Eh?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madhatte

It's The Water
Staff member
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
LOOKIT THEM NUMBERS

zdz420b4-quad.jpg

Neither of these would make a good hotsaw engine. The spool up time on a drone engine is much longer than a single cylinder two-cycle, even a large displacement one like the CR 500. Those drone motors are made for sustained operation at moderate to moderate-high RPM. The McCulloch drone engines were designed to make peak power at 5500.

Geeze, JJ, way to know stuff!

Seriously, though, I didn't consider spool-up time. I just saw big power:weight and thought "hmm, that might be cool". I sure as hell ain't payin the best part of five grand for a saw engine!

It is a way-cool engine though, with what looks to be great design and engineering. If I were building a small plane or helicopter, I would give this engine a hard look. Too bad it's oversize for an ultralight engine.

yep a 2 stroke motorcycle engine of comparitive size in single cylinder often puts out higher power ratings than that. One of the old CR or KX motors would be grouse on a saw I am looking for a good kx or cr 250 2 stroke at the moment to build one out of.

You nailed it JJ. A good operator will get the saw started and in the wood in a second. That motor has to go from stopped to the rev limit instantly if you're gonna have power when it hits the wood.

Back