % each of these is making towards the results he gets!

Has anyone actually posted "OEM timing-#'s for the stock 590, and stock 620, cylinders"? Had thought the 620 cylinder was same, just the piston having some minor differences, but upon rewatch of the echo-youtube channel their rep clearly says the 620 has better timing **and** porting..

Re "620p has better timing, because of the coil....so spend $100 on the coil so your 590 runs harder"..... Because coil-firing is a once-per-revolution thing, aren't we literally talking about 1 number (ie the degrees-of-timing before TDC that the plug is fired, how many degrees advanced before TDC it fires), I cannot stop thinking that one could obtain identical results by either swapping to a 620 coil OR simply filing the keyway in their 590's flywheel to match a 620's stock-timing. VERY eager to learn this one, thanks a lot for any insight!!!

Probably, bigger carb and porting

Gotta wonder how big a gain that 620 carb is giving (both on stock590's and ported590's), my understanding was this same carb(590's) is the one used on the 67cc CS-670 so it's hard thinking it can't provide adequate fuel/air charge for the engine..

I found a YouTube video of an Echo dealer in Canada explaining the differences of a bunch of different saws, and said specifically that the main differences between the 590 and 620 were: port timing, ignition timing, and a 2 ring piston.
Yup this is the video I was referring to, he distinctly says the 620, in-addition to some alloy parts instead of plastic*, that the 620's superiority is under the hood and due to 'more aggressive ignition timing and port timing' clearly making a distinction to mention both, would LOVE seeing a compilation of timing-#'s for stock 590, stock 620, and then a handful of the best 'recipes' (like bge, james miller etc etc guys who've really torn down&rebuilt the 590 with great success!)

(FWIW this is curiosity, I'm done with '2nd round porting' of mine and can't do anymore grinding, my q's here are not looking for free timing-#'s :p )

I'm left wondering how the 620 carb can help a 590 when the 590's OEM carb (without modification) seems so rich you couldn't lean too much if you wanted to, wouldn't this kinda imply the carb is more-than adequate?
I wish youtuber 'Tinman's Saws' compared a stock 590, to a muff-modded 590-- he does a comparison only between a stock 590, then the same 590 with muff-mod and the 620's carb&coil....really curious what % each of these is making towards the results he gets!

Has anyone actually posted "OEM timing-#'s for the stock 590, and stock 620, cylinders"? Had thought the 620 cylinder was same, just the piston having some minor differences, but upon rewatch of the echo-youtube channel their rep clearly says the 620 has better timing **and** porting..

Re "620p has better timing, because of the coil....so spend $100 on the coil so your 590 runs harder"..... Because coil-firing is a once-per-revolution thing, aren't we literally talking about 1 number (ie the degrees-of-timing before TDC that the plug is fired, how many degrees advanced before TDC it fires), I cannot stop thinking that one could obtain identical results by either swapping to a 620 coil OR simply filing the keyway in their 590's flywheel to match a 620's stock-timing. VERY eager to learn this one, thanks a lot for any insight!!!

Gotta wonder how big a gain that 620 carb is giving (both on stock590's and ported590's), my understanding was this same carb(590's) is the one used on the 67cc CS-670 so it's hard thinking it can't provide adequate fuel/air charge for the engine..
I recently brought a cs590 back from the grave with new piston and cs620 coil. I had a difficult time getting it to run. Once running though I checked the spark plug and it was bone dry… so they can be made too lean… but again this was a saw that was brought back from the junk pile. Just anecdotal evidence

resurrecting this old thread because these models are still relevant and info is still hard to find. My 620pw got wrecked by a storm-damaged oak and crushed my side case, broke my tank, smashed the full wrap and shatered the case. sooooo Ill be picking up a 590 here in a month or so hopefully and doing a full swap of 620 parts into the 590 chassis. I'll let you know how it goes. If anyone wants anything specific regarding this swap chime in and I'll try and document.
How did it turn out

carb is different on all 3 and the 620 has the largest venturi of the 3 IIRC. All parts should interchange from looking at them and comparing IPL's.

The 590/600 share the P&C with the 620 having a different P&C. I have both pistons here and honestly cant figure out what is different between them. http://performanceoutdoorequipment.com/search?q=echo+piston&x=0&y=0 both pistons listed there and if you open each one up to look at the description i have all the measurements from both pistons posted too.
The part number lol I've heard the 590 has a single ring and the 620 a double can you verify?

I recently brought a cs590 back from the grave with new piston and cs620 coil. I had a difficult time getting it to run. Once running though I checked the spark plug and it was bone dry… so they can be made too lean… but again this was a saw that was brought back from the junk pile. Just anecdotal evidence
Mine new was super lean

The 590 has a domed piston also. A stock 590 will be happy around 11.8 to 12.5k. There not high strung saws at all. You won't get close to the 13.5k limiter with a stock 590. The extra timing advance built into a 620 coil may help even a stock 590 but the fact its unlimited makes no difference.
Thank you. Jeez so many people don't understand that.

Back