Echo Saws, are they Dependable

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had about 9 saws over the last 30 years including Husky and 3 Stihl's. I like things about both brands. However I sold one of my Stihl saws (MS390) to buy the Echo 4910 and I am glad I did. The Echo is smaller, lighter, has the best power to weight ratio for it's price, is easier to start and despite the cc difference favoring the Stihl 390 there very little noticeable difference in power.

The idea that the Echo saws are slower than the competition is definitely not true for the newer saws like the CS3510, CS4910, CS501, CS620 or the CS7310. There may be others as well.

As far as reliability goes all I have ever heard is good in that regard. I know they take longer to break in if that tells you anything.

I have since had my saw ported and with that it is just a beast. It's hard to comprehend how much power it has. Check out Charles Brisco on YouTube to see what can be done with these saws and still maintain their reliability.

While I am still not a brand fanboy and if I bought another saw would buy the one from whatever company had the model that was best suited to my needs I think the Echo saws are a real contender as one of the 3 best brands out there.

Well almost 74 and have ran a lot of different saw.
Since 2015 I've bought 4 Echo Chainsaws. Semi retired and don't run a saw everyday. I'm not in a hurry. I'm not logging. I cut a few residential trees that threaten property and cut a few cords of Firewood. Of the Echos I've bought only 1 saw I didn't like. ALL start easy. Run decent and after 6 weeks Being shelved with gas in them ( yes I'm getting old and lazy) they still Always crank. I don't recommend the cs310. Frankly it's not a value at 200 bucks when the cs352 is so much better. Don't be fooled by appearance. Compare the AV, air filters and yes 4 cc bigger engine makes a huge difference in small engines. Back in the day Poulan made a nice 60 cc saw the 380 Poulan Pro. It had AV and was a decent saw. The Poulan 2150 no AV gave me numb hands but mine was decent. At this time I'd never spend money on a cheap saw that could be applied toward a good echo. The cs590 is a decent saw and handles a 28 inch bar for that big tree every once in a while. Most times It's wearing a 20 inch bar decent chain. The saw that sees the most use is the cs352. My first one had a flaw. Not a big deal. Nothing the dealer could not have fixed for just a few bucks BUT HE DIDN'T. Any person clearing brush will eventually drop a chain. My cs352 wasn't a month old and a saw Brier flipped the chain off snapping the plastic Chain catcher. It broke off of the clutch cover and I took the saw back all happy to be quoted a price for repair instead of warranty. So that ruined my buyers joy. I repaired it myself and that's been a couple years ago and no problems since. Unless someone is using a saw to make a living working day in and day out my Feelings are Echo probably is a better deal than buying big Name brand saws. I still own some Sthil saws but never use them with the exception of my 029 Farm boss with 18 inch bar. I use it because I've got it and it does a good job. Tried to sell it for 300 to my nieghbor. He had a big pine blow down. He was amazed how well that saw cuts. However it's not stock. Changed the spur to rim drive. Very good bar and chain plus muffler mod. A very good Chainsaw. Well built. Not an every day all day saw but danged well worth 300 bucks to me. It's 54cc (I'm thinking) and the cs490 Echo is 50. There's no comparison. The Sthil smokes the Echo 50 cc saw. But price wise the Echo is a lot cheaper. Just my opinion. Feel free to voice yours.
Echo chainsaws?! They should be dependable/reliable. After all we're talking about ancient proven tested technology 2 stroke engines! Not some complicated V12 engine variable valve intake and exhaust, atkinson "thing" multiple computer controlled...
Japanese were/are good at ICE engines, remember soichiro honda?! The "guy" that built present day Honda company. Echo not building reliable chainsaws would be a disgrace for all japanese engineers ,if you ask me...

love my honda..Sadly Briggs small engines are NOT what they once were..Kholer isn't either..I'm not sure but Honda seems to keep on being a good choice..I use small engines a lot and the Kawasiki sure makes a good sound..Runs strong and so far so good..

