Edging slabs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marklambert61

Marklambert61

ArboristSite Operative
I have learned my lesson now but when I stated milling I made a lot of slabs...

Since that time I learned is a whole lot easier to make a cants then mill it to lumber. When there dry just go to the planer and joiner and sweet lumber is in hand...

But now I'm left with a barn full of the slabs I cut more that a year ago...

What the best way you guys have found for edging slabs?

Mark...

Eaten saw dust breathing exhaust and loving it.

Brmorgan

Brmorgan

Addicted to ArboristSite
I use angle iron for a fence (straight edge) C-clamps and worn gear skillsaw.
I like a carbide, coarse tooth saw blade. And of course a square.

Agreed. I use a circular saw with a Freud Diablo blade. It has a very narrow kerf, just over 1/16", and is designed to cut wet wood without binding too. It will take 2" D Fir or Birch pretty much as fast as I can push through the wood. Because of this I've taken to flitch-cutting any logs I'm going to use for two-by structural lumber, because it's faster than canting square and then slabbing with the chainsaw. I only have a 7-1/4" saw so I'm limited to about 2-2.5 inches of thickness though. My cousin used to work in a staircase factory and they had a 12" handheld circular saw to cut big D Fir stringer beams - that would increase capacity a bit! If you need to rip slabs in absence of electricity though, something like a Granberg Mini-Mill or Beam Machine & small chainsaw would be the best IMO.

Last edited:
Sawyer Rob

Sawyer Rob

Addicted to ArboristSite
What the best way you guys have found for edging slabs?

Best cheapest way for me is to do it on the mill, but...this baby works pretty good too... :)

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Rob

Haywire Haywood

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
I've been screwing a 1x8 to the slab with one side hanging off the edge. I use that straight edge against the rip fence on my table saw to take the opposite edge off, then take the 1x8 off and put the cut I just made against the fence to take the remaining edge off. Of course, my slabs are only 8' long and only 5/4 thick so longer/thicker slabs might not work well that way. It's till awkward and time consuming too.

Ian

dustytools

dustytools

Addicted to ArboristSite
I've been screwing a 1x8 to the slab with one side hanging off the edge. I use that straight edge against the rip fence on my table saw to take the opposite edge off, then take the 1x8 off and put the cut I just made against the fence to take the remaining edge off. Of course, my slabs are only 8' long and only 5/4 thick so longer/thicker slabs might not work well that way. It's till awkward and time consuming too.

Ian

You had better be careful when using a table-saw, I know a guy that screwed up three of his fingers while using one.:)

woodshop

woodshop

Addicted to ArboristSite
I just snap a chalkline and use a circular saw.It's the fastest way i know of.:)

This is exactly what I do if I need to edge, often don't even use the chalkline, just freehand. I'm not making S4S lumber at this point, so why does it have to be dead nuts strait line? I try and mill cants such that I have no trimming, but occasionally you get boards that need cleaning up no matter how you mill the cant.

Last edited:
aggiewoodbutchr

aggiewoodbutchr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Agreed. I use a circular saw with a Freud Diablo blade. It has a very narrow kerf, just over 1/16", and is designed to cut wet wood without binding too. It will take 2" D Fir or Birch pretty much as fast as I can push through the wood. Because of this I've taken to flitch-cutting any logs I'm going to use for two-by structural lumber, because it's faster than canting square and then slabbing with the chainsaw. I only have a 7-1/4" saw so I'm limited to about 2-2.5 inches of thickness though. My cousin used to work in a staircase factory and they had a 12" handheld circular saw to cut big D Fir stringer beams - that would increase capacity a bit! If you need to rip slabs in absence of electricity though, something like a Granberg Mini-Mill or Beam Machine & small chainsaw would be the best IMO.

+1

Every once in a while I'll use my Dad's 16 1/4" beam saw (just a circle saw on steroids) for edging a thick slab. It doesn't like making rip cuts but it will get the job done.

slabmaster

slabmaster

ArboristSite Guru
+1 Me too. It can be a bit of a pain but I find you can squeeze a little extra width out of the slabs versus making a cant. :cheers:

That's why i do it with a circular saw.I can get wider boards out of some of the slab,especually when when the tree has a curve to it.:) Less waste of good wood.

Brmorgan

Brmorgan

Addicted to ArboristSite
That edger's a nice machine, Rob. I recently got two top-quality 1" arbor, 14" ripsaw blades from the mill I work at. They were used when it was a cedar specialty mill years ago, and the old equipment they were used in is no longer there so they let me have 'em. Got a good crosscut blade too. I'm considering building an edger with those blades (eventually). I need to find a good 5 hp horizontal engine to run them if I want to make it portable though, or I have a good 3hp electric if not. And I have a good 50:1 worm gear reducer that I could use for a power feeder. So many projects, so little time...

Latest posts