Echo Pole Pruner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clawnz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all great site have enjoyed reading some of the comments on here!
Now it may be me,! but I have had all sorts of trouble with my Echo Power Pole Pruner. I use it spinning a circular blade, for trimming hedges and it is great for light pruning where you can reach into a shrub canopy and remove individual growth. And it cuts very clean, not like the tearing if using the chainsaw head.
I firmly belive this is a toy and should only be for use in the domestic market.
Don't get me wrong! I would not be without mine.
But the Plastic Housing that holds the Bevel Gears is it's main weakness.
I can quote to you that I have found cardboard used as a packer in the drive head, anyway if you spin one of these units! you will know by the noise from it, the mesh of the gears is poor and when it gets hot or the blade gets jammed the gear is likley to slip, thus causing damage somewhere? The bevel gears take the brunt of it, but it also loads up the shaft.
I have the dimensions for a shaft to replace the shaft of the chainsaw head, so that the aliminium case can be used to mount up a round blade.
The only thing wrong with this is that the blade goes the otherway, I have got used to this and do not find it an issue. But a pain in the arse to start with if you are used to it going the other way.
Another problem area is the motor end of the inner driveshaft, it is not that strong then you drill two holes in it to hold the inner driveshaft into the drive from the motor, which in turn weakens it a bit.
Trick: Find a mild steel pin to firmly go into the round hole up the center of the inner driveshaft, insert it and then when you drill the two holes for the holding pins you will be drilling through the mild steel pin as well.
Next we have the top outer driveshaft. This just sits on top of 4x plastic bushes that hold the inner driveshaft in the base of the extension tube. I have seen the drivshaft worn down and trying to get inside the plastic bushes which then fail.
Trick: get a washer to fit snugly over the top of the inner driveshaft then fit the outter driveshaft.
Next: make sure the shafts are well lubricated. I have just removed a damaged driveshaft from my own machine and it was dry, it had not been lubricated the last 5 times it had been into the shop. So I am glad I finally bit the bullet, and took on myself to do the repairs instead of sending it in all the time.
I would like to add:
With the circular saw blade I can work across the top of some big hedges, as it weighs sod all compared to the three kilos of reciprocating hedge attachment.
Forget the add-on extentsion, I have one here in Auckland for anybody who would like to try or buy. We did use it once and will not be using it again. You can only just control this on full extentsion straight up and down. Wobble Pole more like it.
And after bashing Echo, I am happy to admit they have made some good improvments since they took it over. I think it was the american Power pruner. With a dog of a motor!
Someone needs to design a clutch into the drivehead, you know like on every hand drill, it would not weigh much and would save the driveshaft.
Sorry about going on and on.
Clive

Echo power pruner

Clawnz

I have just bought a used Echo power pruner and haven't really used it yet because the oil pump to oil the chain has died. New part has been on its way for two weeks now.

I would like to see a photo of your modifications as I purchased the saw for branches etc. It may be that your idea of a circular saw may be what I need also. I thought that Echo was a good brand and passed up a couple of other makes to buy the Echo.

cheers

Mingara

Pix of Echo Pole Pruner

If all goes well this should get you to pix of the pole pruner. http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/clawnz/Pole Pruner/
Don't get me wrong the Echo Pole Pruner is a good machine and do not listen to anybody who knocks Echo Engines, they are great.
*1 One thing I did forget, is the mod to the exhaust, mine goes out the front, away from my Balls. And forget the stupid harness.
I was told by a person at Stihl not to buy their unit as it has simular problems. when used on full extension.
Note I only refer to sliding extension pole saws.
The Stihl has vibration trouble from what a fellow Arborist told me when I was doing research into which unit to buy.
Other troubles I have had with the Echo pole pruner are.
Handle not clamping up on shaft, kept moving. Motor clamp used to be knurled nuts mounted in platic, tighten bolts = pulled nuts out of casing. Twice I lost a motor off of the shaft, once not ten mins into the first job after having this unit totaly rebuilt at Echo's cost. The choke lever on the older Echo's had a problem with vibrating closed, and getting caught on things. The first chainsaw head was missing the bits for the oiler to get from the res to the chain, completely.

Clawnz

I have just bought a used Echo power pruner and haven't really used it yet because the oil pump to oil the chain has died. New part has been on its way for two weeks now.

I would like to see a photo of your modifications as I purchased the saw for branches etc. It may be that your idea of a circular saw may be what I need also. I thought that Echo was a good brand and passed up a couple of other makes to buy the Echo.

cheers

Mingara

Should have bought the Stihl

Why

Should have bought the Stihl

This should be good for a long discussion?

I have never seen a round blade on a Stihl.