You are NOT going to help out any of those older Echo saws with power, chain speed or cutting performance leaning up the carb trying to get them to RPM. The piston ported variety with the horizontal cylinders are a bit lackluster for power, the reed valve models and even slower. As much as I like Echo power equipment none of those early models have stayed in my line-up and you'll NEVER find yourself reaching for one in the 50cc range if you have a Husqvarna closed port 55 nearby or a newer model Echo CS-510. The CS-510 is a "sleeper" in the Echo line-up, STRONG power for 50cc and it loves to rev and has excellent upper mid-range and top end power.

With Echo you have to research and specifically select models from the line-up that make the grade as for sure they didn't get it right with quite a few of them. The new CS-490 is popular, well built and lots of professional features but it's "lackluster" for power for the cc's. I know that comment woln't sit well with a few that own and use them, but it's not even in the same league as a Husqvarna 346XP, 55 closed port, or even a 350.....IMHO.......
I have a 2511 t been modded and a 355 stock last 4 years no problems ever, love my 2511

love my honda..Sadly Briggs small engines are NOT what they once were..Kholer isn't either..I'm not sure but Honda seems to keep on being a good choice..I use small engines a lot and the Kawasiki sure makes a good sound..Runs strong and so far so good..
Briggs is out of business now. And you’re right about Kohler not being what they used to be. Had no problems with Kawasaki, Honda, or Subaru small engines

Well, I took my Stihl 026 in to see what is wrong . An air leak in the crank case and another leak. For 225 dollars I decided to run it till it dies and put the $225 for an Echo 620P. I got the last one in the shop, take it home, hardly started. Got it going for a few cuts. Started getting mad, The said they ran it. I dont think they did cause I didnt hear it at all. I take it back and a young woman, ealry 20's takes it in the back and then I hear it. She said it was just idling too low. She told me that the air valve for the gas tank may not be working?? If it starts to act up she said take off the gas cap for a second. I take it home and it did start and ran well. I did have to take the gas cap off however. What is that all about??? It cuts fast, likely as fast as my Stihll 441. The chain is very aggresive and sharp. CliffR is right , it does like the higher RPM's , likely cause of the sharp chain that will stop if the RPM's are not up enough. They told me in about 10 tanks , it will likely need a carb readjust and should come back and they will adjust it. I am letting them do everything and I want the 5 yr . warranty without them making any excuses about me playing with the saw,, and no, I will not be doing a muffler mod or get it ported. It is fast enough now and likely will be a bit faster when it the engine sets in. Later guys. Also, if I like the saw so much , I gues I could sell my Stihl 441. It really is a bit of over kill . I bought it cause it was real cheap , $783 with tax and 2 chains. If I could get $600 for it I would go buy another 620, or 590 and a 510P. I used to get all the wood I wanted for free at a tree service place, however, so could everyone else, leaving me with rounds up to 40" that no one else could manage about 10 yrs ago when heat oil and propane was expensive . It is getting to that point again though. .Now days I get about 24 to 30" ash and no bigger. Might be a good plan to trade my 13 yr . old 441 for a new Echo 590 or even a 620. Later.

Well, I took my Stihl 026 in to see what is wrong . An air leak in the crank case and another leak. For 225 dollars I decided to run it till it dies and put the $225 for an Echo 620P. I got the last one in the shop, take it home, hardly started. Got it going for a few cuts. Started getting mad, The said they ran it. I dont think they did cause I didnt hear it at all. I take it back and a young woman, ealry 20's takes it in the back and then I hear it. She said it was just idling too low. She told me that the air valve for the gas tank may not be working?? If it starts to act up she said take off the gas cap for a second. I take it home and it did start and ran well. I did have to take the gas cap off however. What is that all about??? It cuts fast, likely as fast as my Stihll 441. The chain is very aggresive and sharp. CliffR is right , it does like the higher RPM's , likely cause of the sharp chain that will stop if the RPM's are not up enough. They told me in about 10 tanks , it will likely need a carb readjust and should come back and they will adjust it. I am letting them do everything and I want the 5 yr . warranty without them making any excuses about me playing with the saw,, and no, I will not be doing a muffler mod or get it ported. It is fast enough now and likely will be a bit faster when it the engine sets in. Later guys. Also, if I like the saw so much , I gues I could sell my Stihl 441. It really is a bit of over kill . I bought it cause it was real cheap , $783 with tax and 2 chains. If I could get $600 for it I would go buy another 620, or 590 and a 510P. I used to get all the wood I wanted for free at a tree service place, however, so could everyone else, leaving me with rounds up to 40" that no one else could manage about 10 yrs ago when heat oil and propane was expensive . It is getting to that point again though. .Now days I get about 24 to 30" ash and no bigger. Might be a good plan to trade my 13 yr . old 441 for a new Echo 590 or even a 620. Later.
I love my cs590, 490, 352. Three Sthils,, sitting. Doing nothing. Im going to give the 024/026 away to friends. The Sthil 029x3 will stay home. Occasionally I run it with a 24 inch bar very agressive chain. It's almost the same weight as my cs590 but not as strong. 029=54cc but cuts well with the 3 mods. 590=59 or 60 cc. The 029 is almost redundant but I like it. Echo is my pick though.

