Elbow & forearm pain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny, I actually play tennis a couple of times a week.I think they should call it "woodcutter's elbow" as the wood causes me more trouble.I think it is caused, as others have said, by too much "one handing".Most of us were taught how to work by guys who were keeping both hands busy, stacking with one and grabbing with the other.Might be o.k with dry stuff, but not a good idea with 20-30 pound chunks.

I get the same pain every year, it starts in late November and by Christmas I am beyond the advil point and I stop at the Docs office for a shot in the elbow.Doc shoots me with a little cortisone and the pain diminishes enough to finish the season. The forearm strap helps a good bit, and I have also tried to teach myself to throw wood alternating right to left arms which also helps. But, all things told, I am a cripple by the time the wood selling season is over.
By mid March I am over it, and back to the woodpile to get ready for the next years wood season.

Careful with that cortisone.I've been told that can be harmful if done to often.Do you wear the strap while working?

Yeah, that is what the doc told me. Wont give me a repeat until 6 months have passed. Its about the only thing that takes the pain away enough to keep chunking wood though.
Yep, wear the strap while working. Seems to help quite a bit, especially when the day gets to be a 16 hour day throwing wood.

I'm 29 I go to the gym and am pretty active and I got tennis Elbow this summer. Started around June and I waited until last month to go to the doctor. I couldn't figure out how I got a repetitive stress injury when I hardly repeat anything.

Anyway he gave me some anti-flammitory pills, I took them for 2 weeks before I read more about the drug and the side effects. I knew the doctor would through some drug at me so I would leave him alone. I've stopped the gym to allow my elbow some time to heal. I have wood to cut not to mention 2 dogs and 3 horses to take care of I can't afford to sit on the couch and wait for it to get better.

I've been try to make an effort to stop when it hurts or feels awkward, trying using the other hand, use an open face grip when ever possible when grabbing something. So far the pain has gone down but it's still there.
I also got a strap for my elbow, it helps but drives me nuts when I wear it.

Just a side note about some of the side effects of anit-inflammitories. From what I've read in alot of RSI when the joints get "inflamed" it's to protect your joints, tissues, ligaments and help the healing process. When you take the anit-inflammintory your getting rid of that helpful "swelling" which is protecting everything, so even though you don't feel any pain there's still damage and not having that protection in there you just end up making things alot worse. My doctor gave a prescription of 60 pills with 3 refills.
Good luck.

Bill

Last edited:
Perhaps you can get your wife/girlfriend/mistress/hooker to do some of that repetative motion for you for the time being.

I'm 29 I go to the gym and am pretty active and I got tennis Elbow this summer. Started around June and I waited until last month to go to the doctor. I couldn't figure out how I got a repetitive stress injury when I hardly repeat anything.

Anyway he gave me some anti-flammitory pills, I took them for 2 weeks before I read more about the drug and the side effects. I knew the doctor would through some drug at me so I would leave him alone. I've stopped the gym to allow my elbow some time to heal. I have wood to cut not to mention 2 dogs and 3 horses to take care of I can't afford to sit on the couch and wait for it to get better.

I've been try to make an effort to stop when it hurts or feels awkward, trying using the other hand, use an open face grip when ever possible when grabbing something. So far the pain has gone down but it's still there.
I also got a strap for my elbow, it helps but drives me nuts when I wear it.

Just a side note about some of the side effects of anit-inflammitories. From what I've read in alot of RSI when the joints get "inflamed" it's to protect your joints, tissues, ligaments and help the healing process. When you take the anit-inflammintory your getting rid of that helpful "swelling" which is protecting everything, so even though you don't feel any pain there's still damage and not having that protection in there you just end up making things alot worse. My doctor gave a prescription of 60 pills with 3 refills.
Good luck.

Bill

That's why I took Ibuprofen.

elbow and forearm pain

Seems like the more time I spend sawing and picking up logs especially with my right hand the more my forearm and elbow hurts. Is this what they call "tennis elbow"? Anybody else experience this and if so what, other than rest, helps? One of those bands people wear around their forearm?

I have had this for several years and have tried just about everything including the cortisone shots. I just recently had surgery to correct and I would advise against wasting your money on the surgery. After approx 4 months it still feels like I have the tennis elbow and the surgery itself was no picnic. As some other posters have said use the anti-inflammitory and homeopathic meds sparingly as necessary as well as a strap. I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I am just going to have to live with it and adjust my physical activities accordingly.

I have had this for several years and have tried just about everything including the cortisone shots. I just recently had surgery to correct and I would advise against wasting your money on the surgery. After approx 4 months it still feels like I have the tennis elbow and the surgery itself was no picnic. As some other posters have said use the anti-inflammitory and homeopathic meds sparingly as necessary as well as a strap. I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I am just going to have to live with it and adjust my physical activities accordingly.