It's almost a Fanantic Attitude with some of you guys and Stihl, and read above, about comments from with-in house at Sthil, they say the extending poles saws all suffer from driveshaft issue's.
Toys in the Commercial Market. If you have to pamper them, they are not tools.
Sthil cost more for the same tools are normaly heavier. Where's the gain in that
I for one, would not call them in anyway superior to Husky or Jonsred.
Echo may not be as good on some of Sthil machine's, but at nearly have the cost I would not expect them tobe. I have run Echo Hedge Trimmers for the last 22years, and would claim the crank in the hedge trimmer gearbox is one of the best if not the best out there, and we know the engine is top notch. That is why it is still the same after all this time. The piston out of the hedge trimmer fits into the engine used on the pole pruner.
I run a veermer 6in Chipper, Because? It's the best out there.
Clive

It's almost a Fanantic Attitude with some of you guys and Stihl, and read above, about comments from with-in house at Sthil, they say the extending poles saws all suffer from driveshaft issue's.
Sthil cost more for the same tools are normaly heavier. Where's the gain in that
Echo may not be as good on some of Sthil machine's, but at nearly have the cost I would not expect them tobe. I have run Echo Hedge Trimmers for the last 22years, and would claim the crank in the hedge trimmer gearbox is one of the best if not the best out there, and we know the engine is top notch. That is why it is still the same after all this time. The piston out of the hedge trimmer fits into the engine used on the pole pruner.
Clive

Well Clive, I will tell you why it is a better pole saw. I started with the original HT75 pole saw and had it for years. Always started, always performed well. When the HT101's came out I sold my 75 and bought the 101. More torque, more power. Same gearbox and shaft. I have had it for 3 years with zero problems. Upon seeing the 131 and running it I could not believe the difference in power between the two so I now own it as well.
I for one have not had any shaft problems and the ones that I see is from the user pinching the bar and yanking on the unit causing the damage the other is from the user reving up the unit and then hitting the cut so it will not chatter on them and cut where they want to make their mark, I have seen this with the Echo and the old model 75 Stihl but because of the torque on the HT101 and 131 you do not need to rev the unit up you simply put it on the limb and pull the trigger. I will also take the 3 piece chainsaw clutch that the Stihl uses compared to the 2 piece that everyone else uses and in my opinion the Stihl gearbox is built a lot stronger than the Echo.

There you go.:D

Clive

I agree with you about the Stihl guys loving the Stihl pole prunners but its not just the Stihl guys that like them. I've sold a bunch of those and have yet to have any feedback other than its a great tool. When the rest make a pole prunner that will hang with the HT101 and 131's maybe they will get some reconition too but to date theres none out there that match em. True they are costly but they hold up well and do the job.

Also speaking of hedge trimmers the sweet spot on those is in the blades, not the engine. Don't care how good the engine is, if the blades are second class your in for some slow cutting. Once again the blades on the Stihl's are the best in the business and most any full time landscaper will swear to that.

Blades and blades

I agree with you about the Stihl guys loving the Stihl pole prunners but its not just the Stihl guys that like them. I've sold a bunch of those and have yet to have any feedback other than its a great tool. When the rest make a pole prunner that will hang with the HT101 and 131's maybe they will get some reconition too but to date theres none out there that match em. True they are costly but they hold up well and do the job.

Also speaking of hedge trimmers the sweet spot on those is in the blades, not the engine. Don't care how good the engine is, if the blades are second class your in for some slow cutting. Once again the blades on the Stihl's are the best in the business and most any full time landscaper will swear to that.

I can seriously voch for the blade quality for the Echo 210E 240E.
I have cut a powerline, a copper water pipe, nails, my finger, and many other things that creepers grow over. No8 Fence wire hardly leaves a mark on the cutters. when the cutters cut it.
I have only been using Echo Hedge Trimmers for 23 years, and in this short time I have never had Blade, gearbox, or engine trouble, with Echo. But I guess Stihl can beat this?
Some people need to pull thier heads out of the sand.
I am willing to try any make, but I do expect it to go the distance, even if I have to make some adjustments.
Heres another Stihl Factoid. This was in New Zealand.
Warranty disallowed due to use, of wrong oil! It was a friend of mine in the game. The oil was Pennzol 2stroke, this is cleared for use in 2stroke Helicopters, the Sthil siezed from new, after not very many hours.
I have been using the same oil as this for the last 3xyears, so have to agree Stihl must be something special.
Have a Good day.
Clive

I can seriously voch for the blade quality for the Echo 210E 240E.
I have cut a powerline, a copper water pipe, nails, my finger, and many other things that creepers grow over. No8 Fence wire hardly leaves a mark on the cutters. when the cutters cut it.
I have only been using Echo Hedge Trimmers for 23 years, and in this short time I have never had Blade, gearbox, or engine trouble, with Echo. But I guess Stihl can beat this?
Some people need to pull thier heads out of the sand.
I am willing to try any make, but I do expect it to go the distance, even if I have to make some adjustments.
Heres another Stihl Factoid. This was in New Zealand.
Warranty disallowed due to use, of wrong oil! It was a friend of mine in the game. The oil was Pennzol 2stroke, this is cleared for use in 2stroke Helicopters, the Sthil siezed from new, after not very many hours.
I have been using the same oil as this for the last 3xyears, so have to agree Stihl must be something special.
Have a Good day.
Clive