So Echo gas chainsaws are good and capable! Was wondering what an actual user thinks about them!

Reliability is echos main characteristic. I run cs-400s and cs-590s without issue. Red armor mix and rec fuel, and I clean the saw good after each use with air compressor. So far so good.
until this site I had no ideea what saw is good or not that good. only heard seen and just once held in hand for the guy who was cutting some wood to get the bar oil bottle 😁
Stihl or Husqvarna were the same in my eyes ,and head! until I saw a friend of mine using a Makita 6400. impressive stuff indeed. 🥳
p.s. only found out about echo chainsaws here, and a day after that where they were made : Japan.

until this site I had no ideea what saw is good or not that good. only heard seen and just once held in hand for the guy who was cutting some wood to get the bar oil bottle 😁
Stihl or Husqvarna were the same in my eyes ,and head! until I saw a friend of mine using a Makita 6400. impressive stuff indeed. 🥳
Those dolmar/makita saws are great from what I hear. Always wanted a 7900/7910

Briggs is out of business now. And you’re right about Kohler not being what they used to be. Had no problems with Kawasaki, Honda, or Subaru small engines
Still a ton of flat head Briggs and K-series Kohlers out there to last my lifetime.I love the Kohlers with ball bearing supported cranks and ease of rebuild.Great simple reliable motors.

I've got 2 590s, 2 310s and a 2511.
2 bought new and the rest used.
The only one that's temperamental is the 2511.
The 310s, one was in the shop and and I needed a similar sized saw, so I bought a second. If my dealer had had a 352 in stock I'd have went that route.
Great saws for the work i use them for.

Those dolmar/makita saws are great from what I hear. Always wanted a 7900/7910
Had a 5100 Maruyama branded along with a MS261. Liked the 261 better and moved the Dolmar on down the road. In hindsight, I’m wondering if I gave it a fair shake. Ended up not carrying much for the 261. The 261 did have a broader power band though.

I've had about 9 saws over the last 30 years including Husky and 3 Stihl's. I like things about both brands. However I sold one of my Stihl saws (MS390) to buy the Echo 4910 and I am glad I did. The Echo is smaller, lighter, has the best power to weight ratio for it's price, is easier to start and despite the cc difference favoring the Stihl 390 there very little noticeable difference in power.

The idea that the Echo saws are slower than the competition is definitely not true for the newer saws like the CS3510, CS4910, CS501, CS620 or the CS7310. There may be others as well.

As far as reliability goes all I have ever heard is good in that regard. I know they take longer to break in if that tells you anything.

I have since had my saw ported and with that it is just a beast. It's hard to comprehend how much power it has. Check out Charles Brisco on YouTube to see what can be done with these saws and still maintain their reliability.

While I am still not a brand fanboy and if I bought another saw would buy the one from whatever company had the model that was best suited to my needs I think the Echo saws are a real contender as one of the 3 best brands out there.
I’m looking real hard @ the 3510 and 4910 as my second saw to compliment my MS 310 w/ 20” bar

Back