Echo/John Deere Kioritz collectors out there?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Den

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My first love was McCulloch's, then Stihl's... but I soon favored Echo and John Deere Kioritz saws.
Just curious... anyone else out there consider themselves enthusiast's of primarily Echo and John Deere saws?

I'm not a collector, but I did pick up a 330EVL about a month ago, cleaned it up, cleaned the carb, and it runs great. It is a small 33cc split case saw. I'm giving it to a friend of mine.

Oh Yea!!--Got a cs 302 and saw how well It is made plus good runner. Next cs 440 evl from a pawn shop-cranks on 1/2 pull most of the time stone cold. Few others that are future projects and then the cs 590!!!!!!!--David-Southwest Georgia---Albany---Yes I have Cad and not looking for a cure!!

I'm not a collector, but I did pick up a 330EVL about a month ago, cleaned it up, cleaned the carb, and it runs great. It is a small 33cc split case saw. I'm giving it to a friend of mine.

Yes Clifford, the 330 EVL is a well made saw. I have one of them. Oddly enough, I've owned approximately (75) Echo/John Deere saws over the decades. The 330 EVL that I have is the only one out of all of them that has had an electrical problem !!!

I was actually thinking of selling the 290 EVL and the 330 EVL.

I'm thinking the Japanese chainsaws just don't have any real dedicated followers.
Quite a few guys have commented in the past about how reliable the Echo saws are... but I'm guessing the Echo's are just not "sexy" enough.
Have not found any section of this website exclusively for Echo saw's... unless I'm not looking hard enough !!!

I'm not a collector of primarily Echo/Deere, but I seem to run onto them quite often. Good saws, solid, a little heavier than some others of same displacement, but very well engineered. I would certainly never turn my nose up at an Ehco/Deere. They aren't real sexy, but then, neither am I!

Howdy Hoosier Den, I bought a brand new John Deere 66SV back in 1990. It's in pristine condition but I have always had a love/hate relationship with that saw. Being twin cylinders it is the smoothest running chainsaw that I have ever owned but the weight is atrocious and it drinks gas like there is no tomorrow. I honestly think that you could crank it up and throw it off the top of the Empire State Building and it would still be running after it hit the sidewalk.

Howdy Hoosier Den, I bought a brand new John Deere 66SV back in 1990. It's in pristine condition but I have always had a love/hate relationship with that saw. Being twin cylinders it is the smoothest running chainsaw that I have ever owned but the weight is atrocious and it drinks gas like there is no tomorrow. I honestly think that you could crank it up and throw it off the top of the Empire State Building and it would still be running after it hit the sidewalk.

I have a Deere badged 66 also, not running at the moment. For a twin, it isn't much as far as displacement and it is HEAVY. Still, it's an interesting design. I also have a Deere badged 602vl and that thing is heavier than some of my old Macs and Homies!

I have a Deere badged 66 also, not running at the moment
Hey Bret, I'm assuming that you have run your 66SV some time in the past and you will have to admit the twin opposing cylinders makes it the smoothest running saw but is a bit heavy for a 61 cc saw and guzzles gas.
One thing on the plus side if you can get it up on the log the extra weight will greatly assist you in cutting.

I have seven Echo saws of various sizes. No John Deere/Echo saws people want too much for my budget.
I do have a craftsman 4.3a/VL/Echo. I got it for $15. from a scrap yard guy filed the points and it ran great, still does after 30+ years.
Always starts on the second or third pull. All of my Echo's are old pre chain brake saws. I like them, simple and easy to keep running. I do have a Mall 2MG, Mac 15 and Stihl MS311..
I really enjoy the site after being a millwright in Scotia,California.

5ddd82dcb519620fd80ea97ae307ff90.jpg

65sv and a 1001vl, I have a 4500 and 5500 in parts as well

I’ve got about a dozen, 3-4 300 series. The rest are 5, 6, 700 series. I found a ten plus year old thread that said you can swap a 601VL flywheel onto a 750EVL , and convert it back to points. I have a nice running 602VL, but I’m not going to sacrifice it. Sure would like to get my 750EVL running.

Nice to hear from others who like echo's.
Going to see a fellow who has over 50 saws of various brands. maybe find a dirty jewel or two.
Ran the craftsmen 4.3 today it seems to have gotten heavier over the last few years(HA).

Nice to hear from others who like echo's.
Going to see a fellow who has over 50 saws of various brands. maybe find a dirty jewel or two.
Ran the craftsmen 4.3 today it seems to have gotten heavier over the last few years(HA).
Just found this thread. It's not you, I got a 4.3 a couple months ago. They are, uh, a "stout" saw! I need to get the chain sharpened, and put it to work!

Latest posts

Back