Echo cs590 vs dolmar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick121

Reaction score
Hey, New guy here on the forum. I'm 18 with some chainsaw experience, cutting firewood. My dad has a dolmar ps510 which works great and a solo 651 and a old Dolmar 109. We have just been using the ps510.

I am thinking of buying my own saw and looking at the echo 590. I would like some opinions on the echo 590 vs a comparable Dolmar. I will mostly be cutting up logs for a little firewood sales this year. I'm thinking 55-65 cc is plenty, The 510 Dolmar is pulling a 20 inch and it works fine but I understand that that saw is a bit small for a 20.

I am in ontario, just wondering If anyone here has any prices on dolmars? maybe the 6100?

Any opinions welcome

The Dolmar brand has been abolished and for about the past year they have been re-branded as Makitas. If you search hard enough you may be able to find a dealer with some old stock Dolmar saws, but from here on if you want a Dolmar you need to find a Makita dealer.

Iv had no problems with my 590. If the only local domar dealer didn't need to take a long walk off a short cliff I'd probly have dolmars. For the price its hard to beat the 590 for a firewood guy just heating his own home.IMG_20170405_173836.jpg

Iv had no problems with my 590. If the only local domar dealer didn't need to take a long walk off a short cliff I'd probly have dolmars. For the price its hard to beat the 590 for a firewood guy just heating his own home.View attachment 575571

This^ I have a soft spot for the 590 easy to mod, reliable as a hammer and had for cheap. I've never ran a 6100 but I want to they get a lot of love. @CoreyB can tell you what you need to know about them. Really you can't go wrong with either of them. It comes down to what you want dammit:cool:

If you shop around you can get a new CS590 for around $325 shipped to your door, best buy by far. Open up the muff and tune and it will cut real good. If you don't know how to tune yet learn how too, your young , it will save you a lot of money plus you wont be burning up saws that are too lean for any reason. Don't have the I cant do that attitude. Steve

If you shop around you can get a new CS590 for around $325 shipped to your door, best buy by far. Open up the muff and tune and it will cut real good. If you don't know how to tune yet learn how too, your young , it will save you a lot of money plus you wont be burning up saws that are too lean for any reason. Don't have the I cant do that attitude. Steve
Good advice, but he won't get a new CS590 in Canada for that price. I don't know if Echo has their 20% off sales up here or not, but even with the 20% discount he will be looking at $500cdn out the door.

the dolmar makita 6100 is a great saw, it has a bit more HP than a 620p considering both of um stock.

the thing is nobody makes a saw like the 590 for what the 590 saw sells for.

the 6100 is better but it retails for far more cash.

the 590 wins hands down for any bang for buck new saw contest.

i think being a thrifty shopper counts for a lot though -- on my 6100 i got a demo for very nice price -- for a bit less than a 590 goes for new--

either the echo or the dolmar/makita are very good saws --so just look for a deal on either one.

This^ I have a soft spot for the 590 easy to mod, reliable as a hammer and had for cheap. I've never ran a 6100 but I want to they get a lot of love. @CoreyB can tell you what you need to know about them. Really you can't go wrong with either of them. It comes down to what you want dammit:cool:
Wow talk about late to the party. I just seen I was tagged. Lol I agree with a lot of what has been said. The 590 is a solid firewood saw and would server a guy really well. The 6100 is hard to not recommend to a guy. If you have the extra money it is well worth it.

The Echo 590 is a solid deal, especially if you can find a dealer still offering the $499 special. However, I will add another vote for the Dolmar (yes, now it says Makita) 6100. That saw surprised me on how it just how versatile it can be, kind of like a Stihl ms361 but with nicer anti-vibe.

OP, welcome to the forum. Whereabouts in Ontario are you?

The Echo 590 is a solid deal, especially if you can find a dealer still offering the $499 special. However, I will add another vote for the Dolmar (yes, now it says Makita) 6100. That saw surprised me on how it just how versatile it can be, kind of like a Stihl ms361 but with nicer anti-vibe.

OP, welcome to the forum. Whereabouts in Ontario are you?

I've mentioned on another line about my 2.5 Y/O Stihl MS291 with it's scored piston... I'm looking for replacement either going back with another 291.. not sure why... and I've looked at the CS 590.. I like the responses so far... but wanted to add.. a dealer special for $499 for the 590??? I stopped at my local HD and they have them for $399.99.. go online and they have them for the same...If your local dealer has it for $499, you may want to save a C-note on the saw and use it for extra chains!

Here is your new saw mate.
fb32e8b7eb64bb86b099be665e5c4bdb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I sell Dolmar / Makita , I am not trying to sell saws on here as it's against the rules., but Makita is clearing out the Dolmar branded saws and the PS-6100 is listing for $599 Canadian.
The Makita version is $709 .
Both are with 20" bars

My advice is find a local Dolmar / Makita dealer and see if they will give you a deal on a 6100 .

The 6100 is a "Lifetime" saw for the winter firewood cutter. Very tuff

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I sell Dolmar / Makita , I am not trying to sell saws on here as it's against the rules., but Makita is clearing out the Dolmar branded saws and the PS-6100 is listing for $599 Canadian.
The Makita version is $709 .
Both are with 20" bars

My advice is find a local Dolmar / Makita dealer and see if they will give you a deal on a 6100 .
I saw your ad a while back for the 6100 and thought wow that's a great deal! Real tempting but I can't let CAD get the best of me :dumb:

Back