electric winch on chipper?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kottonwood

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi there. I am wondering about putting an electric winch on a chipper. I have a 1996 morbark 2400 and a 15k ramsey winch. Winch was on a truck but I took it off. I am just wondering if the alternator/generator on a chipper is good enough to run the winch.

Thanks,
Keith

Thanks for the reply, that sounds all well and good but building a winch mount is literally gonna take me an hour or two with some of the scrap steel I have laying around... it already has a decent place to mount it. The only reason I am doing it is because I already have the winch and I don't have it mounted on a truck right now. I really don't want to drop a lot of cash into putting a winch on it. Just wondering if it would work or not. I imagine these chippers don't have much in the way of a charging system but I am not sure. I guess I could try to sell the winch and get a hydraulic one... but who wants that hassle.

I put a 3000lb on my bandit 200. It is slow but works. I'm thinking of buying a new carlton with a hydraulic winch on it.

Harbor Freight has winches on sale right now. I picked up a 5000lb badland winch for $160 to replace the 2000lb one i have on my chipper. 12,000lb badland winch is only $326

2 tree how does the battery hold up though? do you get say 2 pulls out of it 3? 5? or can you keep going and going? I'm thinking of rigging something up on mine cause I do a lot of work by my self or with just one other person so its looking pretty inviting :rock:

I had an old 12v manual swing/scope/angle truck crane on the toung of my old 1600 drum chipper for swinging logs into fuso and it would run batt down even with chipper on idle after loading a whle tree so had to idle it up at idle it would start banging out as the gas motor?coil would get low valts so had to idle it up but it served its porpose, infact I will miss it,
Paul

Latest posts

Back