Eduardo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Big Hurt

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey Florida guys....how about T.S. Eduardo. Floridas first real threat. Looks like it POURED in central Florida tonight! I would never wish disaster on our state but I was hoping for some decent winds...it always creates a lot of work and I could use more work.

How did you all make out down there in Andrew.. Was there a lot of tree damage?? Heard it was much more costly than Hugo in '89... And that was the worst ever at the time... Turns out Floyd, '99, did more damage to the Carolinas than Hugo... and it was mostly just the spin-off rains... not much wind as Floyd made an unexpected last minute right turn out to sea...
That was a bit of a miracle... people have no comprehension of the devastation Floyd would have brought had it made land..
Laurie and I were visiting her family in California at the time.. everybody was sitting around calmly eating dinner watching the weather channel.... I couldn't even sit down...looking at this storm 500 mi across, sitting right off the coast from Virginia down to Georgia... Life would have never been the same. Man would have tasted the true wrath of Yima Yea. Probably would have tanked the whole economic system as the big insurance co.s would have toppled... And the loss of life and property.... think like dozens of 9-11s.
Somebody stop me here.. It's supposed to be sunny, low humidity, and high of 84* tomorrow.. There.. that's better.
God Bless All,
Daniel

Unfortunatly for the tree guys this has been a non event. I live about 80 miles North from where it came ashore, and we aren't really having any weather from it, just some rain that is not very heavy. The guys close will of course have work from it, but I am not goingto waste my time driving there. I was expecting some tornados that usually pop up around these things and stir up trouble, but I haven't even heard of anything like that. When it came ashore winds were about 35mph --no big deal.
Andrew was pretty bad in S FL. It funded a bunch of tree co's I'm sure. I wasn't really in the biz deep enough back then to have gone down there to work. I am ready and waiting along with several of my guys for the next big one. I know an electrician who went down to miami after the last storm and stayed for 6months working 7 days a week minm 12hr days, he said on average it worked out that he was making 4xregualr pay, and with the hours he put in he made a small fortune. He came back and bought a 32 ft boat for $70k cash, and says he still put a chunk of change to the bank.
A tree guy I knew bought a small trailer to live in, moved down to W.Palm and worked for about 4 months and moved less than 1 mile from where he started. Funded his start up, -bought a chipper,truck,ton of other gear, and paid his guys really well. He said the insurance guys were set up at the entrance to neighborhoods cutting checks all day long. Easy BIG money!! All the chips and wood stayed in the yards for later later pick up.
Greg

One great thing-- we are getting some good waves. I'll hopefully have time to hit the surf tomorrow am. Check out www.surf-station.com click surf report, they update the site several times per day with pics of the waves out back if you are interested. Also www.jaxsurfcam.com -a little closer to home, but the cam never has good shots like the surfstation boys post.
Greg

Latest posts

Back