Elastostart Fit on Non-Stihl Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RES

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was thinking of putting Elastostart handles on my two Dolmar saws. I decided not to. The handle does not interface very well with the housing on either the Dolmar 117 or the Dolmar DC6400. It would look too kludgey. I am not sure how they would fit on Husky or Jonsered saws.

I say why the hell not, I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as you get the right length rope. Try and match your saws power wise with Stihl's to get a handle setup that fits well.

I've put Elasto-starts on several Jonsered, Husqvarna, and McCulloch saws. They mesh with the starter housings as good as any aftermarket straight handle. The orange circle on the Elasto-start handle actually goes quite well with a shiny new 372.

I just put one on a Husky 2100 - wish I'd done it long ago. Don't really care how it looks - I'm just glad to have my fingers working again !

Nikko

makita7900rear.jpg

makita7900close.jpg

Works fine for me!
This is a TS400 handle with a 3.5mm cord they come with a 4mm but its just too thick.

so does that suggest you can put any rope on any Elastostart handle.? A dealer here told me the ropes and the handles were integrel, and he didn't seem too anxious to help me around the problem.

so does that suggest you can put any rope on any Elastostart handle.? A dealer here told me the ropes and the handles were integrel, and he didn't seem too anxious to help me around the problem.

Theres different types, The most basic one is on my FS250 strimmer the MS 280 one is a bit better and the TS400 style one in the pic seems the best the ropes can be changes real easy from the handle, The ropes come on a reel with the plastic stops built in, you just taylor the lenth of the rope to the saw.
They are in different diameters, Im sure mine are from 3-4mm.

I have switched most of my over 100cc saws over to elastostart regardless of brand. It is especially nice on the monsters with no decomp.

If I walk into my dealership and ask him for a TS400 (that's a cutoff saw, isn't it?) Elastostart handle, I should be able to mate it to either the existing rope in my dad's saw or a new rope just like it? Sorry to be asking the question over and over, I would really like to be able to do this for my dad. Anything that'll help a 68 yr old shoulder is well recieved. BTW love the saw

I have switched most of my over 100cc saws over to elastostart regardless of brand. It is especially nice on the monsters with no decomp.

Maybe my 7900 is a freak but with no decomp from the factory it will rip the rope out of your hand! The Elastostart helps a lot.
I even have one on the 242XP lol overkill but it needed a rope so why not!

If I walk into my dealership and ask him for a TS400 (that's a cutoff saw, isn't it?) Elastostart handle, I should be able to mate it to either the existing rope in my dad's saw or a new rope just like it? Sorry to be asking the question over and over, I would really like to be able to do this for my dad. Anything that'll help a 68 yr old shoulder is well recieved. BTW love the saw

Yep the TS400 is a cutoff saw.
Now dont quote me on this but I "think" the TS350 has the 3.5mm rope in the same handle as the TS400.
I just ask for a TS400 handle and a 3.5mm rope and the guy comes back with the right one.
The MS280 handle is all in one and you have to change the whole thing not just a rope, But they should last a long time
The MS361 one works well also!

Last edited:
Maybe my 7900 is a freak but with no decomp from the factory it will rip the rope out of your hand! The Elastostart helps a lot.
I even have one on the 242XP lol overkill but it needed a rope so why not!

The 7900 is plenty big enough to need one. I only mentioned that size cause almost all of my saws are 100cc+.

that's exactly what I thought. He(the guy at the dealership) told me that the rope I need is too long and I can't Take an Elastostart handle apart to put the proper rope in it. I wasn't going to argue, but his answer didn't sit well.

All elasto starts are is a spring dampener in the handle and a piece of rope.
I've never taken one apart to see if you can change the rope size. If you want to put one on the 3400,
I'd get a elasto start designed for a 361. The rope on the TS400 is the thickest rewind rope offered and wouldn't work.
Just match up a Stihl model of similar engine size and ask for that one.

Latest posts

Back