Economy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what's killing me and most small business is the Government.

their hair brained liberal social experiments and the taxes they want to raise to pay for them.our Einstein of a governor wants to raise gas taxes because they are short on revenue from people not driving as much.smart move idiot!

got a guy wants a quote.seems he hired ABC to do a takedown.has paid the guy most of the money up front.seems he comes for an hour every few days and takes a litlle down at a time.his wife is ready to divorce him.not to mention he paid to much.i'm trying to find out more info to contact ABC with.

i don't moonlight on line clearing,what the hell do they think they are doing moonlighting in my territory? i'm friggin' so pissed i can't see straight right now.

i don't moonlight on line clearing,what the hell do they think they are doing moonlighting in my territory? i'm friggin' so pissed i can't see straight right now.

Got a problem with utility guys doing side work? Your territory? Its a free country. Live and let live.

we'll see what ABC thinks about not getting a cut.

since it's their equipment.i wonder how their insurance is gonna pay when they screw up.if it's a company that does both,go for it.ABC does not here.i don't dip into their line,i can't actually.what comes around..............

actually.............

if a line guy wants to go do it on the side with his equipment,or work PT for another tree service,i'm all for it.

if i found out one of my employees was doing it under my name,with my equipment without my knowledge,he'd be one sorry SOB.

if a line guy wants to go do it on the side with his equipment,or work PT for another tree service,i'm all for it.

if i found out one of my employees was doing it under my name,with my equipment without my knowledge,he'd be one sorry SOB.

If your guys do it after work and piece you off are you ok with that?

nor really.

If your guys do it after work and piece you off are you ok with that?

if my guys had a gig and wanted to make some extra $ i would be fine with it.as long as they brought me in the loop to know what was going on so i could talk with the customer and make everything legit in case of an accident.i would stay out of it financially.i don't,nor do they need the legal nightmare.

i guess this is why i have no employees.i don't think i could trust anyone in that capacity.

I think it all depends on how it is set up. Our staff has rules to follow. Very simple if it is for an immediate family member go for it, anyone else then it is decision time, how well do you like your job. Do sideline work and you don't have one. Very simple.

Business is up a good deal, but expenses are too, so that is keeping my profit dollars down. As I see it, the powers that be are out to wipe out the middle class is the US. The ruling elite want us to be broken, and broke, to the point where we will work for the same wages as out-source workers in poorer countries. In that way, the rich will get richer, as usual, but then, they will not have to worry about any competition from the independent businessman, like you and I, because we will be forced to work for them, for low wages, just to feed our families. It is a terrible situation and, short of radical changes in our whole system, I do not see how it will be avoided.

I guess I don't sound like the paranoid head case I am. Would you like to hold one of my signs? You can choose between " The end is near"- "I told you so"- And " Look in the mirror and tell me abortion should be illegal"
I am ready for radical, sounds fun, is OTG going to be there?

I think it all depends on how it is set up. Our staff has rules to follow. Very simple if it is for an immediate family member go for it, anyone else then it is decision time, how well do you like your job. Do sideline work and you don't have one. Very simple.

I had this one guy who wanted me to sign a no- compete clause. Not only was a laughing out loud then but I still am. Whatever job it is you be sure it doesn't mean that much to me.
I don't see how you could fire someone for doing work on his own. Frankly your attitude makes me sick.
I guess since you pay them you feel as though you own them? What do you pay them anyway?

Last edited:
I don't see how you could fire someone for doing work on his own. Frankly your attitude makes me sick.
I guess since you pay them you feel as though you own them? What do you pay them anyway?

I'm with you treemandan. I guess he's worried about people taking food out of his mouth.

Hell I just took my first lawn cutting job since I was 11. Its for a neighbor who is getting on and I would have just told the kid down the street but now I want to make the most out of each client and keep it to myself.
As I was cutting this ladies grass with my old cub cadet 36" lawn tractor I was thinking" this is something I usually do drunk and a lot slower." As I am bouncing through the yard at warp speed trying not to hurt any trees I ran full bore into the sewer vent, stoppped me dead.
I can start hauling scrap steel if I have to. One guy around here got through the winter like that.

Ahh, adding a cub cadet to that arsenal of yers there dan-nice! lol.

I think it is important to keep in mind that here in Iowa people don't grow up dealing with trees. We have corn and hogs. Very rarely do I get an employee that has any experience at all. I teach them everything. I am not about training my future competition.

I totaly agree with PTS on the employees doing sidework issue. My employee's job is to do treework for my company. If he is doing work on the side then he is my competition. Now I'm for being friendly with the competition but on a level field and not taking work from me. Where does the side work end? When that employee is out talking to customers for my company who's to say he won't just go behind my back and do it himself? Besides if he wants to work on his own he can pay for his own equipment, insurance, advertisement, ect.

Your average climbing arborist has a short work life expectancy. Most dont get to do more then 15 years, I would say the average would be closer to 8 years.

The arborists job is a hard and dangerous one, and uncertain. Bad weather, crap economy, break downs, injuries, poor health, problems at home can all bite into a weekly pay check. The one thing that can make a big difference is doing side jobs.

I dont LIKE my guys doing side jobs, but I think the fact they risk there life to help me get work done, I have no right to say what they can do on there own time providing it doesnt effect them during the week. Heck I have even helped them out to do some of these jobs. It doesnt hurt me much, but it means alot to them.

Im an arborist who hires other arborists. Im not some Big Brother.

Latest posts

Back