Stihl Tom foolery

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of guys over greased it in the past, until the grease came out at the clutch. So it is good the way like it is now. If it is really nessessary, you can grease it.
A. Little dab will do yah every now and then. Just like s cams, you want to keep it lubed without blowing seals and w greasing your brakes. If you don’t grease enough you’re replacing parts pre mature.

Some people are so incompetent that you can send them into a swamp with nothing but a pry bar and they come back with it bent. It’s just the way it is.

Like the machine in question the man didn’t clean or maintain it. In his eyes it was a pile of **** so I got it dirt cheap. It still ran but barely. Now with some elbow grease it’s going to be a good working unit. We need incompetent people to screw up simple things so we can get cheap stuff or have a job fixing things lol. I can’t tell you how many times I was given something because it won’t start. I put fresh gas in it and away she goes

..........................Um... I'm someone, I grease EVERYTHING, and frequently find the lowest quality grease from OEMs. Your reply comes off somewhere between complete incompetency in repair of high-hours machines, to snide and abusive to customers, to outright insane.

*for those with poor reading skills, this indicates that StihlTech does not include grease in his service because NO ONE USED IT ANYWAY. IMHO, he is including himself in this blanket statement, he is "no one" :laughing:
So how is it you grease a sealed bearing?

Hey Stihl, this part broke because no one greased it because foo-foo fitting.
The reply?
Doesn't break, doesn't need greased, no-one would grease it anyway.

Um... I'm someone, I grease EVERYTHING, and frequently find the lowest quality grease from OEMs. Your reply comes off somewhere between complete incompetency in repair of high-hours machines, to snide and abusive to customers, to outright insane.

*for those with poor reading skills, this indicates that StihlTech does not include grease in his service because NO ONE USED IT ANYWAY. IMHO, he is including himself in this blanket statement, he is "no one" :laughing:

I do agree with Vintage Machinery regarding the tamper-proof heads. It makes sense for a lot of reasons.
However, that does not excuse Stihl spitting in the face of LOYAL customers as we see above.
Let's not be answering for me. I pull the plug and check it if it is there. If the seals are good, you won't need to add any.
Never replaced a gear head with good seals. Usually failures due to bad seals or missing plug. The guys that put in a grease fitting proceed to blow right by the seal. Then it is no good.
The plug it not required.
Have the sealed heads being used professionally. Not seeing failures.

So I bought a new angle drive for my fs 550 and they have it so now you need a “special tool” to check/ fill the greaseView attachment 1126790

So there is that little pin in the centre
View attachment 1126791
I just used a drill bit and got it 90% of the way off. Now a t50 fits in there. What was wrong with the standard plug idk. I’m a big boy so I’ll grease my own shaft lol
I haven't encountered this - but when GM does it, I refer to it as "Needing GM special tool 666". I have so far never *not* been able to get anything apart that is reachable - but I sure have sworn a lot.

Let's not be answering for me. I pull the plug and check it if it is there. If the seals are good, you won't need to add any.
Never replaced a gear head with good seals. Usually failures due to bad seals or missing plug. The guys that put in a grease fitting proceed to blow right by the seal. Then it is no good.
The plug it not required.
Have the sealed heads being used professionally. Not seeing failures.
Seen a few on stihls but never had one fail on a redmax but the grease procedure is different on them.

Back