edible plants for ground cover and deer feed?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanhalenps4

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone thank you for looking.. I am doing some heavy brush removal as well as thinning a wood stand that hasn't been managed for about 40 years, so there will be some clearings. We also have a 2 acre field that is full of weeds, some native, some invasive.. I would like to keep the areas managed well and get the most out of it.. My question is what are some native plants that are good for the deer and other wildlife? Clover was the only thing that came to mind. Variety would be nice.. A great bonus would be if we could eat the plants too.. There are wild black-/raspberries that do well but multiflora rose and other invasive species take over very quickly around here.. By the way I live in Southwestern PA. The soil is high quality; formerly farmed many years ago. good rainfall/drainage here.. Thanks in advance.

Purslane takes off nicely and is a serious nutritional powerhouse.
Best part is, it's a PITA to kill and chopping it up with a tiller just spreads it faster, and it aggressively takes over open spaces.

Latest posts

Back