The stretching was probably the biggest aide in resolving mine. That and icing. I'd generally ice for 20min. then off for 30min. and alternate for a couple of hours.

NEVER use heat to resolve a tendon related problem. Chances are that the inflammation will just get worse.

I hear you all, and i see the tennis-elbow and cortisone....

here a little story about my dad 15 years ago

Diagnosed tennis elbow after having a returning pain in his arm. (also more work, more pain etc etc) Things got worse and more frequent and the cortisone treatments started.

Weekly injections for 4 months with NO result (except for the side effects). Doctors started talking about operation.

My dad's no big fan of knives and needles so goes to a chiropracter following the advise of a friend.

1, ONE treatment and his whole tennis-elbow thing was solved. instantly.

Nerves run to your spine, one of his discs was slightly out of place and putting pressure on the nerves related to his arm. As simple as that.

Pain is a perception and the cause can be anywhere down the line. Think of it as an electric line with a lamp at the end, when the light goes out it does not mean the bulb went out also the cable can be broken.

Be cautious with straightforward diagnoses which are solved by masking treatments (as cortisones, painskillers, etc).

:cheers:

Funny thing is, I hardly notice it when lifting logs, splitting, or stacking. Later, when I'm picking up a beer is when it hurts. That sucks!

Yeah that's the worst part grabbing a beer or picking up a cup o coffee and the pain is back after working in the woods or splitting or stacking and having no problems.

Yep I think allot of it actually comes from that grabbing the split or round with one hand and lifting it or throwing it. As with any muscle or soft tissue injury, it's a long time in healing. I once hurt a bicep and could not rotate my hand/wrist without allot of pain. That took near on 6 months before it healed fully. I guess it's just any type of repetition of motion and you stand a chance of injury.

I guess we're all falling apart!

Just got back from an appointment with an Orthopedic doctor tonight; been having knee pain for about 6 weeks, and thought I better get it looked at. It has been improving, but it still is there and is a pain especially when working. He took x-rays, said "there's some arthritis there, possibly some torn cartilage". Then he examines me and twists this way and that way and asks "how's that for you"? and I said "not bad" all the while he's watching my face for any painful reactions! So he gives me a shot of Cortisone and says "I'll see you in two weeks". Man, this getting older really takes it's toll; but we just gotta keep moving on and do the best that we can. I told him that I had a shot in the other knee about 4 years ago and haven't had a problem since, but we'll have to see about this one. Oh well...

I have had the same results...once out of 3 or 4 times.

We have been talking elbows here, but for those of you with shoulder pain, GET TO THE DOCTOR ASAP!!!I have too many friends around my age, 50-ish, that ignored shoulder pain for too long.Surgeon opens them up, sees un-repairable damage and closes them up.You end up living with a dead arm.Almost always the right arm, so start practicing wiping with your left..not fun!

Speaking of aches and pains...anyone here have/had a Baker's cyst on their knee? Wife has one, going for the cortisone shot today, the cure is knee replacement surgery...she aggriveated it when she got bit by a copperhead on her left foot, started favoring the right leg with the cyst.

Broken

I found out ive got a small bakery syst on my knee too. MRI also showed severed PCL and other damage in there. Orthopedic said the cyst usually isnt anything to worry about. He says cortizone almost always relieves it. I just got diagnosed with carpal tunnel last week too! How much firewood would the Dr. take in trade for his services to fix this stuff?

Was just talking to a fella here at work who needs a knee replacement...I told him it would be cheaper for me to screw in a zerk fitting, and pump the knee up with grease!

Well, you just need to drink more faster. :greenchainsaw:

You could get a straw as well. No lifiting, and better effects of alcomahol... just don't mix with a saw, take 2 and head straight to bed.

IME Peacock's advice is THE Best!!!! My physio prescribed pretty much the same as his sister, and after 2+ years of suffering and getting worse, mine also went away in a couple of months with physio advice & some therapy. Ice, stretching, self massage (which hurts but helps), 2 different tendon pressure wraps to manouver the tendons in different ways when working, (each worn at different times).

Read and try Peacock's advice and or go see your own physio.

I've got that pain too, well the one in my forearm, and my elbow on my left arm. It alternates between that and the pain that runs down my shoulder into my bicep. It sucks, but I just keep powerin' through too.....Hurts sometimes just to to run my track loader and it has Pilot controls! I guess thats one of the costs of runnin a saw day after day after day.

I did a web search regarding tennis elbow and found a rehab site that showed exercises using a tennis ball and rubber bands.The ball you squeeze in sets of 25 and the band you expand (in a "o") with the tips of your fingers. I also have been wearing a "Bandit" elbow band.After less than a week, my elbow is (almost)pain-free.Try it; you can do the exercises while reading AS.

Latest posts

Back