ECHO CS670 Messed up Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevenb

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My dad forgot to mix the oil and gas. Needless to say we ran the saw a while and it eventually would not start. The shop says there is light scoring in the piston chamber. It does still pull over so its not seized. It just seems that there is no compression.

My question is, is it possible to rebuild this saw? It was pretty expensive and its only about 2 years old.

I am going to pull it apart tonight and look at the damage myself.

Does anyone know where Echo pistons rings and parts can be bought?

Yes, it can be saved, probably a new piston, and rings will do the trick nicely. I just hate tossing a nice saw because its screwed up a little. though normally I score those at the dump, and I bring em home and fix em myself.

Thanks for the speedy reply. I hope I can get it working again. I have worked on lawnmowers before I hope the chain saw is as easy to repair.

Its pretty painful to lose a saw that cost $800 because of one slip up!

Any advice on rebuilding it would be great.

I'm not a big echo guy, but if your saw has a chromed cylinder clean it with fine steel wool, replace the piston and ring/rings and don't look back.
If I had little or no money in the saw I would steel wool the cylinder and if the ring/rings moved freely just use the old piston and put new rings in it run.
I guess it depends on how lightly scored it is.

WOW 800 bucks, My cousin has a new on the shelf CS670 for $525.00. Take your time in tearing it down. Echo's are easy to work on with the right tools...Bob

I looked on line and it said the replacement cost is $800. I think my dad said it was around $600.

I ordered a Husky 385 to replace this one for now. I hear they are better then the echo's.

Appreciate the info this is a great forum.

A 385 will flat out smoke the echo 670, its an 85cc saw compared to a 67.8cc, which is pretty obvious which one has more power. this is only till you port em, and see which one pulls more chips.

Let me ask you this then.

SHould I just get the 395 Husky or is the 385 enough for clearing a residential 3.5 acre lot? I am in the process of thinning out the trees. The nice trees are getting choked by the bigger overgrown ones.

The echo is good dont get me wrong and I am going to try fixing it. But a little more power is going to be nice. I just didnt know if the price difference between the 385 and 395 is justafiable.

Unless you're going to be using a bar over 32" long, I wouldnt buy a 395, the 385 should do just fine, especially after a muffler mod. ask Gypo, I think he has one somewhere.

I bought the 385 tonight. And I finally splurged for a hardhat and chaps. It was about time to get the proper safety stuff.

I still hope I can get the Echo working again.

Why not a 372xp. It's a toss up between the 385 and the 372. I like them both but the 372 is a nice saw.

Echo CS 670 had a MSRP of around $699 a few years back. About 2 years ago ECHO CS 670 MSRP went down to $469. I bought one NIB though a local dealer for $419 about a year ago. They are on ebay often, new in the $380 to $410 range. They are a very good deal in this range for a quality 67 cc saw. The Echos I have been around seem to last a long time with good maintenance.

Got the chainsaw back. The piston ring is fused to the piston head. And there is some decent scoring. Is it still worth trying to fix?

I have a cylinder hoaner(sp) but I have no idea how to oversize the ring.

You dont bore out the nikasil cylinder, if thats fubar, replace it with new. what you need is a new piston and ring. that should do the trick quite nicely.

A nikasil cylinder has a hard plating, much like a chrome plated cylinder, on its bore, rather than an iron liner. Nikasil is much more durable and long wearing, but cannot be bored out and an oversize piston fitted to repair in the case of damage. You can lightly hone nikasil cylinders to clean up minor scoring, but if the sratches are deep and it results in the plating being damaged, then the cylinder can only be fixed be replating (common in sleds and bikes, uncommon in saws) or by replacing the cylinder (most common for saws). If it has "fairly decent scoring", I would suspect the cylinder is shot. Your best bet is most likely to put a complete new cylinder with piston, rings, gaskets and wrist pin bearing into the saw. This way you can be sure it is fixed right, and not have to worry about it quitting in the middle of a job.

stevenb said:
Got the chainsaw back. The piston ring is fused to the piston head. And there is some decent scoring. Is it still worth trying to fix?

I have a cylinder hoaner(sp) but I have no idea how to oversize the ring.
You just have to price the parts and judge for yourself if its worth fixing. Echo uses a chrome plated cylinder on the CS-670 and all their 2 strokes. It sounds like your jug is toast if you got decent scoring.

Latest posts

Back