Dayummm Clive you came back late with a reply but glad ya did just the same. Sounds like to me you are upset with people that like Stihl and swear by them which in turn gives you a hard on for Stihl and its users. Sorry ya feel that way. Back on subject the blades on a Echo hedgetrimmer aren't bad, I sure didn't say they were bad. I will say bluntly they're no match for Stihl. Seen too many and listen to too many landscapers say the samething. Same deal with the pole prunner, Echo isn't bad, I never said they're were but they got nothing that will match the HT101 or the HT131. I had the pleasure of handling a Echo prunner today and the landscapers are right, the Stihl is better made. That's not saying the Echo is bad because it is not.

Far as the Stihl you saw seize, so what. If you would like to see a bunch of siezed Echo's that were left here and replaced with Stihl come on by, I got many heading to the dumpster. Doesn't mean they were bad products, just means they seized for whatever reason and thats that. All brands do it so put ya hopes away of convincing anyone Stihl plays second fiddle to Echo because they don't. I will say Echo outsells Stihl in trimmers. They used to outsell Stihl in blowers too but not anymore. The tide is changing, grab ya surfboard and join the crowd Clive.

Dayummm Clive you came back late with a reply but glad ya did just the same. Sounds like to me you are upset with people that like Stihl and swear by them which in turn gives you a hard on for Stihl and its users. Sorry ya feel that way. Back on subject the blades on a Echo hedgetrimmer aren't bad, I sure didn't say they were bad. I will say bluntly they're no match for Stihl. Seen too many and listen to too many landscapers say the samething. Same deal with the pole prunner, Echo isn't bad, I never said they're were but they got nothing that will match the HT101 or the HT131. I had the pleasure of handling a Echo prunner today and the landscapers are right, the Stihl is better made. That's not saying the Echo is bad because it is not.

Far as the Stihl you saw seize, so what. If you would like to see a bunch of siezed Echo's that were left here and replaced with Stihl come on by, I got many heading to the dumpster. Doesn't mean they were bad products, just means they seized for whatever reason and thats that. All brands do it so put ya hopes away of convincing anyone Stihl plays second fiddle to Echo because they don't. I will say Echo outsells Stihl in trimmers. They used to outsell Stihl in blowers too but not anymore. The tide is changing, grab ya surfboard and join the crowd Clive.

Well this is a few years on!
And I can tell you Echo have fixed all the problems that came with the old pole pruner out of the States.
It is now a very good reliable machine.

Now about My Hard On over Stihl.
My! My! How times change and now I can confirm the new Stihl tools are copping some flack down here for being not the quality they used to be. But I see the price's are still stupidly over priced.
Buy a Tanaka and shock yourself with just how good something half the price of a Stihl can be. You do have to make sure it is a Japanese Tanaka and not the stuff coming out of China, though.
Funny old world.

Now here is a success story. From time to time you will read here about Echo's warranty not being worth the paper it's printed in, yet you had an actual complaint and it worked out. Kind of the way it is supposed to work, huh?

I've used a Stihl HT-75 and currently own an Echo PPT-260. I can't really tell much of a difference if at all. Both work good.

I've used a Stihl HT-75 and currently own an Echo PPT-260. I can't really tell much of a difference if at all. Both work good.

Hi! Tallguys.

Yes it is great when they listen and change things for the better.

I have had a few things give trouble on my Echo Pole Pruner. But these are not design faults. ( Well I do not think they are)
First time we had to pull apart due to lose of drive, we found that is had not been assembled correctly. Easy fix put it together correctly.
Second and third time it gave trouble was bearings in the shaft. I put this down to the amount of water that runs down the shaft in the wet weather.
Forth time This could be over come by servicing and ensuring there is some lubricant around the lower drive shaft that has a plastic sleeve over it. Mine dried out and again due to water running down the shaft started to spin with the shaft and cooked it's self to the point that it melted and then locked up drive. Easy fix remove it.
Fith time was due to the lower bearing pulling out of housing. But this is not the correct bearing and has no circlip to hold in place and was only a temp fix until a new correct bearing arrives.
In stripping down I see no damage like we used to have on the old models. In two years I have not had to replace the sacrificial plastic mushroom that has now been changed to just a plastic insert. The lower drive shaft connection has been redesigned and shows no sign of any damage.

And I spin a thin nerf 71/4in Tungstan blade that cuts so cleanly. It will cut very light foliage and branches up to 4in.
The one thing I will say about this set up is the lack of weight when holding out on full extension. And I still like the clean cuts compared to the tearing of the chainsaw. It does not matter how much power you have when cutting small branches they do bounce around with a chainsaw leaving rough cuts.

Back